Herbert has to be trade bait right?

adam

8 carries and 2 receptions thru 4 weeks.

In his last 2 seasons, he was averaging over 50 yards per game, that's down to 4. He clearly has been relegated to RB3/4, and if not for injuries to Blasingame and Homer, might've been a healthy scratch the last two weeks.  He did not have an offensive snap against the Rams. As far as I can tell, that was only the 2nd time in his career that he suited up for a game and didn't get a touch (carry, reception, or KR). It is only the 5th time he didn't get a carry in his career, and 3 of the other 4 games were his first 3 of his rookie year and the 4th was Week 15 his rookie year. 

And for other guys, they might as well see what they can get for Everett, Davis, and Velus. Hell, throw Scott in there. 

2 hours ago, adam said:

8 carries and 2 receptions thru 4 weeks.

In his last 2 seasons, he was averaging over 50 yards per game, that's down to 4. He clearly has been relegated to RB3/4, and if not for injuries to Blasingame and Homer, might've been a healthy scratch the last two weeks.  He did not have an offensive snap against the Rams. As far as I can tell, that was only the 2nd time in his career that he suited up for a game and didn't get a touch (carry, reception, or KR). It is only the 5th time he didn't get a carry in his career, and 3 of the other 4 games were his first 3 of his rookie year and the 4th was Week 15 his rookie year. 

And for other guys, they might as well see what they can get for Everett, Davis, and Velus. Hell, throw Scott in there. 

I dont think because some players arent getting minutes, means they are going to trade them. Injuries happen all the time. At some point, Herbert will get some valuable minutes. Bad teams trade good players during the season, we are past that now. We are in win mode and we are not trading our depth. Herbert wasnt in their plans anyways, drafted Johnson and signed Swift, he has to much of  injury issues and isnt a good pass blocker. Also Jenkins wont be back unless he signs a team friendly deal because of injuries.

Thayer talked about Herbert today.  He stated that Swift and Johnson compliment each other because they are both three down backs.  Plus, Roschon is the best blocking back.  He said, the Herbert is still in play during run heavy weeks.

9 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I dont think because some players arent getting minutes, means they are going to trade them. Injuries happen all the time. At some point, Herbert will get some valuable minutes. Bad teams trade good players during the season, we are past that now. We are in win mode and we are not trading our depth. Herbert wasnt in their plans anyways, drafted Johnson and signed Swift, he has to much of  injury issues and isnt a good pass blocker. Also Jenkins wont be back unless he signs a team friendly deal because of injuries.

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Thayer talked about Herbert today.  He stated that Swift and Johnson compliment each other because they are both three down backs.  Plus, Roschon is the best blocking back.  He said, the Herbert is still in play during run heavy weeks.

sure, Herbert has value. That's why he also has trade value, but he has value to us too for sure.

The question is who would be on the other side of the trade. If it was a good OL, Id do it in a heartbeat. If it's a 5th round pick, then better to keep him for now, and trade later when the market is awake, maybe the trade deadline, maybe during the offseason.

12 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

sure, Herbert has value. That's why he also has trade value, but he has value to us too for sure.

The question is who would be on the other side of the trade. If it was a good OL, Id do it in a heartbeat. If it's a 5th round pick, then better to keep him for now, and trade later when the market is awake, maybe the trade deadline, maybe during the offseason.

I am thinking a few more weeks down the road. If he is getting so few snaps, then getting a 5th for him for 8 weeks is a pretty good deal for the Bears. The 5th in itself may not have too much value, but if it can be used to move up, then it gains some value. 

Like if the CAR pick ends up being between 33-36, a mid to high 5th rounder can move you into the late first like 34>31. The Bears don't have a 4th or a 6th and will get one of those from the Steelers. It is looking more and more like a 4th, which would be awesome. 

With the Bears being at least a year away from a deep playoff run, I would consider trading players at the deadline that will be free agents after this season:

Herbert, Homer, and Allen are probably the only 3 with ANY trade value. I don't think they trade Allen, but he does fit this category. 

Just based on usage, maybe Scott is on the trading block too. Why waste a roster spot when the guy is not used at all?

12 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Yes of course trade him to upgrade the OL room but what teams let starter quality OL go during the season? Bad teams with over paid OL might be the case but why trade for a RB that probably becomes a FA at the end of the season when you're having a bad season?

16 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Yes of course trade him to upgrade the OL room but what teams let starter quality OL go during the season? Bad teams with over paid OL might be the case but why trade for a RB that probably becomes a FA at the end of the season when you're having a bad season?

Absolutely right.  If we are going to find a starter quality OL, I believe we'll have to trade a draft pick to an underperforming team.

8 hours ago, adam said:

I am thinking a few more weeks down the road. If he is getting so few snaps, then getting a 5th for him for 8 weeks is a pretty good deal for the Bears. The 5th in itself may not have too much value, but if it can be used to move up, then it gains some value. 

Like if the CAR pick ends up being between 33-36, a mid to high 5th rounder can move you into the late first like 34>31. The Bears don't have a 4th or a 6th and will get one of those from the Steelers. It is looking more and more like a 4th, which would be awesome. 

With the Bears being at least a year away from a deep playoff run, I would consider trading players at the deadline that will be free agents after this season:

Herbert, Homer, and Allen are probably the only 3 with ANY trade value. I don't think they trade Allen, but he does fit this category. 

Just based on usage, maybe Scott is on the trading block too. Why waste a roster spot when the guy is not used at all?

Dallas would be who I'd look to trade him to.  They need a RB big time.  

Zach Martin is getting older (33), so he'd be a more short term option at OG, but he would definitely upgrade our OL for the next 2 years.

I'd trade Herbert for him right now, but I wouldn't spend any draft picks higher than a 5th or something because of his age.

I understand these type of dicussions on trading players when they arent playing but if your  an ascending team why would you trade quality depth? No one is giving high draft picks for a backup RB. Allen was traded for a 4th round pick( an allstar WR). Fields was traded for a (now status) 4th round pick. You be lucky to get a 6th round pick for him.  Herbert has good tape but also an injury issue. He missed 9 games in his last 2 seasons,  and doesnt pass block very well.

Homer is currently injured and Ian Wheeler is out for the year with a knee. RBs get injured a lot .

THEY ARE NOT TRADING HIM

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

I understand these type of dicussions on trading players when they arent playing but if your  an ascending team why would you trade quality depth? No one is giving high draft picks for a backup RB. Allen was traded for a 4th round pick( an allstar WR). Fields was traded for a (now status) 4th round pick. You be lucky to get a 6th round pick for him.  Herbert has good tape but also an injury issue. He missed 9 games in his last 2 seasons,  and doesnt pass block very well.

Homer is currently injured and Ian Wheeler is out for the year with a knee. RBs get injured a lot .

THEY ARE NOT TRADING HIM

If Velus showed any promise to be a #3, Herbert would be more expendable.  So for now, Herbert is valuable depth on the roster and imo not being shopped.

That does not mean the Bears are not listening if they get a call. Poles has a price set on all players.  

Rumors out the say Dallas or KC are potential suitors for Herbert. The return mentioned is a 6th and 7th. To me, keep him and when he signs elsewhere next year, if he gets paid well, the Bears will be compensated then. 

Another rumor starting to heat up is KC trading for Keenan Allen with the injury to Raseed Rice. Of course, Devante Adam's is on the block, but would the Raiders trade to a division rival? 

Would you be okay sending Allen for a 3rd or 4th rd pick?

7 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

If Velus showed any promise to be a #3, Herbert would be more expendable.  So for now, Herbert is valuable depth on the roster and imo not being shopped.

That does not mean the Bears are not listening if they get a call. Poles has a price set on all players.  

Rumors out the say Dallas or KC are potential suitors for Herbert. The return mentioned is a 6th and 7th. To me, keep him and when he signs elsewhere next year, if he gets paid well, the Bears will be compensated then. 

Another rumor starting to heat up is KC trading for Keenan Allen with the injury to Raseed Rice. Of course, Devante Adam's is on the block, but would the Raiders trade to a division rival? 

There is always a price thar would trigger Poles to trade a player but past trades show you get less than expected. Players like Sweat will always get a high pick but marginal players go for much less. On a team ascending, is Herbert more vaulable as depth or a 6th round pick next year? I expect Adams will be trades but a 4th round pick is probably what they get. Allen fetched a 4th round pick. Allen has a history of injury issues which lowered his price, age also comes into play.

The rumors are always sport writers looking for a story, there are only a few that carry vaulable predictions. Rapport comes to mine. Poles needs to win this year and having Allen helps bring along  the developement of CW, that wont happen. 

Yes I’d trade Herbert once Homer is healthy.  Velus gets a lot of negative press but he did have some good pass pro moments in the preseason.  He might be a different runner but I think he can provide backup snaps with similar production to Herbert.  Unlike Herbert he can’t handle 20 snaps in a game but for that we have Roschon.  

i didn’t realize we do not have a RB on our practice squad.  

2 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Yes I’d trade Herbert once Homer is healthy.  Velus gets a lot of negative press but he did have some good pass pro moments in the preseason.  He might be a different runner but I think he can provide backup snaps with similar production to Herbert.  Unlike Herbert he can’t handle 20 snaps in a game but for that we have Roschon.  

i didn’t realize we do not have a RB on our practice squad.  

I get the desire to get something for a player that wont be here next year, I just dont think Poles is thinking that way. 

18 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I get the desire to get something for a player that wont be here next year, I just dont think Poles is thinking that way. 

There is another component to this, which are the comp picks. If they know they are not resigning him, thus no new contract, and they know the market for RBs, if the comp pick formula won't even cancel out another acquisition, then it is better to get something for him vs nothing. There is definitely some chess involved here.

Far too often do the Bears let dudes walk, then got crushed by the comp pick formula and get nothing for them. You can tell Poles plays the game because of how he has handled certain transactions. 

On 10/2/2024 at 10:55 PM, ASHKUM BEAR said:

If the Bears traded a 4th for Allen, and if they got a later 4th from a team like KC, that would be a net negative for how little they got out of him. Also, if he is going to command a decent salary and contract in 2025, due to comp picks, he may be one you keep to have that comp pick leverage. Like compared to Herbert, who may not only get a lower offer, getting a pick for him now may be better.

Regardless, you know Poles is going to be active at the deadline again this year.

35 minutes ago, adam said:

If the Bears traded a 4th for Allen, and if they got a later 4th from a team like KC, that would be a net negative for how little they got out of him. Also, if he is going to command a decent salary and contract in 2025, due to comp picks, he may be one you keep to have that comp pick leverage. Like compared to Herbert, who may not only get a lower offer, getting a pick for him now may be better.

Regardless, you know Poles is going to be active at the deadline again this year.

I threw the comp out for Herbert but it slipped my mind on Keenan Allen.  That is also in the formula with Poles as they seem to cover their bases even if they have made some mistakes.

Allen is practicing today, so will be a go Sunday.  It would be good to see Caleb spread the ball and get Moore, Allen, Odunze, and Kmet involved and a breakout game is had by the O.

The reason all of our weapons are not going off is because our QB is not up to speed yet. I think we see Poles vision the last half the season , and our offense will take off based on CWs growth. If you're building a team , I dont think you trade assets in the year you expect to start winning in, let's trade players. Herbert will see playing time as Johnson and Swift get dinged up. We are a couple lineman away from having a strong team. Being in a tough division will be difficult but look at last year's game, all were one score games except the first game with GB. We can compete in this divion. I think if we go 3-3 this year will show how good we can be. 

We have a 7 game winning streak at home. Soon to be 8 but the next week we are in London but is listed as a home game. Jacksonville isnt very good but who knows how the traveling affects our play. After the bye (4-2) it will be a big game on the road with Washington. That game will give us something to measure by. Daniels is playing well but lets see how he plays as teams adjust to him. 

• 2 weeks later...

With usage, I still think Herbert is on the block. He has had 6 snaps in the last 3 weeks total. Scott, who is even farther down the depth chart than Herbert, has 8 snaps in the last 3 weeks. Velus has not had an offensive snap since Week 1. Herbert does have 64 snaps on ST, but that is really it for him. Scott doesn't even play on Special Teams. So Carter sort of replaces both Scott and Velus. I guess they can keep Herbert around for kickoffs, but thats about it. 

Those 3, and now Davis, have to be "available". Davis is now a $10M backup Guard, while Herbert, Scott, and Velus are just eating up roster spots. 

There are 2 more games before the trading deadline. I am assuming Poles would only be a buyer if they win the next two and are sitting at 6-2 and a game with NE coming up. Anyone they bring in could technically miss that game to get up to speed for the GB game the following week.

I think Poles would be open to moving Davis, Herbert, Scott, or Velus regardless of record at the deadline as losing these guys would have minimal effect on the team for the remainder of the season. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

With usage, I still think Herbert is on the block. He has had 6 snaps in the last 3 weeks total. Scott, who is even farther down the depth chart than Herbert, has 8 snaps in the last 3 weeks. Velus has not had an offensive snap since Week 1. Herbert does have 64 snaps on ST, but that is really it for him. Scott doesn't even play on Special Teams. So Carter sort of replaces both Scott and Velus. I guess they can keep Herbert around for kickoffs, but thats about it. 

Those 3, and now Davis, have to be "available". Davis is now a $10M backup Guard, while Herbert, Scott, and Velus are just eating up roster spots. 

There are 2 more games before the trading deadline. I am assuming Poles would only be a buyer if they win the next two and are sitting at 6-2 and a game with NE coming up. Anyone they bring in could technically miss that game to get up to speed for the GB game the following week.

I think Poles would be open to moving Davis, Herbert, Scott, or Velus regardless of record at the deadline as losing these guys would have minimal effect on the team for the remainder of the season. 

He isnt trading  anyone unless they give him a top draft pick. No one will do that. His (Herbert) depth value is more vaulable that a 6th round pick. 

I continue to be perplexed at the lack of Herbert usage in this offense. He's too good of a runner not to play. Roschon might be a better receiver out of the backfield, but Herbert is much more explosive, and I actually think he's better in short yardage than Roschon, but I digress. 

With Wheeler on IR, I think you have to keep Herbert in case of injury, because otherwise you're down to trusting Velus Jones or another practice squad guy to fill in, and I don't think that's a risk I would take if I'm the Bears and am trying to compete for a playoff spot.

2 hours ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

I continue to be perplexed at the lack of Herbert usage in this offense. He's too good of a runner not to play. Roschon might be a better receiver out of the backfield, but Herbert is much more explosive, and I actually think he's better in short yardage than Roschon, but I digress. 

With Wheeler on IR, I think you have to keep Herbert in case of injury, because otherwise you're down to trusting Velus Jones or another practice squad guy to fill in, and I don't think that's a risk I would take if I'm the Bears and am trying to compete for a playoff spot.

I think the thinking is that Swift is better than Herbert at everything Herbert does well, and Roschon is a power runner who doesnt have the homerun capability of Swift (and maybe Herbert?) but can grind out tough yards where Herbert is usually stopped by first contact?

So the role Herbert would fill, and can fill, which is why he has trade value, is filled better by Swift, while Roschomn offers a totally different set of complementary skills?

5 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I believe Herbert has value.  If we get into December, the run game could be a major factor.  Fresh legs on a really good runner could really be a weapon.

So I guess Poles has to determine if fresh legs are more important than whatever he would get in a trade for Herbert. I am glad I don't have to make that decision.