Bears Undefeated in Preseason, only team that can hit 4-0, Preseason Champs!

adam

This is a glorious day to be a Bears fan. They defeated the SB champs handily, very close to an ass whooping, and they did it starting almost all players 3rd round or later while KC was running former 1st and 2nd rounders out there. 

The Bears end the preseason with a +68 points differential in 3.5 games. That is crazy. They scored 20+ pts and 3 TDs in every game. The defense has multiple TDs in less than 4 games.

This would not matter if the Bears had weak starters, but both units look like they are top 10-15. 

With all the positives, there are still some concerns. I don't think Pass Rush or O-Line are the top issues anymore. They need another rotational DT and they need to solve the kickoff coverage and punt returns. 

Either way, a great way to start this season. A lot of good vibes going into Week 1 at home against the Titans.

OL is still issue one.  Nate Davis is a liability and depth is not good behind him.  We must keep in mind that most teams do nothing exotic defensively in the pre-season.  However, we have.  It may be to build hype or may be the Hard Knocks effect.  Hopefully, Davis and our two key back ups are fully healthy and ready for game one.

8 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

The year the Lions went 4-0 in preseason then they went 0-17 in the regular season. Dont remember the yr. 

The Lions actually had their starters playing against 3rd and 4th stringers that year. 

Bears in the top 5 of the NFL in the Preseason:

NFL Highest Passing Grade:
1. Bagent 88.8
3. Rypien 86.9

NFL Rushing Yards:
1. Jones - 158 Yards

NFL Receiving Grades:
3. Bates - 85.8

NFL Pass Blocking Rate:
1. Murray - 90.4

NFL Sacks:
1. Hardy - 4
2T. Booker - 3

NFL Net Punting:
4. Taylor - 44.8

OL, DL, and punt returner remain the team's biggest weaknesses. Can't expect to be a playoff team if both sides of the line are bad. Will be interesting to see which players (if any) step up at those positions. My confidence meter is a little higher with the DL than OL right now. I think Booker is going to be a player. 

10 hours ago, adam said:

The Bears end the preseason with a +68 points differential in 3.5 games. That is crazy. They scored 20+ pts and 3 TDs in every game. The defense has multiple TDs in less than 4 games.

Saw a stat that said the Bears are the first team since 2013 SEA to post a point differential that high in the pre-season. SEA won the SB that year. I saw another stat from week 1 where the Bears posted their highest single game margin of victory since 2006, which is the year they went to the SB. I'm not saying, I'm just saying :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was going thru some stats and just came across the fact that the Bears were the highest-rated team in the preseason (per PFF) with an OVR grade of 89.5 (2nd highest preseason grade in PFF history). JAX was 2nd with 88.0 and DEN was the only other team over 80 with a 81.1

The Bears also had the #1 graded offense AND #1 graded defense. The defense was so good that they cleared the next best team (NYJ) by almost 5pts. 

I know it is only preseason, but I did find some correlation between Preseason PFF grades and regular-season success.

Last season, the top 5 graded defenses in the preseason were: GB, TB, DET, HOU, and IND/BUF tied for 5th. All teams had a winning record and only IND missed the playoffs. For overall grades, the top 5 teams were LVR, GB, TB, KC, and BUF. LVR was the worst at 8-9. GB and TB were the only teams to be in the top 5 overall, in offense and defense, and both teams made the playoffs. 

The Bears are the only team in the PFF era to lead the NFL overall, in offense and defense with all grades over 80.0. The only other team to lead the league across all categories were the 2022 Dolphins (9-8 and made the playoffs) but they had a defensive grade of 75.4 that year.

Circling back, the highest OVR PFF Grade for a preseason was the 2021 Patriots (89.7), so the Bears were 0.2 shy of that mark. The Patriots were 10-7 that season.

I know people take PFF with a grain of salt, but it does look like when you take in the macro view, there is some correlation there.

3 hours ago, adam said:

I was going thru some stats and just came across the fact that the Bears were the highest-rated team in the preseason (per PFF) with an OVR grade of 89.5 (2nd highest preseason grade in PFF history). JAX was 2nd with 88.0 and DEN was the only other team over 80 with a 81.1

The Bears also had the #1 graded offense AND #1 graded defense. The defense was so good that they cleared the next best team (NYJ) by almost 5pts. 

I know it is only preseason, but I did find some correlation between Preseason PFF grades and regular-season success.

Last season, the top 5 graded defenses in the preseason were: GB, TB, DET, HOU, and IND/BUF tied for 5th. All teams had a winning record and only IND missed the playoffs. For overall grades, the top 5 teams were LVR, GB, TB, KC, and BUF. LVR was the worst at 8-9. GB and TB were the only teams to be in the top 5 overall, in offense and defense, and both teams made the playoffs. 

The Bears are the only team in the PFF era to lead the NFL overall, in offense and defense with all grades over 80.0. The only other team to lead the league across all categories were the 2022 Dolphins (9-8 and made the playoffs) but they had a defensive grade of 75.4 that year.

Circling back, the highest OVR PFF Grade for a preseason was the 2021 Patriots (89.7), so the Bears were 0.2 shy of that mark. The Patriots were 10-7 that season.

I know people take PFF with a grain of salt, but it does look like when you take in the macro view, there is some correlation there.

I have more faith in PFF stats like these that start from hard numbers like points, yards, QB ratings etc. than I do when they grade performances themselves, like Offensive linemen etc.

And of course all stats are lies without context, but its a good sign to see the Bears stats trending upward and better than the alternative.

11 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I have more faith in PFF stats like these that start from hard numbers like points, yards, QB ratings etc. than I do when they grade performances themselves, like Offensive linemen etc.

And of course all stats are lies without context, but its a good sign to see the Bears stats trending upward and better than the alternative.

Yeah, it definitely needs to have context.

I was trying to find any real comps to the Bears after seeing the high grades and the only two teams even remotely close were the 2020 Pats (highest OVR PFF Grade) and 2022 Dolphins (led league for OVR, OFF, and DEF).

So if you compare NE's 2020 preseason to the Bears this year:

The Bears opponents' combined record from 2023 was 41-27 with the worst team being the 9-8 Bengals.

The Patriots opponents' combined record from 2020 was 17-30-1 with the best team being the 7-9 Division Winning Commanders.

So in reality, that was a solid Pats team punching down on weak teams (even if it is subs and bottom 53 dudes). So the Bears preseason looks even better.

Then when you compare to MIA in 2022, Miami went 2-1 in the preseason, not 4-0. 

So I think we just witnessed the most dominant preseason in NFL history and didn't even know it.

Another comparison, if you just use record and pts differential, here are the Bears comps over the last 15 years. Anything older doesn't seem like a valid comparison because how the game has changed.

2019 - Ravens 4-0 +66  > 14-2
2013 - Seahawks 4-0 +74  > 13-3* (won SB)
2012 - Seahawks 4-0 +78  > 11-5
2011 - Lions 4-0 +67  > 10-6

So the last 4 teams to go undefeated in the preseason with a +60 pts differential went a combined 48-16 (12-4 average record) in that upcoming season.

If you average the two sets of comparisons (PFF Grades + Record/Pt Diff), the Bears are projected to finish 11-6. 

Its nice to use stats for comparison reasons but you can see the diffence in how the team is run, roster upgrade,  and coach input.  Injuries is the only thing that regress this team. Poles targeted this year in his rebuild to win. His behavior proves that. Gave CW the job instantly even with the good play of Rypien and Bagent. Filled  our weaknesses with depth. OL added Pryor, Kiwan pick, Murray, Shelton, and Bates . DL has 6 DEs on the roster ( Sweat, Taylor, Hardy, Walker, Booker, Robinson), Jacob Martin on the early return pup list. He added Cris Williams to IDL. 

I get we still have to prove the roster with wins but that is happening this year. ( projected 12-5). 

The national press is starting to say good things. I have seen us ranked the 3rd best team in the NFC. A few picks to make the NFC title game. I get its optimism but its not just me prediciting good things to 2024.

2 hours ago, adam said:

Yeah, it definitely needs to have context.

I was trying to find any real comps to the Bears after seeing the high grades and the only two teams even remotely close were the 2020 Pats (highest OVR PFF Grade) and 2022 Dolphins (led league for OVR, OFF, and DEF).

So if you compare NE's 2020 preseason to the Bears this year:

The Bears opponents' combined record from 2023 was 41-27 with the worst team being the 9-8 Bengals.

The Patriots opponents' combined record from 2020 was 17-30-1 with the best team being the 7-9 Division Winning Commanders.

So in reality, that was a solid Pats team punching down on weak teams (even if it is subs and bottom 53 dudes). So the Bears preseason looks even better.

Then when you compare to MIA in 2022, Miami went 2-1 in the preseason, not 4-0. 

So I think we just witnessed the most dominant preseason in NFL history and didn't even know it.

I think what it says mostly is that the depth on our roster is legit.