Hard Knocks Open Thread - Debuts on August 6th

adam

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Actually have never watched hard knocks, I will this time.

They do a good job of showing a lot of different things in a short amount of time.

Just watched Hard Knocks episode 1 - theres lots to say, but i just want to say this:

Eberflus looks great. Everything i was worried about from last year i no longer am. He seems dialed in, and right where he should be. Awesome.

8 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Just watched Hard Knocks episode 1 - theres lots to say, but i just want to say this:

Eberflus looks great. Everything i was worried about from last year i no longer am. He seems dialed in, and right where he should be. Awesome.

I didn't know they put these together so quickly. So they basically compiled video from Thursday night into an episode release on Tuesday night, so less than 5 full days. That is impressive.

Episode Takeaways -

• Williams would be one of the most unlikely busts ever if he busts
  • Flus increased his stock, he looked much more in control of the entire operation
  • I still cannot believe the Bears have Moore, Allen, and Odunze as their top 3 WRs
  • Johnson sure feels like the bottom of the roster guy that they follow for the entire series that the Bears cut in the last episode. There is always one.
  • I would like to see more of the defense, that is probably coming in episode 2
  • Hopefully they highlight some of the other young guys (Booker, Taylor, Stevenson, Wright).
  • I can't believe I saw Nate Davis as he has barely practiced

I would add that Poles seemed more upset with the Theo Benedet injury than he should have given his position on the depth chart. Poles actually rubbed his face in an "ugh" gesture.

That tells me that Poles knows there is more trouble on the OL than there should be, and he was hoping to have a lot of bodies so that someone could step up.

Also, the timing of the DJ Moore extension leads me to guess that they are freeing up cap room for a big acquisition. Maybe Connor Williams, maybe a DE, maybe a trade for a player not currently on our radar, and possibly on the OL?

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Also, the timing of the DJ Moore extension leads me to guess that they are freeing up cap room for a big acquisition. Maybe Connor Williams, maybe a DE, maybe a trade for a player not currently on our radar, and possibly on the OL?

Connor Williams just signed with Seattle.

Ex-Dolphins OL Connor Williams signing one-year, $6M deal with Seahawks

4 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Thanks for that, and too bad for us :(

I'm guessing his injury is the issue. Otherwise, Miami would not have released him, and it wouldn't have taken this long for another team to sign him.

12 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I'm guessing his injury is the issue. Otherwise, Miami would not have released him, and it wouldn't have taken this long for another team to sign him.

for sure - its taking a flyer on a guy who probably wont be there opening day.

I still think we are going to make a trade. Weve got cap room, and two second rounders in our pocket. I cant guess who the trade would be though, any more than ANYONE thought Montez Sweat was on the block before we made that trade.

5 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I would add that Poles seemed more upset with the Theo Benedet injury than he should have given his position on the depth chart. Poles actually rubbed his face in an "ugh" gesture.

That tells me that Poles knows there is more trouble on the OL than there should be, and he was hoping to have a lot of bodies so that someone could step up.

I saw it more as, the team really loves this guy and Poles was hoping he got a steal.  Now, the young man has next year to try again.

6 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I saw it more as, the team really loves this guy and Poles was hoping he got a steal.  Now, the young man has next year to try again.

I agree, it's kinda the same thing. He was hoping he got a steal, meaning a player. And given what a mess the OL is right now, another player would be helpful.

To be clear I'm not saying that somehow Poles was counting on him being a starter or anything, but I do think with Davis and Jenkins, he has to be thinking about hedging his bets and having bodies that can play if necessary, and he probably wanted Benedet as part of that competition.

I think that since we've freed up cap space signing DJ, the odds of bringing in a new guy on the interior OL is increasing, whether by camp cut, or trade.

But one way or another, we are looking thin on the interior OL right now.

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, CrackerDog said:

Thought I’d bring this to the top. I don’t have HBO so was wondering if the show provided any insights that haven’t already been shared in this thread.  Most interested in chemistry between CW and the offensive players.  

I haven't seen it either, but from everything that I have seen, the chemistry is above and beyond from any of that I've seen before with QBs and team.   The team/players came to him from the draft process and he took it in and has ran with it.  I think we are in for a special run with a "lebron" era as much as it hurts to say.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hard Knocks showed me so much about Flus and Poles.  They are in it to lead by example, better than any coaches I've ever seen us have.  They treat the players like family, but give tough love and hard coaching when needed.  Flus is out there working as hard as any player, all while keeping an incredible demeanor.  He his message doesn't get lost in the delivery and Poles makes sure to only bring in those that will receive it correctly.  Something I quietly caught was Poles saying that all the cuts wanted to be on the practice squad.  Hear's a place players want to be.  If Caleb is the real deal, players will come out of the woodwork to come for a chance at a ring.  I loved the humanity and sincerity they both displayed.