DJ Moore gets 4-yr extension - $110M, $86M Guaranteed

adam

It says extension, and he was already under contract thru 2025, so I wonder if this pushes him out until 2029 or if they are overwriting 2025 and this really goes from 25-28.

Either way, DJ is locked in thru at least 2028, which is Caleb's 5th year option year.

Great move as the WR market was exploding. He would get $5M more per year next offseason. Poles locks him up a year early, and he will be a bargain in 2 years. 

DJ will become the Bears all-time leading WR in just about every category.

28 minutes ago, adam said:

It says extension, and he was already under contract thru 2025, so I wonder if this pushes him out until 2029 or if they are overwriting 2025 and this really goes from 25-28.

Either way, DJ is locked in thru at least 2028, which is Caleb's 5th year option year.

Great move as the WR market was exploding. He would get $5M more per year next offseason. Poles locks him up a year early, and he will be a bargain in 2 years. 

DJ will become the Bears all-time leading WR in just about every category.

This guy signed on when we had JF as QB1, now he gets a phenom that can elevate him to who knows where.  Smart guy to be locked in with Caleb and Odunze.

Fantastic! As has already been noted above, by signing him now, with WR contracts escalating rapidly, we not only save big time going forward but also ensure we do not lose him in the free-agent market. That trade with Carolina will be remembered as one of the best negotiated in the history of the NFL.

Just saw this on the Bears.com site, answering a question posed:

The Bears on Tuesday locked up a key member of their offense by signing star receiver DJ Moore to a four-year contract extension through the 2029 season.

So he continues on his current contract for 2024 & 2025, then the new 4 yr. contract kicks in, assuring he is a Bear for 6 more years.

33 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Fantastic! As has already been noted above, by signing him now, with WR contracts escalating rapidly, we not only save big time going forward but also ensure we do not lose him in the free-agent market. That trade with Carolina will be remembered as one of the best negotiated in the history of the NFL.

Just saw this on the Bears.com site, answering a question posed:

So he continues on his current contract for 2024, then the new 4 yr. contract kicks in, assuring he is a Bear for 5 more years.

Love the long term prospect of the deal but it's also a huge injury gamble.  DJ gets the huge guaranteed money locked in really early and Poles gets a bargain relative the future market.  It'd be hard to find a better player to put that bet on.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

Love the long term prospect of the deal but it's also a huge injury gamble.  DJ gets the huge guaranteed money locked in really early and Poles gets a bargain relative the future market.  It'd be hard to find a better player to put that bet on.  

All big contracts are gambles.  This is a slam dunk gamble if there ever was one.  Stud player with limited injury history...

And you get the long term value of the kind of "ESP" that develops when players play together for a long period of time, and get used to how each other is going to see things, and timing stuff etc.

Williams, DJ and Odunze into the foreseeable future. That's fantastic.

AZ54 is right about the injury gamble, but like Mongo says, all big contrasts are gambles, and this seems like a really good bet.

Great news.

4 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

And you get the long term value of the kind of "ESP" that develops when players play together for a long period of time, and get used to how each other is going to see things, and timing stuff etc.

Williams, DJ and Odunze into the foreseeable future. That's fantastic.

AZ54 is right about the injury gamble, but like Mongo says, all big contrasts are gambles, and this seems like a really good bet.

Great news.

They also get to spread guaranteed over the 6 years I think so that probably helps the cap situation, especially when Rome and Caleb are coming due. 

Fun to see Bears able to extend some existing talent (albeit I really look forward to getting to point it’s our home grown talent being extended like this :)). 

Kmet still only one I can think of…hopefully we start seeing an era where lots of our own draft picks are getting taken care of like this!!! 

But I lile message this sends. Highly productive player who has been great in lockeroom and community and taking care of him. Shows Poles understands pecking order and what is necessary and how to handle. 

spotrac doesnt have all the years mapped out yet, but they do say DJ Moore is an unrestricted free agent for the 2030 season. So we get 6 more years of him, that goes thru and 1 year past Caleb's 5th year option.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id/25119/dj-moore

His next 2 yrs are a bargain at 16 mil per year. A reward for future monies is cap friendly the length of the contract in comparision to money being paid even this yr. He is setting up key people to make a long run with the rookie deal for CW. At this point in Ryan Pace history cycle, he started giving money to non stars. Mike Glennon name comes to mind. Whwn Poles said he wanted to build a winner to substain for many yrs, this is how you do it.

Thru 2027 he has these players signed.  (2027) bonus +salary

Montez Sweat     $4,085,295-$21,000,000

Jaylon Johnson     $5,000,000-$16,000,000

Cole Kmet     $1,600,000-$10,000,000

Caleb Williams   $12,563,746

Cairo Santos   $560,000-$3,200,000

Rome Odunze   $7,230,523

Kiran Amegadjie  $280,331-$1,601,499      potenial LT

Tory Taylor   $186,975-$1,190,000

Austin Booker    $87,284-$1,190,000     potenial edge star

Man I love this signing. Also to note, the guaranteed money is actually just guaranteeing what he had left on his current contract. So technically only $50M of new money guaranteed. That is a bargain for a guy of Moore's caliber. He didn't have to sign an extension now either. So he literally took one for the team here. He could've made $5-10M more per year if he signed next offseason. His contract won't even be a top 10 deal next year. Crazy good deal for Poles.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

His next 2 yrs are a bargain at 16 mil per year. A reward for future monies is cap friendly the length of the contract in comparision to money being paid even this yr. He is setting up key people to make a long run with the rookie deal for CW. At this point in Ryan Pace history cycle, he started giving money to non stars. Mike Glennon name comes to mind. Whwn Poles said he wanted to build a winner to substain for many yrs, this is how you do it.

Thru 2027 he has these players signed.  (2027) bonus +salary

Montez Sweat     $4,085,295-$21,000,000

Jaylon Johnson     $5,000,000-$16,000,000

Cole Kmet     $1,600,000-$10,000,000

Caleb Williams   $12,563,746

Cairo Santos   $560,000-$3,200,000

Rome Odunze   $7,230,523

Kiran Amegadjie  $280,331-$1,601,499      potenial LT

Tory Taylor   $186,975-$1,190,000

Austin Booker    $87,284-$1,190,000     potenial edge star

Wright as well.

I like to do it in 3-yr blocks. That is normally the amount of time it takes to refresh an entire roster. So here is the currently signed players on offense, defense, and ST thru 2026:

Offense: Williams, Swift, Johnson, Moore, Odunze, Scott, Kmet, Wright, and Amegadjie. That is potentially 8 starters locked in for the next 3 years. They just need to lock down the O-Line. Jenkins may be next.

Defense: Sweat, Dexter, Pickens, Booker, Edmunds, Sewell, Johnson, Stevenson, and Smith. At least 7 potential starters for the next 3 years. 

ST: Santos and Taylor

So 17 potential starters out of 24 spots locked up for the next 3 years.

Poles is really building a sustainable roster. Extend 2-3 guys a year with overlapping deals so guys are coming off contracts while other guys are getting extended. 

I honestly doubt he ever goes big in free agency again. He will make some deadline trades and then recoup comp picks so he can have enough players on rookie deals when he has to pay Williams $60M a year. 

I think Mike Glennon was a matter of wanting a vet QB until the rookie was ready, and the price for a vet QB is just high. I dont think they thought Glennon was the future or anything, which is why it was a shorter deal. So I dont think you can use Glennon as a measuring stick for long range plans or anything like that?

The rest all makes sense to me tho.

50 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I think Mike Glennon was a matter of wanting a vet QB until the rookie was ready, and the price for a vet QB is just high. I dont think they thought Glennon was the future or anything, which is why it was a shorter deal. So I dont think you can use Glennon as a measuring stick for long range plans or anything like that?

The rest all makes sense to me tho.

I was trying to give an example of Pace's bad decisions with money. !4 mil was absurd considering how bad he was. In his 10 year career he never made more than 2 mil. 

6 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I was trying to give an example of Pace's bad decisions with money. !4 mil was absurd considering how bad he was. In his 10 year career he never made more than 2 mil. 

he paid what the market would bear. Im not saying Pace was good at his job, but i dont think he made the mistake youre saying he made. Other teams were interested and the price was what it was - short term to fill in until the rookie was ready.

Also Glennon was coming off of his rookie deal, so this was his second contract, which is always a lot bigger if someone thinks he is a starter.

I just think people misunderstand what the Glennon strategy was. He was never going to be our long term starter, and a stop gap QB still costs a fortune if they are coming off a rookie deal and this is their first chance to test the market.

Was Glennon good? Nope. He wasnt. We agree about that. Was he worth the money long term? No again, we also agree, but was he worth the money for a short term until the rookie was ready? That was the move.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

he paid what the market would bear. Im not saying Pace was good at his job, but i dont think he made the mistake youre saying he made. Other teams were interested and the price was what it was - short term to fill in until the rookie was ready.

Also Glennon was coming off of his rookie deal, so this was his second contract, which is always a lot bigger if someone thinks he is a starter.

I just think people misunderstand what the Glennon strategy was. He was never going to be our long term starter, and a stop gap QB still costs a fortune if they are coming off a rookie deal and this is their first chance to test the market.

Was Glennon good? Nope. He wasnt. We agree about that. Was he worth the money long term? No again, we also agree, but was he worth the money for a short term until the rookie was ready? That was the move.

Glennon wasn’t the mistake.  Trubisky was.  Every GM has to field a full team every season and sometimes that forces bad short term decisions.   Or perhaps we should say difficult decisions.   You can add Lucas Patrick to that list so Poles isn’t  immune.   

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

Glennon wasn’t the mistake.  Trubisky was.  Every GM has to field a full team every season and sometimes that forces bad short term decisions.   Or perhaps we should say difficult decisions.   You can add Lucas Patrick to that list so Poles isn’t  immune.   

well said. That's how I see it too. Glennon was a short term move. The $ looks big, but we had it to spend that year. The real problem was the long term plan.

And Poles has Claypool too. And Velus Jones Jr. But once he got situated, and was making more long term moves, he seems to be making a lot of good choices.

He still needs to fix the OL tho it seems.

DJ was one of the players for the media availability today. He basically said he thought he outplayed his current contract and wanted the guarantees over the bigger pay day. He also alluded to the fact that he took a team friendly deal and was very excited to play with Caleb and Rome. He mentioned Rome several times. He also ask Keenan how much is it going to take to get him to extend. So we will see. I don't think the Bears can afford him after this year unless he takes a team friendly vet deal to play for a winner.