Caleb Williams Training Camp

AZ54

If Dexter can be a threat from the inside at 3T, this is probably a 12-win team as the DLine was the biggest weakness. Right now from all reports, Sweat, Dexter, and Billings have been dominating and Booker looks legit.

Now they need to get the O-Line settled. The projected starting 5 have not played together yet. 

3 hours ago, adam said:

If Dexter can be a threat from the inside at 3T, this is probably a 12-win team as the DLine was the biggest weakness. Right now from all reports, Sweat, Dexter, and Billings have been dominating and Booker looks legit.

Now they need to get the O-Line settled. The projected starting 5 have not played together yet. 

yeah and we dont know if Davis is even in our future. Eberflus called him out this week.

26 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

yeah and we dont know if Davis is even in our future. Eberflus called him out this week.

If he truly is being a turd, I would love to see them cut Davis. (But it's not cap friendly)  Keep him as a backup for this season, then cut him as late as possible next year.  That way it's as painful as possible.  Poles has shown his respect, in the way he dealt Fields.  It's time to show that he can be vengeful if a player steals from the team.

5 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

If he truly is being a turd, I would love to see them cut Davis. (But it's not cap friendly)  Keep him as a backup for this season, then cut him as late as possible next year.  That way it's as painful as possible.  Poles has shown his respect, in the way he dealt Fields.  It's time to show that he can be vengeful if a player steals from the team.

Yeah, I am running out of patience for Davis. He really does seem like a turd. I know he can play, but i gotta wonder if his heart is in it.

• 3 weeks later...

Not a lot of discussion here but quietly Caleb Williams outplayed Joe Burrow in practice yesterday.  It’s practice so whatever but  there has never been a time where Bears fans said after 3 weeks of practice our rookie QB would be able to look better than a top 5 QB.   Even Bengals media were impressed.  

On 8/16/2024 at 2:37 PM, AZ54 said:

Not a lot of discussion here but quietly Caleb Williams outplayed Joe Burrow in practice yesterday.  It’s practice so whatever but  there has never been a time where Bears fans said after 3 weeks of practice our rookie QB would be able to look better than a top 5 QB.   Even Bengals media were impressed.  

I dont disagree but he has a hand injury and Chase , Higgins areny playing.

I'm watching Caleb on Hard Knocks, I was reminded of something I said about him from the combine.  He just seems to be that dude walking through the park on a sunny day.  The guy that catches your eye because he's looking at his surroundings in a way that only you thought you understood in your most peaceful place.  Even when he couldn't hear the incoming calls, no problem.  No animation.  Just calm.  Then he floats around between play, enjoying the process without a care in the world. 

This dude is different.  I can't say I understand it, but I honestly like it because it seems beyond what I can comprehend. Is it like Steph Curry at the end of gold medal game?  Joe Montana pointing out John Candy from the huddle before a SuperBowl winning drive?  Who says they've not been nervous since their freshmen year in HS?  It's almost sociopathic in a competitive sense.  We're in for a treat if this kid stays healthy.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

Joe Montana pointing out John Candy from the huddle before a SuperBowl winning drive?  Who says they've not been nervous since their freshmen year in HS?  It's almost sociopathic in a competitive sense.  We're in for a treat if this kid stays healthy.

He really does seem to have that special quality.

I've told this story here before, but I'll tell it again. I met Joe Montana once (years ago), spent about 5 minutes talking to him. He was the single most boring person I've ever met. Like aggressively vanilla. And I wondered if this was just a total calm that let him keep the ship moving forward no matter how big the moment. You mention the word sociopathic, and I totally get it - not in an evil way - but in a detached way. Like nothing is going to get in the way of this movie. As if no obstacle could ever even get his attention enough to manifest itself as an actual problem in his world.

"The Super Bowl is on the line? No biggie. Oh look, there's John Candy. LOL OK look I'll just throw you the ball and you catch it OK? Like ever other time we ever did that simple thing."

Now Caleb does have outward emotions, yelling when he's happy or frustrated. ANd that's all very good, and very competitive. But you're right, he feels mentally like nothing is going to stop this train. Not nervous. Destiny awaits!

I cant wait to see this team in real game action and start to really see where the problems are, and how we fix them. This is feeling very good.

• 2 weeks later...

Listening to the most recent Adam Rank Podcast with Tyler Scott. Scott remarked about how he could tell that the game was slowing down for Williams, which is huge if true because that is one of the few things that crush rookie QBs.

51 minutes ago, adam said:

Listening to the most recent Adam Rank Podcast with Tyler Scott. Scott remarked about how he could tell that the game was slowing down for Williams, which is huge if true because that is one of the few things that crush rookie QBs.

It would be.  In preseason you could tell he was still reading things slowly.  I saw him hesitate in similar ways to Justin but there’s one big difference.  Williams release time is about one quarter to one third of Fields.  With similar arm strength he can get by holding the ball just a bit longer to make sure the play is open.  Likewise simple plays like WR bubble screens get the ball into the receivers hands about a second earlier.  It will be easier for Caleb to get the simple positive plays which should help him gain confidence until he’s more comfortable reading the middle of the field.