Coach Morgan needs to go

adam

I have no idea why he was kept on the staff, but when every Offensive Lineman that leaves improves, there is only one common denominator.

I wish this was satire, but somehow guys like Lucas Patrick (who was the worst OL player in the NFL last year magically becomes the best OG in the NFL in one offseason?). Cody Whitehair, who was relegated to the bench in Chicago, is a starting caliber player in LVR. James Daniels was expendable in Chicago and has been one of the cornerstone players on the Pittsburgh O-Line since he left. Cornelius Lucas who was a castoff on the Bears roster has been starting for several years in Washington and is a top 15 OT right now.

Look at the current line. Teven Jenkins has regressed. Darnell Wright is not improving. Shelton, who was a serviceable starting Center can't block a 3rd Grader, Nate Davis can't block a stationary tackling dummy, and Braxton Jones is now playing to his draft status.

I think what Morgan, Waldren and Flus are doing is asking the OL to be too precise.  There was play when Davis pulled and didn't hit the guy coming through and because it wasn't his guy.  Natural football days hit the guy, because he's going to be a problem.  Then, he goes to the second level and doesn't hit a guy, because his guy wasn't there.  There was also a play where the center was helping Davis, but helped too much and a guy slid through.  It's time for them to stay in their area of operation and hit whatever comes in it and no more.  Trust in the guy next to them is key. Little shoves are sometimes all that is needed instead of moving too far.  The old rule of working inside out should cure a lot.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

I think what Morgan, Waldren and Flus are doing is asking the OL to be too precise.  There was play when Davis pulled and didn't hit the guy coming through and because it wasn't his guy.  Natural football days hit the guy, because he's going to be a problem.  Then, he goes to the second level and doesn't hit a guy, because his guy wasn't there.  There was also a play where the center was helping Davis, but helped too much and a guy slid through.  It's time for them to stay in their area of operation and hit whatever comes in it and no more.  Trust in the guy next to them is key. Little shoves are sometimes all that is needed instead of moving too far.  The old rule of working inside out should cure a lot.

totally agree. the scheme is too ambitious, and they arent trained to do what youre talking about. Plus we are supposed to be running a zone scheme, so hitting the open man is the right thing to do. I feel like they are doing the matchups outside-in, which is wrong.

100% Fire the OL Coach. Immediately.

His replacement should be a guy with a thick neck, cauliflower ears, anger management issues, and fierce loyalty. Someone who headbutts linemen after pancake blocks, then coaches a series before getting stitched up. And behind closed doors? He not only pays for fines, but pays bonuses to his crew for nastiness.

3 hours ago, jason said:

100% Fire the OL Coach. Immediately.

His replacement should be a guy with a thick neck, cauliflower ears, anger management issues, and fierce loyalty. Someone who headbutts linemen after pancake blocks, then coaches a series before getting stitched up. And behind closed doors? He not only pays for fines, but pays bonuses to his crew for nastiness.

100%.

I wish we had Harbaugh. I hope we get someone to bring more accountability to the running game, and pass protection, whether from the outside or from within. Dont even have to fire anyone as long as that job gets done. Maybe take either OL coach or running game coordinator away from Morgan so he has a helper on his level.

10 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

100%.

I wish we had Harbaugh. I hope we get someone to bring more accountability to the running game, and pass protection, whether from the outside or from within. Dont even have to fire anyone as long as that job gets done. Maybe take either OL coach or running game coordinator away from Morgan so he has a helper on his level.

This is the one do-over I would have.  I go back to - ownership is willing to invest huge money in a new stadium.  I'm indifferent on Eberflus...good guy, quality coach, I don't think he is a difference maker as a head coach though (I hope I'm wrong).  He is steady though and I do think there is some value in that sort of head coach.  

But Harbaugh was out there for the taking - you had the #1 overall pick - if there was ever a time to go get a total gamechanging head coach like Harbaugh this was the time.  Only other time I felt this convicted is when Andy Reid was a free agent coach.  

45 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

This is the one do-over I would have.  I go back to - ownership is willing to invest huge money in a new stadium.  I'm indifferent on Eberflus...good guy, quality coach, I don't think he is a difference maker as a head coach though (I hope I'm wrong).  He is steady though and I do think there is some value in that sort of head coach.  

But Harbaugh was out there for the taking - you had the #1 overall pick - if there was ever a time to go get a total gamechanging head coach like Harbaugh this was the time.  Only other time I felt this convicted is when Andy Reid was a free agent coach.  

I agree. But I know Harbaugh is polarizing, so i can understand the decision not to go that way, but i dont think they should have kept Eberflus.

And I agree with your analysis entirely. Hes not a terrible coach, but he does make stupid mistakes, and more to the point, he isnt a difference maker, so at best he is a lost opportunity.

A nuclear option if the Bears underperform this year would be to make a coaching change and bring in someone like Slowik, Kubiak, or Johnson to be HC/OC. Don't even wait for Waldron to "figure it out" and there is enough bad against Flus to let him go today and no one would question it.

34 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

We need a coach like Houstons coach that know what he's doing. Oh wait a minute, he's a defensive coach. He needs to be fired. 

No one is saying fire Eberflus for being a defensive coach. Belichick was a defensive coach. he was just a lot better than Eberflus is.

And adam just called it a "nuclear option" meaning extreme. i dont think anyone is seriously suggesting firing Eberflus right now today. We might be saying we should have fired him after last year, or that we should fire him after the season, or near the end of the season etc.

Waldron or especially Morgan might be on a hotter seat. But personally, I think having Morgan be OL coach and Run Game Coordinator is a mistake. He obviously needs a second voice to balance some of his choices. Id promote someone else to running game co-coordinator just for some balance in the blocking schemes. Another voice.

But I definitely wanted Eberflus fired during the offseason. And i said it wasnt because he was terrible, but because he was mediocre, easily replaced, and doesnt give you an active edge in winning. Plus he makes dumb mistakes, and still went for it this week on 4th and 1 down 6 halfway through the 2nd qtr in his own territory - that was a foolish gamble, and is aligned with similar mistakes hes made before.

And also sarcasm doesnt always lead to the best outcomes here?

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

No one is saying fire Eberflus for being a defensive coach. Belichick was a defensive coach. he was just a lot better than Eberflus is.

And adam just called it a "nuclear option" meaning extreme. i dont think anyone is seriously suggesting firing Eberflus right now today. We might be saying we should have fired him after last year, or that we should fire him after the season, or near the end of the season etc.

Waldron or especially Morgan might be on a hotter seat. But personally, I think having Morgan be OL coach and Run Game Coordinator is a mistake. He obviously needs a second voice to balance some of his choices. Id promote someone else to running game co-coordinator just for some balance in the blocking schemes. Another voice.

But I definitely wanted Eberflus fired during the offseason. And i said it wasnt because he was terrible, but because he was mediocre, easily replaced, and doesnt give you an active edge in winning. Plus he makes dumb mistakes, and still went for it this week on 4th and 1 down 6 halfway through the 2nd qtr in his own territory - that was a foolish gamble, and is aligned with similar mistakes hes made before.

And also sarcasm doesnt always lead to the best outcomes here?

Hell, I would rather have Chad Morton as the Run Game Coordinator. 

2 hours ago, adam said:

Hell, I would rather have Chad Morton as the Run Game Coordinator. 

I think those kind of incremental moves are more likely in the coming weeks than wholesale change.

I would not be surprised if we saw some new faces on the OL though - or even letting second string guys like Kramer and Murray get a drive or two of live action to prove themselves.

None of it is good or ideal, but at some point you gotta do something. I assume this week is the "hey, youd better start getting this right or we are going to have to do something..." stage. The fact that Bates is still 2 weeks away probably makes that even more likely?

I was being sarcastic but it was  directed at everyone thinking everyone should be fired. Last year Houston lost their first 2 games, totaled 130 yds rushing and Im sure their base was complaining too. We are 1-1 with an outstanding defense and people want Waldron and Mogan fired. I just think people are over reacting. Now if in doesnt look better in the next two games, I'll be there with you guys but we could be 4-1 and still not having a good looking offense, but I expect them to play better. 

18 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I think those kind of incremental moves are more likely in the coming weeks than wholesale change.

I would not be surprised if we saw some new faces on the OL though - or even letting second string guys like Kramer and Murray get a drive or two of live action to prove themselves.

None of it is good or ideal, but at some point you gotta do something. I assume this week is the "hey, youd better start getting this right or we are going to have to do something..." stage. The fact that Bates is still 2 weeks away probably makes that even more likely?

I think he goes one more week with this group and if it isnt better , I suspect we see Kramer at center and Pryor at RG until Bates gets back. Dont forget Booker will also be coming back which may be better than what we have seen so far. 

I read a lot and one of the biggest problems was comunications breakdowns. CW calls out the line call and Shelton lets everyone know, it was braking down all the time. CW, Waldron and Flus stated that.  Mental mistakes look just as bad as phyically getting pushed around. Everything broke down against a very good defense. We see what changes and if it works. With all that said , late in the game we still had a chance to win. Every week will be like that until the offense jells. 

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

I was being sarcastic but it was  directed at everyone thinking everyone should be fired. Last year Houston lost their first 2 games, totaled 130 yds rushing and Im sure their base was complaining too. We are 1-1 with an outstanding defense and people want Waldron and Mogan fired. I just think people are over reacting. Now if in doesnt look better in the next two games, I'll be there with you guys but we could be 4-1 and still not having a good looking offense, but I expect them to play better. 

Inside the building they got to use this as a test, but use it internally to get better. Don’t let the 2 games define you and start finger pointing - let it galvanize you as the collective team continues to grind and fix the communication breakdowns, continue to learn and deepens knowledge of new system, coaches continue to dial in the system for what works for the personnel, etc, for Caleb to continue to learn and adjust and to continue to build his rapport with his wide outs and tight ends….for the defense to keep getting sharper. 

Got to keep the head down and grind…look at KC last year…they struggled but they kept working and working and were a different team by the end of the year. As you said - Houston did the same.