Herbert has to be trade bait right?

adam

14 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Honestly, what are you gonna get for him that is beyond his value here?

He won't make enough on the free market to figure into the comp pick formula, so the thought process is to see if you can get ANYTHING in terms of draft capital for him that could help you in future years. Basically Herbert's value ends this season. If you can get even a late round pick for him, his value extends beyond the contract.

The Patriots and Niners have been doing it multiple ways for years. They either acquire a one-year rental with a low pick and get back a higher one from the comp picks or trade away their guys before the contract runs out to ensure they get something for him.

The bottom feeders, including the Bears for quite awhile, do the exact opposite. They end up with too many boat anchors, players that have a negative effect on the roster after they leave. That is either with dead cap or by the loss of a future draft pick that was used to trade for them. The Bears felt the Mack trade from the Raiders up until last year. 

Like the Claypool trade, that will actually be felt on the roster thru 2026 (the last year of the rookie deal from the 2023 draft). 

6 minutes ago, adam said:

He won't make enough on the free market to figure into the comp pick formula, so the thought process is to see if you can get ANYTHING in terms of draft capital for him that could help you in future years. Basically Herbert's value ends this season. If you can get even a late round pick for him, his value extends beyond the contract.

The Patriots and Niners have been doing it multiple ways for years. They either acquire a one-year rental with a low pick and get back a higher one from the comp picks or trade away their guys before the contract runs out to ensure they get something for him.

The bottom feeders, including the Bears for quite awhile, do the exact opposite. They end up with too many boat anchors, players that have a negative effect on the roster after they leave. That is either with dead cap or by the loss of a future draft pick that was used to trade for them. The Bears felt the Mack trade from the Raiders up until last year. 

Like the Claypool trade, that will actually be felt on the roster thru 2026 (the last year of the rookie deal from the 2023 draft). 

My philosophy is that his value, this season, is greater than a seventh round pick.  He makes a million dollars on that last year of his rookie deal.  He had relatively low mileage on his body.  I would argue that he's the best pure runner on the team.  If he can come in late season and be a contributer, imagine the boost, especially if we make the playoffs.  Making us more competitive this early in the window would inspire confidence that is invaluable.

30 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

My philosophy is that his value, this season, is greater than a seventh round pick.  He makes a million dollars on that last year of his rookie deal.  He had relatively low mileage on his body.  I would argue that he's the best pure runner on the team.  If he can come in late season and be a contributer, imagine the boost, especially if we make the playoffs.  Making us more competitive this early in the window would inspire confidence that is invaluable.

I am good with keeping him because an injury to Swift and you are using Roschon and Homer, and I don't think anyone wants more Homer.

2 hours ago, AZ54 said:

The fact we still have no RB on the practice squad tells me he’s staying. 

that's as good a read as any. if we see them sign one, then it will be a signal to think about.

of course, if the right price or player comes available, you might rush to grab a RB for the practice squad at that point.

But your point does seem to indicate it isnt imminent, or part of the general plan right now, so good read.

5 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

that's as good a read as any. if we see them sign one, then it will be a signal to think about.

of course, if the right price or player comes available, you might rush to grab a RB for the practice squad at that point.

But your point does seem to indicate it isnt imminent, or part of the general plan right now, so good read.

One issue is they cannot sign a practice squad RB off another roster unless they pur him on the 53. They have to trade Herbert and then sign an active roster rb.