Preseason Week 2 Game Thread - Bengals at Bears, NFLN, Sat, 8-17, 12pm Central

adam

One thing that didn’t stand out to me was poor play from the offensive line.  Was it that Caleb moved around in the pocket to avoid the rush (which he did quite nicely) or that the line was playing well.  Would love to get your thoughts.  I plan to watch the first half again tomorrow so might be able to answer my own question.  

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That td he threw to Rome was real pretty (despite Rome being out). Drive before was good too - that was a dime to Tyler Scott (on the pass interference). If he isn’t interfered with that might have been a 50 yard td. 

He was definitely rushing things and had a few spots where him rushing caused his footwork and mechanics to be rushed but there were a few special throws / plays in there too. 

Another overall great team effort. 

Swift and Johnson did not play, so it seemed the first offense lacked a receiving threat out of the backfield. Homer is terrible and the Velus experiment has to end. He is taking reps from others for no reason. Now, if they were looking to trade him, they are not doing him or the team any favors with his trade value. 

The defense hasn't allowed a TD in 8+ quarters of football. I don't care if it is the preseason, that is impressive. They continue to get sacks and INTs which is great to see regardless of the players on the field. It is a mentality thing. I am still concerned about the run and screen defense. 

I would say it was an off day for Caleb, but his stats are worse than he actually played. If Scott catches the deep ball instead of the penalty, Williams' stats basically flip on one pass. Also, Odunze gets his feet inbounds and Williams might have 2 passing TDs to go with the rushing TD. His improv stuff is off the charts. If he can play in system, he is easily a top 5 QB.

Only 1 sack given up by the offense and that was on Caleb. So the O-Line is holding up, which is shocking.

The most important thing we've learned from this pre-season is that Caleb's special traits will pretty clearly translate to this level. That's all that matters in pre-season, is seeing whether or not those traits show up on tape from your drafted players.

We knew from Justin Fields' first pre-season game that he had elite speed. Caleb's pocket mobility and playmaking skills on the run is uncanny. He was toying with the defensive lineman out there. 

He struggled with accuracy early on, but those are things he can learn from. I did like the fact that he didn't put the ball in harm's way this week. Could have had two explosive throws downfield if Tyler Scott wasn't held on the DPI. It was a perfect ball.

Overall, you have to be really pleased with how he's looked in these two pre-season games. There's definitely room for growth, but like I said, the traits are there. 

4 hours ago, adam said:

Another overall great team effort. 

Swift and Johnson did not play, so it seemed the first offense lacked a receiving threat out of the backfield. Homer is terrible and the Velus experiment has to end. He is taking reps from others for no reason. Now, if they were looking to trade him, they are not doing him or the team any favors with his trade value. 

The defense hasn't allowed a TD in 8+ quarters of football. I don't care if it is the preseason, that is impressive. They continue to get sacks and INTs which is great to see regardless of the players on the field. It is a mentality thing. I am still concerned about the run and screen defense. 

I would say it was an off day for Caleb, but his stats are worse than he actually played. If Scott catches the deep ball instead of the penalty, Williams' stats basically flip on one pass. Also, Odunze gets his feet inbounds and Williams might have 2 passing TDs to go with the rushing TD. His improv stuff is off the charts. If he can play in system, he is easily a top 5 QB.

Only 1 sack given up by the offense and that was on Caleb. So the O-Line is holding up, which is shocking.

I totally disagree with you about Velus. He looks good at RB. Runs with some pop. Reports are that he's had a great last couple days in training camp at his new position. I'm not big on Roschon Johnson at all anymore. He looks very ordinary as a runner, doesn't make people miss and doesn't break as many tackles as you thought he would coming out of college. Velus, if he can hold on to the ball (which is a big IF), gives this offense a real speed threat they don't have with anyone else.

He didn't have many opportunities out there today, but I'm totally on board with this experiment. I've been calling this positional change for 2 years now. He can't catch, but every time he's gotten an end around in an actual game, he almost always does something positive with it.

9 hours ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

I totally disagree with you about Velus. He looks good at RB. Runs with some pop. Reports are that he's had a great last couple days in training camp at his new position. I'm not big on Roschon Johnson at all anymore. He looks very ordinary as a runner, doesn't make people miss and doesn't break as many tackles as you thought he would coming out of college. Velus, if he can hold on to the ball (which is a big IF), gives this offense a real speed threat they don't have with anyone else.

He didn't have many opportunities out there today, but I'm totally on board with this experiment. I've been calling this positional change for 2 years now. He can't catch, but every time he's gotten an end around in an actual game, he almost always does something positive with it.

That's fine we can agree to disagree. I just don't see anything where you would want him running the ball over someone like Wheeler. He would be the worst RB on the roster and if he is a WR, he would be the worst WR on the roster. So why keep him? If he was a 4th round or later pick, he would've been cut this offseason.

What did you see from him in this game? He had one 7 yard run, then had 6 rushes for 6 yards after that. Just from going over his entire body of work, and after 2+ years and 3 training camps and this NOW they are experimenting with him at RB tells me we are nearing the end. 

I don't know if it's the lack of game planning or just preseason vanilla play calling but this new offense so far is traditional Bears stuff.  We have far too much talent for it to look that bad.  I don't know if that's Williams holding onto the ball too long, which seems most likely, or nobody getting open.  Williams talent on broken plays is good but he's supposed to be the one who can play on time.  Let's hope as the coaches pull back on the playbook for the start of the season and he gains more reps that starts to show up.     

48 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I don't know if it's the lack of game planning or just preseason vanilla play calling but this new offense so far is traditional Bears stuff.  We have far too much talent for it to look that bad.  I don't know if that's Williams holding onto the ball too long, which seems most likely, or nobody getting open.  Williams talent on broken plays is good but he's supposed to be the one who can play on time.  Let's hope as the coaches pull back on the playbook for the start of the season and he gains more reps that starts to show up.     

They are running slants successfully in practice.  That's an enormous upgrade that will be unveiled. Wasn't on the playbook the last three years.

47 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Williams talent on broken plays is good but he's supposed to be the one who can play on time.  Let's hope as the coaches pull back on the playbook for the start of the season and he gains more reps that starts to show up.     

For sure. THe creative stuff is necessary and will win games for us, but when Caleb can operate in rhythm in the pocket, then it's gonna be hard to stop us.

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

For sure. THe creative stuff is necessary and will win games for us, but when Caleb can operate in rhythm in the pocket, then it's gonna be hard to stop us.

What I saw in yesterday's game was a QB that went through his reads, stayed in the pocket and delivered when he could, ran out of trouble when he didn't have time and did not run into sacks. I saw a lot of potential and I'm hyped that we have a legit QB for the first time in a very long time.

2 hours ago, ChileBear said:

What I saw in yesterday's game was a QB that went through his reads, stayed in the pocket and delivered when he could, ran out of trouble when he didn't have time and did not run into sacks. I saw a lot of potential and I'm hyped that we have a legit QB for the first time in a very long time.

totally agree. I think Caleb is "on schedule" for greatness. Im just saying, there are areas he will grow in. Im not part of the narrative that says he cant do that, I just think, like any rookie, there is room for improvement in his in-structure QBing. I guess, Im also saying his off schedule is already as good as anyone's, so it's the in-pocket stuff to expect growth.

I think he is going to be a major hero for us and the entire league.

While I see room for growth, I also see that the game is not too big for him.  It seems as though he manipulates vs being manipulated.  It is the same thing Mahommes and Rodgers do.  It's cool collected calculated and simply cold.  This is my playground type of mentality and I love it.  I'm looking for rhythm just like everyone else, but the WTF stuff is there, in a good way...

15 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

While I see room for growth, I also see that the game is not too big for him.  It seems as though he manipulates vs being manipulated.  It is the same thing Mahommes and Rodgers do.  It's cool collected calculated and simply cold.  This is my playground type of mentality and I love it.  I'm looking for rhythm just like everyone else, but the WTF stuff is there, in a good way...

totally. he is already moving defenders with his eyes. He is "pro ready"

I think it will be a comfort thing with him. I felt like he was pressing at the beginning of the Bengals game. Playing ahead of rhythm (new to see in Chicago) and that as he settles in hes going to be even more dangerous.

Bagent doesnt have the arm strength, off platform ability, improvisational stuff, but he sure does play in rhythm. He looked so relaxed out there, like the game was slow for him.

If Caleb is here now, imagine when he has 5 games under his belt.

Also, he's going to have bad days. So Im looking forward to being here for Chapter 1 of the Caleb Williams saga, and watching him develop.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

totally agree. I think Caleb is "on schedule" for greatness. Im just saying, there are areas he will grow in. Im not part of the narrative that says he cant do that, I just think, like any rookie, there is room for improvement in his in-structure QBing. I guess, Im also saying his off schedule is already as good as anyone's, so it's the in-pocket stuff to expect growth.

I think he is going to be a major hero for us and the entire league.

After listening to hiIs post-game press conference I'd say he agrees there is much to work on.   I've watched a couple film sessions on him (Chase Daniels, and part-way through JT's) and so far it feels more like Caleb was trying to force the ball to a few players.  Maybe he was guilty of trying to get everyone involved because there were just a few big throws the previous game?   He's got three weeks to settle in.   Hopefully the offensive starters get one series in the next preseason game.      I think he needs that to calm down.    

35 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

totally. he is already moving defenders with his eyes. He is "pro ready"

I think it will be a comfort thing with him. I felt like he was pressing at the beginning of the Bengals game. Playing ahead of rhythm (new to see in Chicago) and that as he settles in hes going to be even more dangerous.

Bagent doesnt have the arm strength, off platform ability, improvisational stuff, but he sure does play in rhythm. He looked so relaxed out there, like the game was slow for him.

If Caleb is here now, imagine when he has 5 games under his belt.

Also, he's going to have bad days. So Im looking forward to being here for Chapter 1 of the Caleb Williams saga, and watching him develop.

Gardner Minshew has turned that style into a decent career as a bridge QB/backup.  

3 hours ago, AZ54 said:

After listening to hiIs post-game press conference I'd say he agrees there is much to work on.   I've watched a couple film sessions on him (Chase Daniels, and part-way through JT's) and so far it feels more like Caleb was trying to force the ball to a few players.  Maybe he was guilty of trying to get everyone involved because there were just a few big throws the previous game?   He's got three weeks to settle in.   Hopefully the offensive starters get one series in the next preseason game.      I think he needs that to calm down.    

yeah i really think thats all it is - trying to do too much. He is a competitor, and that spirit is going to serve him well.

3 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Gardner Minshew has turned that style into a decent career as a bridge QB/backup.  

oh yes, Bagent is one of the best backups in the league already. He can actually win games.

4 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

oh yes, Bagent is one of the best backups in the league already. He can actually win games.

The Bears may end up flipping him in a few years like Matt Flynn to SEA. I hope they don't because he has already shown he can be a solid NFL QB. 

5 hours ago, adam said:

The Bears may end up flipping him in a few years like Matt Flynn to SEA. I hope they don't because he has already shown he can be a solid NFL QB. 

Ive been wondering if thats not why we are being so proactive about competition for QB3

50 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Ive been wondering if thats not why we are being so proactive about competition for QB3

I wasn’t terribly impressed by Bagent last year.  One good preseason game paired with one bad game hasn’t really changed my mind.  I think he's a viable QB2 in the league and that’s about it.  

45 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I wasn’t terribly impressed by Bagent last year.  One good preseason game paired with one bad game hasn’t really changed my mind.  I think he's a viable QB2 in the league and that’s about it.  

Hes not a top starter thats for sure. I think when we look at the bottom, say 6 starting QBs int he league, Bagent might be better. He doesnt have the flash, but he would probably win some games. In other words, I agree with you that hes a really good QB2, and not really a long term starter.

That said, in a league where teams are starving for QBs, maybe someone would trade for him? Some teams like the Giants, are just not that smart in their front offices.

Another thing to consider is the Bears and Bengals had joint practice.  So the Bengals D had live practice reps vs just film of the bills game on Caleb.  He definitely seems to be pressing it early.   Kudos to Flus for keeping him in there to allow him to work through it and settle in.  It turns out he ended on a high note which should help for the confidence factor and teaching him patience.  He'll find that balance, he's already showed a lot more "Pro Ready" attributes than we've seen from a Bears rookie QB.  We very well could finally have gotten the QB position right!   

Do we think he'll play at all this coming weekend?