Final cuts

CrackerDog

Full list per Yahoo

interesting, if Curhan is cut, Borom is IR, Kiran is brand new coming off an injury with no work, and Collins gone, who is our swing tackle?

I know Pryor can play all over the line, but with Curhan gone I gotta figure were going to add at least one OT in the next couple of days?

17 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Brendan Bates is gone.  I hope he makes it to the practice squad.  Reports out there saying blasingame  will be cut but added back.   Scales makes the 53 then goes on IR.   

yup thts what im hearing too.

Also, the Bears site has the current 53 here

https://www.chicagobears.com/photos/2024-chicago-bears-53-man-roster

And here with a few still remaining that shouldnt be like Wheeler.

https://www.chicagobears.com/team/depth-chart

It feels like we are gearing up for an OT trade.

Maybe Trent Williams from the 49ers?

We trade them Braxton Jones, Greg Stroman and/or Dom Robinson.

I also heard some speculation about a 3 way trade where we get Williams, involving the 49ers and Ravens. Unsubstantiated of course, not even a rumor, more like speculation.

On the other hand, Williams IS a great player, but he's looking to be paid big, and if he was 3 years younger id be all over it. But you dont want to pay a 4 year deal to a guy who only has 2 years to give you just based on current performance.

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

Brendan Bates is gone.  I hope he makes it to the practice squad.  Reports out there saying blasingame  will be cut but added back.   Scales makes the 53 then goes on IR.   

I am surprised at this one.  I thought Bates would make it because of his upside and Waldren preferring TEs.  

Some surprising moves and I hope Poles/Flus got it right.  I bolded the players I thought had a strong chance. 

Placed OL Larry Borom and DL Jacob Martin on Reserve/Injured; Designated for Return.

Placed WR Dante Pettis on Reserve/Injured.

Released FB Khari Blasingame, DB Tarvarius Moore, DB Greg Stroman Jr, TE Stephen Carlson, DB Adrian Colbert, OL Aviante Collins, DL Byron Cowart, WR Collin Johnson and QB Brett Rypien.

Waived: LB Micah Baskerville, TE Brenden Bates, DB Reddy Steward,DB Tarvarius Moore, DB Greg Stroman Jr OL Theo Benedet, OL Jake Curhan, DL Carl Jones Jr., DB Leon Jones, DL Jamree Kromah, LS Cameron Lyons, DL Dashaun Mallory, QB Austin Reed, DB Ro Torrence and P Corliss Waitman.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

It feels like we are gearing up for an OT trade.

Maybe Trent Williams from the 49ers?

We trade them Braxton Jones, Greg Stroman and/or Dom Robinson.

I also heard some speculation about a 3 way trade where we get Williams, involving the 49ers and Ravens. Unsubstantiated of course, not even a rumor, more like speculation.

On the other hand, Williams IS a great player, but he's looking to be paid big, and if he was 3 years younger id be all over it. But you dont want to pay a 4 year deal to a guy who only has 2 years to give you just based on current performance.

I hope not.   We just drafted the best pocket presence QB he should be fine.  Jones isn’t perfect but he’s not a turnstile either.  If we’re using cap space on someone go get Jonathan Allen.  

14 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Some surprising moves and I hope Poles/Flus got it right.  I bolded the players I thought had a strong chance. 

Placed OL Larry Borom and DL Jacob Martin on Reserve/Injured; Designated for Return.

Placed WR Dante Pettis on Reserve/Injured.

Released FB Khari Blasingame, DB Tarvarius Moore, DB Greg Stroman Jr, TE Stephen Carlson, DB Adrian Colbert, OL Aviante Collins, DL Byron Cowart, WR Collin Johnson and QB Brett Rypien.

Waived: LB Micah Baskerville, TE Brenden Bates, DB Reddy Steward,DB Tarvarius Moore, DB Greg Stroman Jr OL Theo Benedet, OL Jake Curhan, DL Carl Jones Jr., DB Leon Jones, DL Jamree Kromah, LS Cameron Lyons, DL Dashaun Mallory, QB Austin Reed, DB Ro Torrence and P Corliss Waitman.

I’d be happy if all the names in bold are on our practice squad.  Add Austin Reed.  Theo Benedet.  

42 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I hope not.   We just drafted the best pocket presence QB he should be fine.  Jones isn’t perfect but he’s not a turnstile either.  If we’re using cap space on someone go get Jonathan Allen.  

No way Poles adds a 25mil salary to this team. He has a good mix of cheap-big  contracts and will save money to pay his core players as he goes forward. The Judon add was going to be 14 mil and I doubt he resigned him next year. 

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

I hear ya, but cutting Curhan has left us really thin at OT, and we kept more on the DL than I expect we need. We played the short term IR game with Blasingame in order to keep an extra DL for a short period of time. To me, that feels like an OT trade. Or better said, thats the pattern I was noticing, but of course i dont know what it means.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

I hear ya, but cutting Curhan has left us really thin at OT, and we kept more on the DL than I expect we need. We played the short term IR game with Blasingame in order to keep an extra DL for a short period of time. To me, that feels like an OT trade. Or better said, thats the pattern I was noticing, but of course i dont know what it means.

...and yet we kept Kramer.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

...and yet we kept Kramer.  

that feels to me (and Im just guessing) like they aren't sure when Bates will be back, and they need a backup at center. They may also consider Bates to be the superior backup guard over Murray, in which case, they still need Kramer to backup at center.

I feel like this is all going to come into focus in the next few days.

53 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

that feels to me (and Im just guessing) like they aren't sure when Bates will be back, and they need a backup at center. They may also consider Bates to be the superior backup guard over Murray, in which case, they still need Kramer to backup at center.

I feel like this is all going to come into focus in the next few days.

My thoughts as well.  At least it does speak to the improvement Kramer has made over the last two seasons.  

Little nuggets, waiver claims start tomorrow at noon.  The waiver priority remains the same as the draft order, which the Bears are 9th. 

So with the Bears being 9th and OT depth likely the need, is there any released players worthy?  I think they are happy with Pryor and think Kiran can be capable in a few weeks.  I see little movement unless they shop Herbert or a young DE. 

I still cannot believe they kept RB Homer and WR Carter.  Velus Jones is listed at WR again too.  Poles and Flus were loyal with keeping these bubble players...add E Hicks and Dom Robinson who may have been out performed in preseason to the list.

Next year will be tougher yet. Figure todays group minus the 2025 draft 1st rd, two 2nd rds, a 3rd, 5th, a conditional 6th that can become a 4th (JF) and a 7th.  Not all will make this team or Poles will trade up or out (future picks) with little roster room.

Jenkins and Allen are the notable fa losses, and the Bears will have cap to resign one for sure and with magic both.

I cannot remember a Bears team that has looked this bright with the window to last and add talent since maybe 85. 

Will be curious to see who they pick up tomorrow. Clear there will be a bit more churn still. Not overly surprised though with any of the moves - other than say Stroman and Carter. 

For those wondering - Hosmer sticks around not because he is a good running back but because he’s a really good special teams player. 

Carl Jones is a guy I liked at Lb so hope to see him make practice squad. 

Looks like they didn't pickup anyone outside of adding a LS to replace Scales until he is back after surgery.

Bates did get picked up by the Jets. Interesting choice for Poles to keep a 40yr old TE over Bates. I know it's probably only 10 to 15 snaps but Bates also played ST, as far as I am tracking, Lewis does not.

1 hour ago, adam said:

Looks like they didn't pickup anyone outside of adding a LS to replace Scales until he is back after surgery.

Bates did get picked up by the Jets. Interesting choice for Poles to keep a 40yr old TE over Bates. I know it's probably only 10 to 15 snaps but Bates also played ST, as far as I am tracking, Lewis does not.

I think we’ll see Bates around the league for several years.  Oddly we kept 6 DEs and I assume the depth players there were better tacklers on special teams.  That makes sense since they are used to taking on blocks and shedding them to make a tackle.