Trade for DT

AZ54

For me it's all about Flus having 2 years experience with him.  Plus they have whatever he did in preseason on film to evaluate.  He knows the scheme right out of the gate so that is another plus, and likely knows it better than any of our offseason acquisitions.   Since Pickens is out we need help early in the season.  

7 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

For me it's all about Flus having 2 years experience with him.  Plus they have whatever he did in preseason on film to evaluate.  He knows the scheme right out of the gate so that is another plus, and likely knows it better than any of our offseason acquisitions.   Since Pickens is out we need help early in the season.  

2 years or 1 year? Flus last coached in IND in 2021, and Williams was there in 21 and 22, so I think it was only one year of overlap.

PFF had him grading out pretty solid in the preseason so far (FWIW). An overall grade of 80.1 and PRush of 81.6. To put that into perspective, he would be 7th on the Bears overall defensive score, just ahead of Booker, Sanborn, and Owens.  His PRush grade would be 2nd on the team. 

This one feels more like a "jump the waiver wire priority" kind of move compared to the Taylor trade. 

The last two trades are upgrades of our depth. Taylor is this yrs Ngakoue. He has some talent and is much cheaper. The last 3 yrs Taylor has 21.5 sacks, in comparision in the last 3 yrs Ngakoue had 23.5 and Sweat had 25.5. You never know when someone takes off or they already reached their peak. Sweat is a complete player as  the other options arent great at run defense. Overall we have more upside at DE with a couple young players still have time to grow. (Booker-Hardy). 

Cris Williams is only here because of an injury to Pickens, Poles is at the point in roster development to have options as he deals with injuries. There is a chance these two pop like the Billings signing did last yr but if they dont, they are cheap acquitions. It appears these two players have high motors where when he signed Ngakoue, he wasnt noted for that.  He keeps adding to the culture as well as just adding depth. 

I just watched the press conference with both the new guys.  I like them.  They feel less like stop gaps and more like legit contributors.   We’ll see where both end up in the rotation  but each will bring something different we didn’t have on the front.   Williams is only 285 but just looking at him he is all lean muscle and quick.   

6 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I just watched the press conference with both the new guys.  I like them.  They feel less like stop gaps and more like legit contributors.   We’ll see where both end up in the rotation  but each will bring something different we didn’t have on the front.   Williams is only 285 but just looking at him he is all lean muscle and quick.

I must ask just one question. Is Taylor excited to be here? 🤣

9 hours ago, AZ54 said:

We’ll see where both end up in the rotation  but each will bring something different we didn’t have on the front.   

Just having them in the rotation will not only add something different but it keeps everybody much fresher.  And the energy level on the team points to everyone believing that this year will be something special.  

It looks like the defensive momentum from the second half of last season, has continued so far. They have looked like they are emphasizing ball hawking. My only concern is that on some of those DB blitzes, they should go for a strip of the ball.