Hall of Fame Game - Texans vs Bears - August 1st

adam

The Bears play a football game in two weeks. Obviously this game is going to be 90% backups and bottom of the roster guys, but we might see some rookies for a couple of plays. I can't believe we are only two weeks away. We made it! 

50 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I really think they should consider doubling the cap, expanding the roster to 80 players, and playing a 24-game schedule. ?

This long off-season is killing me!

LOL its killing all of us!

For the longest time the offseason was the best part of the year for us. We would get a new player or two and hope that we would field a competitive team. The best we did in a while was that Urlacher / Grossman team, and they werent really a great team. We lucked into the superbowl, and got taught a lesson in our second class status by Payton Manning, who we had no chance of beating even after Hester gave us a free 7 point advantage.

Now, finally, we have a roster. I dont know if it will be this year, but it could be - but soon this group of names is going to be among the best teams in the NFL.

All this to say, the regular season will finally be the best part of the year for our time, and I cant wait either.

Lets go!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

I think CW plays 2 series and sits.

As of today, he doesn't even know if they will let him play. He wants to but says it's not his call.  

Just listening to him interview today, man this kid is something special.  He is ages ahead of anything we have seen with understanding the position and reading defenses and how to place the ball. 

He might have a few snaps, but if they think the OL isnt ready to protect him, they could just skip it too.

Id say 50/50 he plays and if he does itll be fewer than 10 snaps, just one drive.

But Im just guessing.

19 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

He might have a few snaps, but if they think the OL isnt ready to protect him, they could just skip it too.

Id say 50/50 he plays and if he does itll be fewer than 10 snaps, just one drive.

But Im just guessing.

This is where I'm at.  Maybe one series just to let him "break the ice". 

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Flus said today , no starters are playing.

I was not a fan of Flus doing this last season and it showed early on that the team was not up to speed, especially QB1.  I appreciate his respect for his players health though and maybe that is why they didn't quit on him. 

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I was not a fan of Flus doing this last season and it showed early on that the team was not up to speed, especially QB1.  I appreciate his respect for his players health though and maybe that is why they didn't quit on him. 

You also have to remember that this is just fluff—an extra preseason game. I suspect we will see some reps from starters in the following regular preseason matchups. It seems every other day, I read about a player on another team going down for the season with an injury. The last thing we need is to lose one of our key starters. 

42 minutes ago, Pixote said:

You also have to remember that this is just fluff—an extra preseason game. I suspect we will see some reps from starters in the following regular preseason matchups. It seems every other day, I read about a player on another team going down for the season with an injury. The last thing we need is to lose one of our key starters. 

The Bears were racking them up in TC, which was the reason Flus decided not to give JF and key players the preseason action.  He said in a video that early injuries made them change their plans.

2 hours ago, Pixote said:

yeah this is preseason game #0, I think starters will get more reps this year than in years previous over games 1-3. But also, remember we do joint practices too, and so those have a lot of live, but scripted reps too.

I think things are just too new to put Caleb out there this week. You want to know you can protect him with the OL at least.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

yeah this is preseason game #0, I think starters will get more reps this year than in years previous over games 1-3. But also, remember we do joint practices too, and so those have a lot of live, but scripted reps too.

I think things are just too new to put Caleb out there this week. You want to know you can protect him with the OL at least.

For me part of it is - I don’t want Caleb playing against 2’s and 3’s. No benefit to Caleb and injury risk that some guy trying to make a name clobbers one of our starters just doesn’t add up.

This is me presuming Texans wouldn’t see any need to start 1s. If they were playing ones than I would be in. 

My guess is Caleb just plays in game 2 and 3. 

1 minute ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

For me part of it is - I don’t want Caleb playing against 2’s and 3’s. No benefit to Caleb and injury risk that some guy trying to make a name clobbers one of our starters just doesn’t add up.

This is me presuming Texans wouldn’t see any need to start 1s. If they were playing ones than I would be in. 

My guess is Caleb just plays in game 2 and 3. 

good point re: Texans not playing starters.

I wouldnt be shocked if Williams got a bunch of preseason snaps, but even so, this is a week early.

One other thing - to my point of have Caleb play the 1s. I don’t know if others have seen this or maybe I’m wrong, but I have taken note that Caleb is getting vast majority of his snaps against the 1s. 

Bears will occasionally work in 2s in with 1s but not as much of first team offense working against b defense. Like it - let iron sharpen iron and not baby this thing up for Caleb. I also think it is a good sign that Bears don’t see need to give him some “easier” reps. Felt like with Fields and Mitch they did it (in fairness they weren’t opening day starters either). 

1 minute ago, BearFan PHX said:

good point re: Texans not playing starters.

I wouldnt be shocked if Williams got a bunch of preseason snaps, but even so, this is a week early.

Yeah my guess is he plays a half in each of the 2 preseason games he plays. Try to make sure he gets a 2 minute drill and maybe in one of games have him come out and play one drive in a 3rd quarter (maybe game 3). 

3 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Yeah my guess is he plays a half in each of the 2 preseason games he plays. Try to make sure he gets a 2 minute drill and maybe in one of games have him come out and play one drive in a 3rd quarter (maybe game 3). 

I could see him playing in the last one too possibly - thats my only caveat, everything else is dead on, and you could be right about the last one too, Im just not sure.

The slow start last year was noticable but not sure we can say because of the first game. Its extra so they are treating it as not important. If someone would have got hurt, they was be roasted by us. So their just doing what they think is best. 

On a side note what time and channel(s) will the HOF Ceremony be aired?   Seeing Hester, Peppers, and Mongo inducted would be worth watching.   Still annoyed that they took too many years to to put Mongo in.  It's sad that in his current state he's not able fully celebrate being inducted.  He deserves better.