Braxton Jones

Mongo3451

Braxton Jones is in year three and is regressing.  We haven't been told anything about the neck injury he sustained last year, but something is clearly wrong.  He is trying to catch his opponents instead of striking out at them.  He is constantly too close to Caleb in the pocket.  A QB can feel this.  Jones is not giving Caleb any room to side step for throwing and/or running lanes.  Something has to change with his approach, because he bloody awful.  I'm interested to see some of Seattle's tape from last year to see if it's a Waldron, Braxton or Morgan thing.  Crazy thing is Darnell Wright is doing the same thing.  

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

Braxton Jones is in year three and is regressing.  We haven't been told anything about the neck injury he sustained last year, but something is clearly wrong.  He is trying to catch his opponents instead of striking out at them.  He is constantly too close to Caleb in the pocket.  A QB can feel this.  Jones is not giving Caleb any room to side step for throwing and/or running lanes.  Something has to change with his approach, because he bloody awful.  I'm interested to see some of Seattle's tape from last year to see if it's a Waldron, Braxton or Morgan thing.  Crazy thing is Darnell Wright is doing the same thing.  

Wright was always a puncher. It was maybe the best part of his game. I think you may be on to something regarding what they're being asked to do by coaches.

Wright was great and ascending. Damn them for screwing this up.

56 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Wright was always a puncher. It was maybe the best part of his game. I think you may be on to something regarding what they're being asked to do by coaches.

Wright was great and ascending. Damn them for screwing this up.

Does anyone have a PFF sub.? What I could find was he's currently  ranked 31st OT in the league. Keep in mind there are 64 starters current with many getting other snaps. He has a 70  pass blocking grade which is above average. I have notice several plays that he lost the battle but overall is gradig out well. I dont use PFF as a bible but it does give you sometyhing for comparision.

PFF is OK for next gen stats with inputs from regular stats like completions, yards etc.

But when it comes to player eval, thats all on their eyes, and they were the same guys telling us that Charles Leno was one of the best LTs in the NFL.

Im not even saying they are always wrong. Im saying they are random. It's not even the same person grading them. These just too much chaos in that system to have any kind of reliable output?

If you want to know how Jones is doing, just watch the tape. Hes getting pushed around way too much, and Caleb is getting crowded in the pocket way too much.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

PFF is OK for next gen stats with inputs from regular stats like completions, yards etc.

But when it comes to player eval, thats all on their eyes, and they were the same guys telling us that Charles Leno was one of the best LTs in the NFL.

Im not even saying they are always wrong. Im saying they are random. It's not even the same person grading them. These just too much chaos in that system to have any kind of reliable output?

If you want to know how Jones is doing, just watch the tape. Hes getting pushed around way too much, and Caleb is getting crowded in the pocket way too much.

Concur. PFF is trash in OL grades if they think Jones is in the middle of all starters. That’s nonsense. I know what my eyes are telling me.

23 minutes ago, jason said:

Concur. PFF is trash in OL grades if they think Jones is in the middle of all starters. That’s nonsense. I know what my eyes are telling me.

film is always better than stats. Even good stats, and PFF does not have good player eval stats LOL

8 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

film is always better than stats. Even good stats, and PFF does not have good player eval stats LOL

I see what you see but there are only a few OTs in the league that always have clean tape. If you look at all 22 on an average OT, do other fans say the same thing? If you compare him to Treat Williams he will always look like a failure but compare him to Brenard Raimann from the Colts and look at the results. 

To Mongo point I see the same things.  I can’t see how that is coaching since the Oline coach is the same.  I can understand how playing in a new offense with rookie QB new cadence and such is causing them to think too much. I just shouldn’t see that still happening in Wk4.  At least Wright can get it right and he has a lot of good reps.  Jone’s is constantly getting walked backward.  

i don’t know if my eyes deceived me but I thought I saw Amegadjie on the field blocking for special teams?   I just checked Pro Football Reference and he was in on 4 special teams plays.  There a big gap between blocking ST versus offense but at least he is now getting a glimpse of NFL speed and power.  

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I found the video from last week...

That was painful to watch. That's not coaching, IMO. That's Braxton signaling to Poles he is burnt toast.

Don't know if it is because of his injury last year, or maybe he isn't near 100% this year, or just F***ing lazy.

One thing for sure, he is going to get Caleb injured if he continues to play like what I just saw in the video.

I read a lot of positive press about Amegadjie. Let's hope he can take over the LOT spot soon.

I wouldn't complain if Poles used his 1st and both 2nds on the OL in the 2025 draft.

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

That was painful to watch. That's not coaching, IMO. That's Braxton signaling to Poles he is burnt toast.

Don't know if it is because of his injury last year, or maybe he isn't near 100% this year, or just F***ing lazy.

One thing for sure, he is going to get Caleb injured if he continues to play like what I just saw in the video.

I read a lot of positive press about Amegadjie. Let's hope he can take over the LOT spot soon.

I wouldn't complain if Poles used his 1st and both 2nds on the OL in the 2025 draft.

I suppose it's possible they are teaching new technique, but in general I agree with you. That's poor play on the part of the player.

3 hours ago, Pixote said:

I might because we need to add a young DT to this rotation.  I don't think that's going to be Pickens long term.  The Dline talent in this draft is plentiful while IOL doesn't appear to have much, if any, 1st Rd talent.  I expect we'll be drafting around 20 overall and at that spot you have to take the value that falls to you.  If it's a DT like Kenneth Grant on the board I'm ok grabbing him.  Grant at 340lbs can actually play both spots on the interior to mix and match with Dexter/Billings.   

Use the 2nd Rd picks for IOL and if needed take 3 bites at it with a third pick in Rd 3/4.   The one challenge Poles will have is the entire world knowing he's drafting IOL.  He might have to trade up a bit to ensure he gets two players he wants.    

14 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I might because we need to add a young DT to this rotation.  I don't think that's going to be Pickens long term.  The Dline talent in this draft is plentiful while IOL doesn't appear to have much, if any, 1st Rd talent.  I expect we'll be drafting around 20 overall and at that spot you have to take the value that falls to you.  If it's a DT like Kenneth Grant on the board I'm ok grabbing him.  Grant at 340lbs can actually play both spots on the interior to mix and match with Dexter/Billings.   

Use the 2nd Rd picks for IOL and if needed take 3 bites at it with a third pick in Rd 3/4.   The one challenge Poles will have is the entire world knowing he's drafting IOL.  He might have to trade up a bit to ensure he gets two players he wants.    

Poles goes after what he wants, traded up for Stevenson last year.  Draft Buzz has 4 OL projected to be 1st round picks and none are top 20. Lists 6 in the second round. DL in the 1st and 2 OL in the second could work out perfect as far as value. KC has 2 OL lineman hitting free agency and one is Humphrey .(OC) KC has a lot of big contracts so paying Humphrey will be difficult. We can.