Swift is the problem

adam

I know the O-Line has issues and Caleb is a rookie QB, but Swift has been the least effective RB in the first 3 games of a season since 2009. The Bears are lucky to be 1-2 with his ineptitude. It is historically bad. 

The Bears needs to stick with Roschon and Herbert as the primary backs, then sprinkle in Swift on 3rd and longs. He is literally a drive killer. 

If you watch the drives that died, most of the time it was a terrible run by Swift that leaves the Bears in a bad down and distance, a dropped pass, etc. He has singlehandedly killed the Bears offensive rhythm. It is astounding really. If you look back at the previous games, it is the same thing. They would be 3-0 if Roschon had all of Swift's touches. 

Swift is simply not a runner.  He may be faster, but he has no power and vision.  Most of all, he doesn't run through contact.  Roschon was popping people and Herbert uses angles to lean on tacklers for extra yards.  I like Swift on certain packages, but there's a reason he's not in Detroit or Philly in such a short time.  Like I said in the other thread, he runs like a bitch.

Small sample size, but this is pretty wild. Here are the drive outcomes in a drive when an RB got a touch in that drive:

Swift  - 25 drives
TD x2 (8%)
FG x6 (24%)
Missed FG x1
Punt x12 (48%)
INT x3
TOD x1

Roschon - 6 drives
TD x2 (33%)
Missed FG x1
Punt x1
TOD x1
EOH x1

Swift literally causes bad drives. 

27 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I wish it was all that simple

It is a pretty big component though. Swift is 2-3x less effective than Roschon or Herbert on every touch. Swift's negative rushes are putting the Bears in terrible down and distance situations. That leads to punts and turnovers. Go figure.

Swift is literally the worst RB in the NFL right now. He has a -2.4 RYOE per carry. So he is producing 2.4 fewer yards than expected PER CARRY. That is 89 lost yards on the ground in 3 games.  The worst player since 2018 was Freeman in 2019 with a -1.2 for the season. Swift is currently twice as bad as the least effective RB in the NFL over the past 6+ seasons.

If you replaced Swift with a mix of Roschon and Herbert, the Bears are probably 3-0, and that is not even a stretch of the imagination. 

swift.png

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

He's not a power runner, he is the type back Poles envisions to go with the modern passing offense. There is to many OL break downs and play calling mistakes for him to be used properly. Johnson is a better fit right now on a stuggling OL.

I have never seen him break a tackle and he runs into the back of his OL all the time and just falls down. Roschon and Herbert to an extent run much more violent and Roschon hits the defenders vs them hitting him. Swift is a 3rd Down back who had massive holes to run thru in Philly. There was a reason why he was available and now on his 3rd team. 

48 minutes ago, adam said:

I have never seen him break a tackle and he runs into the back of his OL all the time and just falls down. Roschon and Herbert to an extent run much more violent and Roschon hits the defenders vs them hitting him. Swift is a 3rd Down back who had massive holes to run thru in Philly. There was a reason why he was available and now on his 3rd team. 

Watch his tape from last yr when he had a good OL.

Swift's running style is based on speed. He needs holes to get through, but he has quick change of direction.

So here's a hot take: Velus Jones Jr gives you (only) that at RB too. They are both possible home run hitters, and neither is a grinder or a guy to in tough yards up the middle.

Does anyone want to trade a Center for Swift?

33 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Swift's running style is based on speed. He needs holes to get through, but he has quick change of direction.

So here's a hot take: Velus Jones Jr gives you (only) that at RB too. They are both possible home run hitters, and neither is a grinder or a guy to in tough yards up the middle.

Does anyone want to trade a Center for Swift?

Lets see how he does after the offense gets rolling, everything is out of sync  now. I guess Bates coming back might be the answer at OC, it cant be worse.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Lets see how he does after the offense gets rolling, everything is out of sync  now. I guess Bates coming back might be the answer at OC, it cant be worse.

Yeah, Im overreacting, thats why I called it a hot take. It seemed funny to me. But if we could trade Swift for a good OL Id do it in a heartbeat.

Call me a Roschon Johnson fan. Ive liked him since training camp last year. I thought he'd be the starter for sure.

But yes, if our OL opened holes for Swift, Im sure id like him better. Once he gets to the second level Swift is pretty dangerous, but until we open holes, Johnson is the better pounder at the first level, and if you can bull/fall forward for 4 yards a carry, thats all we really need.

riddle me this....

1st and goal at the five or less, why are we NOT seeing our FB lead blocking for our best short yardage back? straight ahead hit the line and push forward. why in the H E double hockey sticks are we moving lateral runs in a condensed field? a few power runs and it opens up play action at the goal line.

this is what fullbacks do and blasingame is a pretty good FB yet we never see him. that is BAD coaching and play calling.

2 hours ago, Lucky Luciano said:

riddle me this....

1st and goal at the five or less, why are we NOT seeing our FB lead blocking for our best short yardage back? straight ahead hit the line and push forward. why in the H E double hockey sticks are we moving lateral runs in a condensed field? a few power runs and it opens up play action at the goal line.

this is what fullbacks do and blasingame is a pretty good FB yet we never see him. that is BAD coaching and play calling.

So on at least two of the runs, a good play fake and boot and half the end zone was wide open for any WR to just run to open space. There was zero threat to pass so the defense has the advantage, especially if you run laterally without any crack back blocks. Also, having Carter block anyone on a run play should be a fireable offense.

All this talk about firing Poles... Firing Flus... Get a new OC..., etc...

We came into this season with a new OC, a new system, and a rookie QB.

We all knew it would take time to gel.

Do we want to learn from our past mistakes? A rookie QB forced to learn a new scheme in year 2?

All of a sudden, we think Poles sucks? We sure felt differently before the season started.

The only thing he has failed to do is solidify the OL, and we are 'possibly' in need of an edge rusher.

Then again, how many holes can you fill in two years when you are given the garbage he was given to start with?

He knows there is an issue. I have no doubt it will now be a top priority in his rebuild.

Yes, many of us wanted it sooner. He did try to make moves in FA to patch things up. Unfortunately, it didn't work out.

And as far as our OC, he is limited by our OL.

As far as our OL coach, give him some quality players to work with.

As far as Flus, our D is kick ass. Our locker room is tight. The players are 'all-in."

And on a final note, Daniels sure looked good last night. New Rookie QB record, 21 for 23. No turnovers. Solid.

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I think he was inactive for the game.

didn't know that. in that case bring in a wide body lineman either side of the ball (like fridge) to smash into the line at the point of attack and get the push. that is just plain simple. if your OL with another lineman can't move the defense back one freaking yard we are pathetic.

3 hours ago, Lucky Luciano said:

didn't know that. in that case bring in a wide body lineman either side of the ball (like fridge) to smash into the line at the point of attack and get the push. that is just plain simple. if your OL with another lineman can't move the defense back one freaking yard we are pathetic.

I remember we tried the tush push with Darnell Mooney last year.  I guess they haven't learned...