Week 1 Official Game Thread - TEN @ CHI, 9/8, 12PM CDT, CHI -4.5 O/U 43.5, FOX

adam

I was curious what a film study of Levis was like so I found one.  It's preseason so who knows what to expect in the regular season but the screens shown here would appear to be a big part of what they want to do.  On his last throw in this video I'm not sure what he's looking at.  If he's willing to force a few throws like that against us I won't mind at all.  Levis has arm talent and he can run.  

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I was curious what a film study of Levis was like so I found one.  It's preseason so who knows what to expect in the regular season but the screens shown here would appear to be a big part of what they want to do.  On his last throw in this video I'm not sure what he's looking at.  If he's willing to force a few throws like that against us I won't mind at all.  Levis has arm talent and he can run.  

He was a rookie last year, but regardless, he was still one of the worst QBs in the NFL using any metric:

QBR 33.2 (2nd to last, 30th between Zach Wilson and Bryce Young)
EPA/DB -0.09
QBP% 44.5% (3rd to last, only Fields and Wilson were worse)
CPOE -3.2% (last in the NFL)

Levis had 2 good games, and 7 bad games. His 2 good games were against ATL and MIA. The Bears defense is infinitely better than those two units.

In the 2 good games, he had 5 TD, 1 INT, 3 sacks, and one fumble lost. In the 7 bad games, he had only 3 TDs, 3 INT, 25 sacks, and 3 fumbles lost

1 hour ago, adam said:

He was a rookie last year, but regardless, he was still one of the worst QBs in the NFL using any metric:

QBR 33.2 (2nd to last, 30th between Zach Wilson and Bryce Young)
EPA/DB -0.09
QBP% 44.5% (3rd to last, only Fields and Wilson were worse)
CPOE -3.2% (last in the NFL)

Levis had 2 good games, and 7 bad games. His 2 good games were against ATL and MIA. The Bears defense is infinitely better than those two units.

In the 2 good games, he had 5 TD, 1 INT, 3 sacks, and one fumble lost. In the 7 bad games, he had only 3 TDs, 3 INT, 25 sacks, and 3 fumbles lost

Well then it appears the coaches wanted to help him improve by focusing on screens in the preseason.  (Yes I'm being facetious.)

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

Well then it appears the coaches wanted to help him improve by focusing on screens in the preseason.  (Yes I'm being facetious.)

I am sure he has improved and he does have a better WR Corps and pass-catching RB (Pollard), but I don't know how far that takes him, especially considering he had 9 games last year in a different system. So this will be his first real game in the new system. 

For the preseason, he had 13 pass attempts. That feels like an incredibly small sample size to determine anything.

Tennessee lost Henry (1167 Rushing Yards, 12 TD, 214 Rec Yards) and gained Pollard (1005 Rushing Yards, 6 TD, 311 Rec Yards). So it looks like they lose a little in the ground game, but gain some in the passing game. 

The Bears lost Foreman (425 Rushing Yards, 4 TD, 77 Rec Yards), and gained Swift (1049 Rushing Yards, 5 TD, 214 Rec Yards, 1 TD). So they gained a lot in the both the ground and passing game by adding Swift.

One interesting comment from the Titans defensive coordinator is that they plan on press coverage against the Bears WRs. I really want to see that because I think our receivers against man coverage is an advantage in the Bears favor.

13 minutes ago, lemonej said:

One interesting comment from the Titans defensive coordinator is that they plan on press coverage against the Bears WRs. I really want to see that because I think our receivers against man coverage is an advantage in the Bears favor.

Odunze against CB3 is going to be fun to watch. 

Hard for me to see a scenario where Will Levis dominates against this Bears defense. My only real concern going into this game is on offense. If they can avoid the self-inflicted mistakes (Caleb turning it over/OL committing dumb penalties), they shouldn't have a problem beating this team at home. They have the better roster.

We have a top notch secondary and coverage linebackers, but it comes down to pressure from the D line. I hope we see some without having to blitz. If Dexter and Booker start to go off, we are on our way. If not, then Poles is right that this is stage two of a three stage rebuild.

I cant wait for Sunday.

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I think Poles is on schedule.

For the life of me, I couldn't figure out what he meant by stage two. Two of what? 2 of 3, 4, 5, or ???

Then it dawned on me.

Stage one: Tear it down. Start getting rid of the dead wood. (Basically, everyone, LOL).

Stage two: Build it back up. He's done a great job in his time with us. There are just a few positions to fine-tune.

STAGE THREE: Decide where to display the Super Bowl Trophy. :bears

5 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I think Poles is on schedule.

yes, or even ahead of the chains :)

I think we know we need a few more players in the trenches, and a season of growing for Caleb. All of those things will be accomplished by opening day next year, and i dont think we are scheduled to lose anyone important next year. So I figure we are truly super bowl contenders next year, and who can say what this year will be? Learning and growing for sure, but I wouldnt put a ceiling on this roster this year, but this is the year for growing pains and to come together.

44 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Exactly where is the lack of depth on our offense?   I really don’t understand  that statement.  

https://titanswire.usatoday.com/lists/titans-vs-bears-week-1-6-keys-to-victory-nfl/

You can tell whoever wrote this article, has no clue about what they are writing about, probably done with AI:

But Spears isn’t as well-known as a rookie; he’s harder to prepare for and defend against. The Titans should use that to their advantage on Sunday.

Spears is going into his 2nd year and is RB2. Why would that make him hard to prepare for lol? Then the same thing applies to Roschon. 

Stopping Pollard and Spears is going to be the key. Whether that is rushing or the screen game, the LBs are going to have to have a clean game. I am not worried about Ridley or Boyd with the Bears secondary.

we need pass pressure, and to read the screens well. If we do that, it's an easy win.

This team seems pretty good against the run.

I'm also worried about running on their DTs - it'll be a good test for our interior OL.

27 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

J Love got hurt, I hope he's back by the time they play the Bears. (no cheap victories please) Also J Fields is starting Sunday, finally gets a OC that can know how to use him.

As to Justin, whether they love him or hate him, all Bear fans should root for this guy. If he takes 51% of the snaps, we get a 4th round pick.

I watched the game live last night on Peacock. Love, the highest-paid player in the NFL 🤣 SUCKED. He looked like the bumbling QB from the start of last season, constantly trying to throw into double coverage. 17 for 34 (easy to figure out, 50% completion percentage) with 2 TDs and 1 INT (which could have easily been 3 or 4 if PHI's DB had hands). 

Now, this very rich quarterback may miss quite a bit of time. At first, the word was a high ankle sprain. But then it was mentioned that Love heard a "pop" in his knee and will have it examined when he returns from Brazil. GB might be screwed big-time.

3 minutes ago, Pixote said:

As to Justin, whether they love him or hate him, all Bear fans should root for this guy. If he takes 51% of the snaps, we get a 4th round pick.

I watched the game live last night on Peacock. Love, the highest-paid player in the NFL 🤣 SUCKED. He looked like the bumbling QB from the start of last season, constantly trying to throw into double coverage. 17 for 34 (easy to figure out, 50% completion percentage) with 2 TDs and 1 INT (which could have easily been 3 or 4 if PHI's DB had hands). 

Now, this very rich quarterback may miss quite a bit of time. At first, the word was a high ankle sprain. But then it was mentioned that Love heard a "pop" in his knee and will have it examined when he returns from Brazil. GB might be screwed big-time.

I think GB will be lucky since they report the acl is intact but need the mri to know the damage.  I would rather beat them full strength, but also would "love" to see them experience many years of football hell....like we have uggh 

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I think GB will be lucky since they report the acl is intact but need the mri to know the damage.  I would rather beat them full strength, but also would "love" to see them experience many years of football hell....like we have uggh 

I think the contract they gave to Love has set them up for that.  

3 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Now they are saying an MCL sprain but they didn't say the severity or timeline for recovery.