Preseason Standout Players

adam

Here are my stand out players who I think will slip into the bottom of the 53-man.

OFF -

TE - Tommy Sweeney 6-75, 1 TD - With Kmet, Everett, and Lewis not playing ST, I think they carry a 4th TE, and it would be Sweeney. He also has been a key contributor with several ST tackles.

WR - Dante Pettis 5-98, 2 TD - I think Pettis ends up as WR5/6 and is the lead PR. He looks healthy this year and reminds me of his time in SF where he looked like a solid WR2/3. Like Sweeney, Pettis has ST value. That might get him on the roster over Johnson and/or possibly Velus.

DEF -

Edge - Hardy 10 tackles, 3.5 sacks - This dude has really impressed. He is everywhere, making tackles, and leads the NFL in sacks. He should make the roster over Robinson. I believe Robinson is going to be the Hard Knocks player cut.

LB - Ogbongbemiga 17 tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT - He probably ends up as the last LB on the roster, and that would be fine by me. He reminds me of a poor man's Lance Briggs and he may even push Sanborn for some playing time. Another ST contributor.

Sweeney is the only one that might be a roster composition casualty, but I doubt he makes it to the PS if they don't put him on the 53-man.

Hardy has shown a good motor.  I think if it weren't for the Booker hype we'd hear more about Hardy. With that said - booker and Hardy's production has been against back-ups so I think we need to take it all in stride. I am a bit intrigued about the UDA Linebacker from UCLA. He has some real tools (sub 4.5 40 speed) and is making a shift from being an undersized linemen to LB. 

I am hoping he'll be able to stick on special teams and than continue to develop from there. 

I think when you have young or underdeveloped players, you need to see them flashing against the 2nd string as their first test. If they arent gobbling up their inferiors, then you know they arent ready. So on one hand, yes you cant draw a straight line from production against the 2s to assuming similar production against the 1s, but you can see dominance against the 2s as a sign they are ready to play against the big boys. Will they dominate similarly? Thats what we cant know until we see it.

At TE I like Bates more so than Sweeney.  Sweeney has more experience which has to help him.  Bates ran a 4.6 forty vs 4.8 for Sweeney and that shows on the field along with his 10’2” broad jump explosiveness.  The coaches see them everyday they will make the right choice.  Carlson is in the mix too but he just looks meh when he’s on the field.