Week 2 Official Game Thread - CHI @ HOU, 9/15, SNF, CHI +6.5 O/U 46, NBC

adam

Prime Time Game, on the road. Hard to see anyway the Bears win this but Indy did give HOU fits all game and kept it close.

I hope the defense can continue it's solid play but if they allowed 17 to TEN then that is probably high 20s to HOU.

The offense has to play better all around. Stick to the run game, get Kmet involved, and more presnap motion.

This was always a loss for me, so I will say HOU 27-20.

• adam featured and pinned this topic
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, adam said:

Prime Time Game, on the road. Hard to see anyway the Bears win this but Indy did give HOU fits all game and kept it close.

I hope the defense can continue it's solid play but if they allowed 17 to TEN then that is probably high 20s to HOU.

The offense has to play better all around. Stick to the run game, get Kmet involved, and more presnap motion.

This was always a loss for me, so I will say HOU 27-20.

I think they adjust to the mistakes they made.If they can keep Houston in check in the running game, they will keep the score close. The defense is real and will have a positie affect on the game. If they pressure CJS in the game we should get a few TOs and you never know how that effects the game. I think Caleb will look entirely different in this game. Waldron will scheme some rollouts into the game plan, so they cant tee off on Caleb. 

I was looking over the Texans depth chart.  I don’t know much at all there aren’t a lot of big names.   Our Oline will go from trying to block TVondre Sweat and Simmons to Mario Edward’s and Foley Fatukasi.  Their DEs are good with Hunter and Will Anderson.   They seem to have a good DB group.  

On offense they have a good group of small quick WRs.  Good Oline, RB Mixon, QB.   More than the defense being challenged this will force our offense to score points if we want to win this game.   Which leads to my next point…how will Caleb respond.  

After watching Chase Daniel’s film review I’m now very optimistic about Williams future.   While he had his share of mistakes he was clearly reading the field well for most of the game.  With just a couple tweaks he easily had two TD throws both being in the red zone where rookies notoriously struggle reading a compressed D.   Shelton getting pancaked by a LB led to one tipped pass that prevented a TD.  Coaches were right to keep him in the pocket and trust him to read the coverage.  

The Oline had issues but if we only fixed the huge mistakes by Shelton on a few plays that game looks much better for Williams.  Our IOL weakness matches up better against the Texans  DT lack of depth.  We might see a calmer Williams in the pocket this week.  

18 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I was looking over the Texans depth chart.  I don’t know much at all there aren’t a lot of big names.   Our Oline will go from trying to block TVondre Sweat and Simmons to Mario Edward’s and Foley Fatukasi.  Their DEs are good with Hunter and Will Anderson.   They seem to have a good DB group.  

On offense they have a good group of small quick WRs.  Good Oline, RB Mixon, QB.   More than the defense being challenged this will force our offense to score points if we want to win this game.   Which leads to my next point…how will Caleb respond.  

After watching Chase Daniel’s film review I’m now very optimistic about Williams future.   While he had his share of mistakes he was clearly reading the field well for most of the game.  With just a couple tweaks he easily had two TD throws both being in the red zone where rookies notoriously struggle reading a compressed D.   Shelton getting pancaked by a LB led to one tipped pass that prevented a TD.  Coaches were right to keep him in the pocket and trust him to read the coverage.  

The Oline had issues but if we only fixed the huge mistakes by Shelton on a few plays that game looks much better for Williams.  Our IOL weakness matches up better against the Texans  DT lack of depth.  We might see a calmer Williams in the pocket this week.  

I agree with all of this. The Chase Daniels breakdown shows where the errors were - it wasn't that everything was on fire, but in each play a different specific thing went wrong, even as everything else was working. Caleb is definitely playing NFL QB.

I am a bit concerned about the batted balls - Caleb needs to find throwing lanes. But i am confident that the coaching staff is seeing everything on the film and will work on making it better. the only thing that's harder to "see" on the film is that we got away from running with Swift. We need to feed him more, and I didnt like seeing Everett out there so much while Kmet was on the bench. Anyone know why that happened?

A few times i saw evidence that Waldron is thinking Xs and Os but forgetting how his personel grouping interact with that. So hed put Allen on a speed clearout route for example. Allen did have a pretty good game though. He was open a lot, but he did drop that TD.

I also agree that the middle of the Titan DL is special, but that linebacker canning Shelton was just ridiculous. I think we need to look at Ryan Bates in there. Pryor also disappointed me a few times. It's hard to get a great OL, but they need to be better too.

But yeah, from the film, Caleb is getting it.

19 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I also agree that the middle of the Titan DL is special, but that linebacker canning Shelton was just ridiculous. I think we need to look at Ryan Bates in there. Pryor also disappointed me a few times. It's hard to get a great OL, but they need to be better too.

But yeah, from the film, Caleb is getting it.

look at the video about the O line in the cause for concern post by stinger. the shelton pancake was misleading. he was backing up and tripped over jenkins outstretched leg. i am not willing to change this position yet. let's wait until after another game or two.

4 minutes ago, Lucky Luciano said:

look at the video about the O line in the cause for concern post by stinger. the shelton pancake was misleading. he was backing up and tripped over jenkins outstretched leg. i am not willing to change this position yet. let's wait until after another game or two.

youre right about him tripping, in my mind I had that rep happening with one of the DTs, but I was confused. So there is a different rep where the DT blew him up and he didnt trip. And, there were several other awful plays by Shelton too. I feel like if we have Ryan Bates for a reason, and he was the expected starter, we ought to put him in there.

Of course the coaches will know better than I do, so I should say "I wont be surprised if there are one or two new starters on the OL this week." looking at you Davis.

I think we need more film than one game for juding the oline. Shelton had 3 terrible plays but was okay for the rest of the game. Every center will have problems with a 361 lb Sweat. Top 3 DTs in the league may be a bad comparision point. Now Davis clearly doesnt have his heart in the game. He has had plenty of time to get it together. When Bates is ready Davis will sit. Also Bill Murray will be rostered the rest of the way oput as I see Davis being sat after Bates get back. This week will be a good read on the OTs that had a good day Sunday. Hunter nad Anderson are studs. I see a lot of 2 TE sets to help with the blocking and keep Kmet on the field most of the game. Everett had  more snaps last week. Houston is vunerable to deep passes. They gave up 4 deep passes over 34 yards last week. Scott should have a heyday if he holds onto the ball.

Darnell Wright played well last week.  I know Hunter had a bunch of sacks against us last year but that was also when Fields, Bagent, and Getty had no answer for their heavy blitz scheme. I look forward to seeing how Wright does in this game because he’s already seen Hunter and knows what to expect.  After this game we’ll have a good idea how good our RT can be.  

Braxton might be more of a question mark but he also held his own last week in pass pro.  

I keep getting the thought we are going to win this game and its not my usual positivity insanity. And 27-13 keeps poping in my head. I use to be a soothsayer but then stress entered my life and I lost it. Did it come back to me? 

Miami had Hill, Waddle, Achane and Tua and lost by 21 points at home. They have a former coach of the year and still they lost. 

13 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I keep getting the thought we are going to win this game and its not my usual positivity insanity. And 27-13 keeps poping in my head. I use to be a soothsayer but then stress entered my life and I lost it. Did it come back to me? 

Miami had Hill, Waddle, Achane and Tua and lost by 21 points at home. They have a former coach of the year and still they lost. 

I've been feeling the same.  We match well with them.  Caleb has game speed in his brain now and the OL should have that "backs against the wall" feeling.  Their collective fight should be better.  I didn't bet us to win, but took the points.

1 minute ago, AZ54 said:

I'm so old I remember when fans were wanting us to draft Skoronski.  He got owned by multiple Dlineman worse than Shelton Coleman did.  

my brother and i still have a bet as to who will be All Pro first; Wright or Skoronski.

These early games have been crazy.

• TB beats DET in DET (DET did not look good at all, bad Goff is back)
  • MIN beats SF (MIN now 2-0)
  • GB beats IND with Willis at QB, ugh.
  • WAS kicks 7 FGs to win by 3. 
  • NO crushes DAL by 25.
  • LVR beats BAL (BAL now 0-2).
  • LAC beats CAR 26-3, Pick #33 locked in (CAR has already been outscored by 60 pts in 2 weeks)