Projecting the 53-man

adam

5 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Billings as a 3T? He IS extremely strong...

Billings is the outlier. Its Dexter to NT and Walker to 3 T. or Pickens. They signed a FA Jaylon Huchings so I think they are still looking for the backup to Billings. Not sure if anyone is out there but I think they deem that more need than edge.

I've got 2 QBs:  Williams and Bagent.  We keep one of Rypien/Reed on PS and after watching the KC game I don't care which one.  

If we're keeping 4 RBs I'm taking Velus over Homer.  He showed tonight he's the better RB and he's got as much or more versatility on special teams.  

------

This new rule is going to factor into the 53 this year possibly with Borom's injury if it's not season ending:

"Previously a player needed to make the 53-man roster to be eligible to return to the 53-man roster. That means guys placed on IR during training camp, when teams can carry 90 players, couldn’t be designated to return. Instead, players needed to make the 53-man roster on final cut day, then be placed on IR.

However, according to a memo distributed by NFL Network reporter Tom Pelissero, the league has tweaked IR rules this year to allow players to return to the 53-man roster if they are placed on IR on cut down day."

5 hours ago, AZ54 said:

3 to IR.    No more discusión about wheeler vs Jones but he shows promise for next year     

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/bears/2024/08/24/bears-place-ian-wheeler-nsimba-webster-douglas-coleman-on-injured-reserve/74934179007/

Ugh on Wheeler. Tough to come back from an ACL and fight for a roster spot next year.

Current 53-man Roster:

QB - Williams, Bagent
RB - Swift, Herbert, Johnson, Homer, Blasingame
TE - Kmet, Everett, Lewis
WR - Moore, Allen, Odunze, Scott, Jones Jr, Carter
OL - Jones, Wright, Shelton, Jenkins, Davis, Murray, Bates, Pryor, Amegadjie, Kramer

DL - Sweat, Taylor, Walker, Hardy, Booker, Dexter, Billings, Williams, Pickens, Robinson
LB - Edmunds, Edwards, Sanborn, Sewell, Ogbongbemiga
CB - Johnson, Stevenson, Gordon, Smith, Jones, Blackwell
S - Brisker, Byard, Hicks, Owens

ST - Santos, Taylor, (Daly - will be elevated from PS on Week 1)

Blasingame was added in place of Scales, so I assume Kramer (to PS), Bates (injury), or Pickens (injury) will have to be dropped off the 53-man to elevate Daly. 

16-player practice squad:

QB Austin Reed
TE Stephen Carlson
WR Collin Johnson
WR Samori Toure (GB, 7th Round)
OL Theo Benedet
OL Jake Curhan
OL Chris Glase (NYJ, UDFA)

DL Sam Roberts (NE, 6th Round)
DL Byron Cowart
DL Jamree Kromah
LB Micah Baskerville