Caleb Williams Training Camp

AZ54

I don't really see a logical thread for tracking Williams progress.   I'm was actually shocked as I read this.   They certainly don't appear to be holding anything back with Williams.  He's going to experience it all and that means they think he can handle it and they want him ready for anything in game 1.  I figured first day in practice it's going to be kid gloves type of stuff like we've always seen before.  There are more tidbits in the article that further highlight improvement with Williams since the OTAs.    

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/bears-training-camp-report-saturday-july-20-caleb-williams-offense-play-of-the-day-injury-health-update

Rookie quarterback Caleb Williams and the No. 1 offense looked sharp.

"Really the whole day, I thought that was a great start for us," said receiver Keenan Allen. "We looked real solid; no repeats and everybody was on the same page.

"[Williams] called the plays way better than he was at OTAs. He felt confident in the plays and knowing what he was doing. There was no timidness from him today."

"We gave him a lot during the spring and in the summer: formation, motion, understanding a concept, run kills, killer to run, killer to pass, alerts," said coach Matt Eberflus. "All those things were a couple levels up, and you could see it. How do you see it? You see it in the execution. They're in and out of the huddle. I think we only had one today where they weren't, and it was much better."

"You'll see different rush groups in there because four equals one when you're rushing the quarterback," Eberflus said. "So we'll do a lot of that during this process.

"What that does is it gets experience and exposure for all of these guys, especially the quarterback. We're going to give him variations of all coverage, all blitz, everything he sees, fronts, everything he's going to see during the course of the year. And that's by design so he gets that exposure and experience to that."

sounds really good. glad to hear Bates get called out for doing well too in the run game.

I do think in the past, young QBs like Trubisky and Fields were at a disadvantage because they only got really strong defense to learn against in games. Williams ought to benefit a lot from our current roster, and it's good to hear they are throwing a lot of different fronts at him and the OL.

No offense to any previous starting QBs, but neither Justin or Mitch seemed like guys that could pick up things on the fly or under pressure. They both could throw the ball and if it was their first read, they were solid, but when they had to tap their head and rub their bellies at the same time, they struggled. This clearly separates the guys you win with, with the guys you win because of.

It is great to see Williams looking good this early. It takes a lot of reps to master anything, so he still has a ways to go, especially with the timing. 

The Bates news is exciting because that has been an area of concern for awhile now, if he can deliver the ball consistently and play average Center, the line is going to be really solid.

I've been watching the press conferences the last few days.  It is still early but so far this offense with Caleb is definitely not the usual rookie QB show.  There is so much more offense to install and timing to get down but as near as I can tell from reporters on the scene he is not overwhelmed by any of this.  His professional approach appears to be winning over the locker room on both side of the ball.   

Dexter just flat looks like a different man and is very mature in his approach to getting better.  Above all though was his confidence in himself as he spoke at the podium.  Dline depth will remain a concern until proven otherwise.  

So far I like this new DC Eric Washington.  Simple straight talking man but I get the sense if he tells you someone or something is good he means it.  Otherwise he's going to talk about what needs to be worked on.  Seems like the kind of leader players respect as a man and not just as the coach.  Time will tell if he can get results.  

4 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I've been watching the press conferences the last few days.  It is still early but so far this offense with Caleb is definitely not the usual rookie QB show.  There is so much more offense to install and timing to get down but as near as I can tell from reporters on the scene he is not overwhelmed by any of this.  His professional approach appears to be winning over the locker room on both side of the ball.   

Dexter just flat looks like a different man and is very mature in his approach to getting better.  Above all though was his confidence in himself as he spoke at the podium.  Dline depth will remain a concern until proven otherwise.  

So far I like this new DC Eric Washington.  Simple straight talking man but I get the sense if he tells you someone or something is good he means it.  Otherwise he's going to talk about what needs to be worked on.  Seems like the kind of leader players respect as a man and not just as the coach.  Time will tell if he can get results.  

yeah it's all very impressive, and not at all the norm for the Bears. This is a new era - the Poles era.

10 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I spend a lot of time scouring the internet for anything related to the Bears. It isn't easy to separate hype from reality. With that said, I honestly believe Dexter will be a monster 3T for us this year and going forward. Toward the end of last year, he provided us with a glimpse of his amazing talent. He redefined his body through diet and exercise. His attitude and motivation are top-notch.

I am also encouraged by our DC comments about Martin and Booker. This defense is on the verge of being a top 5.

One more thing. I keep hearing positives about Williams and Scott's development of chemistry. Scott seems to be making an impact in every capsule I read about the practices. He might become the receiver many of us envisioned when drafted. Could he be Allen's replacement? (With the need to extend DJ's contract, I wonder if we can afford to resign Allen).

11 hours ago, Pixote said:

I spend a lot of time scouring the internet for anything related to the Bears. It isn't easy to separate hype from reality. With that said, I honestly believe Dexter will be a monster 3T for us this year and going forward. Toward the end of last year, he provided us with a glimpse of his amazing talent. He redefined his body through diet and exercise. His attitude and motivation are top-notch.

I am also encouraged by our DC comments about Martin and Booker. This defense is on the verge of being a top 5.

One more thing. I keep hearing positives about Williams and Scott's development of chemistry. Scott seems to be making an impact in every capsule I read about the practices. He might become the receiver many of us envisioned when drafted. Could he be Allen's replacement? (With the need to extend DJ's contract, I wonder if we can afford to resign Allen).

I think Scott is always going to be what he is right now, a #4 WR.  I won't mind if he proves me wrong.  

43 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I think Scott is always going to be what he is right now, a #4 WR.  I won't mind if he proves me wrong.  

and with this roster, Scott could be really good and still be #4 - a 2 on another team even.

28 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

and with this roster, Scott could be really good and still be #4 - a 2 on another team even.

Glad Williams is connecting with Scott early and developing that rapport, because they will have splash plays and then Scott will be what he is.  But those splash plays will be game changers putting points up and can help the Bears achieve that spot we know is reachable. 

34 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Glad Williams is connecting with Scott early and developing that rapport, because they will have splash plays and then Scott will be what he is.  But those splash plays will be game changers putting points up and can help the Bears achieve that spot we know is reachable. 

for sure, and if some defense manages by some miracle to be able to cover DJ, Keenan and Rome, then god knows what trash theyll have covering Scott LOL

I know its antiquated, but we could employ a run n shoot 4 wide single back offense and be pretty dangerous lol

A good QB makes every WR look better. Also the OL will look better because of a better release time. Im an optimist and think this is all going to click early. Bear fans are reluctant because of our history. Our history changed the day Poles got here.

Scott is getting better, remember he dropped a few last year. Now he is catching but still falling down. Hopefully he can put it all together, catch the ball and stay on his feet.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Our history changed the day Poles got here.

I would venture to say it was Bill Polian that put his Midas touch on the franchise that led George to hire Poles.  But you are right, as Poles is actually doing the work.

2 hours ago, adam said:

Scott is getting better, remember he dropped a few last year. Now he is catching but still falling down. Hopefully he can put it all together, catch the ball and stay on his feet.

Then today, Caleb finds Velus Jones for a td.  It would be great if Caleb can elevate these two who have crazy speed and redeem Poles who saw something in them. 

25 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Then today, Caleb finds Velus Jones for a td.  It would be great if Caleb can elevate these two who have crazy speed and redeem Poles who saw something in them. 

for sure, and DJ, Allen and Odunze too - its a lot easier to catch a long go route TD when the defense has to cover those other guys, than when their #1 or #2 CB is on you.

Alright, finally we can start moving out of the speculation phase of the football season and into reality with some film breakdown of our first day in pads.   These are horrible angles for watching film but with the slowdown and replays you can glean a few things.  First and foremost is that Dexter is first off the ball on many plays and trying to run a slide protection on him is not going to be easy this year as Darnell Wright found out.   

Williams quick release and ability to throw from odd arm angles is evident as he invites a DE into his grill and then after the DE commits he calmly throws right around him for a screen to Swift.   I'd prefer he stop patting the ball before his one throw over the middle but regardless once he commits to the throw the ball is gone.  Amazing throw on the rollout to hit Scott for the TD in the corner 30yd downfield.  Speaking of that it seems that was by  designed that way with the blocking scheme.  There were also plays where it didn't look smooth or bad throws so there is work to be done.  

Billings looks to in good shape again pushing the pocket... he's not a pass rusher, just doing what he does to compress the pocket helps the others.  I didn't see much off the edge players but these are just a few plays.      

2 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Alright, finally we can start moving out of the speculation phase of the football season and into reality with some film breakdown of our first day in pads.

First and foremost is that Dexter is first off the ball on many plays and trying to run a slide protection on him is not going to be easy this year as Darnell Wright found out.  

amazing. it's one thing to see Dexter come up to speed with the rest, but to see him fastest off the ball after where he came from is truly remarkable. You gotta give Poles and the scouts props for seeing what he could become. Wow.

4 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

amazing. it's one thing to see Dexter come up to speed with the rest, but to see him fastest off the ball after where he came from is truly remarkable. You gotta give Poles and the scouts props for seeing what he could become. Wow.

I believe he had a freak RAS score, it was a matter of working on his post snap movement. At Florida, he was a man eater tying up 2 players.  Here he is an attacker beating one man gaps. 

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I believe he had a freak RAS score, it was a matter of working on his post snap movement. At Florida, he was a man eater tying up 2 players.  Here he is an attacker beating one man gaps. 

yeah he always had a high RAS, but he was so slow off the snap - we know the reasons, 2 gap, playing weight etc, but still I give the staff credit for seeing what he could become thru what he was on film.

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

yeah he always had a high RAS, but he was so slow off the snap - we know the reasons, 2 gap, playing weight etc, but still I give the staff credit for seeing what he could become thru what he was on film.

The other reason was the scheme at Florida asked him to just stand up, read, then react.  It wasn't just 2-gap, they didn't want any type of attacking forward until the play was declared.  College football defenses are just odd these days, which is my way of saying most of them are boring to watch.  

2 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

The other reason was the scheme at Florida asked him to just stand up, read, then react.  It wasn't just 2-gap, they didn't want any type of attacking forward until the play was declared.  College football defenses are just odd these days, which is my way of saying most of them are boring to watch.  

I totally get it. But it's kind of like saying Justin Fields is gonna be a great QB because he didnt have WRs or good protection. You can understand why Dexter didnt look like an active 3T, and you could look at his RAS scores and understand there was an athlete there, but without seeing it on film, you have to take a leap of faith that he will become an active 3T and that his personality will fit that quicker role too.

I guess Im just saying that if any scouting department could look at his RAS, and understand his 2 gap assignments in Florida that they could reasonably predict the player he has become, then he wouldnt have lasted until the 2nd round?

So yeah I agree, it wasnt out of the blue, there were reasons to believe, mitigating factors to understand, but it's also is a win for our scouting department and position coaches who identified him and brought him through this incredible transformation to where he is now.

Even the first half of last year it took time and training to speed up his reaction off the ball. And he did. Win for the Bears!

11 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I totally get it. But it's kind of like saying Justin Fields is gonna be a great QB because he didnt have WRs or good protection. You can understand why Dexter didnt look like an active 3T, and you could look at his RAS scores and understand there was an athlete there, but without seeing it on film, you have to take a leap of faith that he will become an active 3T and that his personality will fit that quicker role too.

I guess Im just saying that if any scouting department could look at his RAS, and understand his 2 gap assignments in Florida that they could reasonably predict the player he has become, then he wouldnt have lasted until the 2nd round?

So yeah I agree, it wasnt out of the blue, there were reasons to believe, mitigating factors to understand, but it's also is a win for our scouting department and position coaches who identified him and brought him through this incredible transformation to where he is now.

Even the first half of last year it took time and training to speed up his reaction off the ball. And he did. Win for the Bears!

For sure.  The emphasis on drafting players with good character increases the odds they will put the work in to make themselves successful.   It won't always work out as with Justin Fields but that gets countered with a starting LT from the 5th Rd.  For whatever his faults were Justin Fields didn't fail for lack of effort as we saw with Rex Grossman and Cade McNown.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

For sure.  The emphasis on drafting players with good character increases the odds they will put the work in to make themselves successful.   It won't always work out as with Justin Fields but that gets countered with a starting LT from the 5th Rd.  For whatever his faults were Justin Fields didn't fail for lack of effort as we saw with Rex Grossman and Cade McNown.  

Agree with everything. Something I think we under estimated was the development of players by this coachung staff.  A lot of players was high upside but truthfully not all will work out but think Dexter is one that will. i see people saying V Jones is looking good, maybe the end story turns out well.

2 hours ago, AZ54 said:

totally agree!