Race to 1K

adam

Obviously the passing game was a little slow to get started, but has picked up the last 3 weeks with Caleb averaging 275 yds per game, if he can stay near 250 per game, there is a good chance 2-3 receivers break 1K. I don't think Allen is going to do it. Same with Velus or Scott.

Thru 5 weeks:

1. Moore - 294, needs 59 y/g to hit 1K
2. Kmet - 219, needs 65 y/g to hit 1K
3. Odunze - 206, needs 66 y/g to hit 1K
4. Swift - 165, needs 70 y/g to hit 1K
5. Allen - 81, needs 77 y/g to hit 1K
6. Everett - 22, needs 82 y/g to hit 1K
7. Velus - 8, needs 83 y/g to hit 1K
8. Scott - 0, needs 84 y/g to hit 1K

Swift is 13th amongst RBs in yards from scrimmage; that is somewhat surprising considering his first 3 games he had 30, 42, and 42 total yards. He followed up those 3 stinkers with 165 and 120. I hope he can consistently stay over 100. That should slide him into the top 10 by the end of the year. 

All a defense can know is that Velus Jones, Everett, and Scott are not the favorite targets.  Everyone else has to be covered.   That kind of balance is very good for a rookie QB in his first 6 games and already he's forcing defenses to cover the entire field.   What will we add to the offense in the bye week?  

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

This is fun. I know they have a brutal second half of the year and still have work to do - but man this team has been fun to watch these past few weeks. 

Please let this be for real and just the very very beginning of something super magical!!!! 

It feels different. With Trubisky, there was a collective groan from the time he was drafted. Then he hit that wall that he couldn't overcome. Then they drafted Fields, and there was excitement for his potential, and he got really close to living up to it, but for some reason, always fell short.

With Williams, this feels different. Waldron may not be a mastermind but he is probably the best OC the Bears have had since Trestman. The skill position players, especially the top 5 of Moore, Allen, Odunze, Kmet, and Swift are comparable with top 10 teams in the league. The defense has gone 11 months without allowing more than 21 pts. They have only allowed 4 TDs in one game out of the last 19.  Stroud's 260 passing yards is the most the Bears have allowed this season thru 6 games. The defense was down 3 starters and their #1 DB sub in Smith and still held Lawrence, Thomas, Kirk, etc in check. 

This is setting up for long term success, especially with 3 picks in the first two rounds next year. CAR is tied for last but has the hardest SoS, so they are technically 4th, which would give them the 3rd pick in the 2nd round as the tied teams rotate per round. That is pick #35 right now. 

Been watching JT Osullivan's breakdowns on Caleb the last couple of weeks, and he's been pointing out since the beginning of the season that the Bears are not utilizing their personnel as effectively as they should with their WR's. He thinks Rome should be our #1 because of his ability to create separation. DJ Moore's route running is not #1 level, in his mind, and Keenan Allen isn't creating separation at all, though his ball skills were evident in the game the other day.

I agree wholeheartedly with his assessment. Caleb has been making up for some of these issues with elite mobility and ball placement, but we really need to start lining Rome up as the team's X and start taking more deep shots with him. He was the best deep ball, contested catch receiver in the draft. He needs to get more opportunities, moving forward.

39 minutes ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

Been watching JT Osullivan's breakdowns on Caleb the last couple of weeks, and he's been pointing out since the beginning of the season that the Bears are not utilizing their personnel as effectively as they should with their WR's. He thinks Rome should be our #1 because of his ability to create separation. DJ Moore's route running is not #1 level, in his mind, and Keenan Allen isn't creating separation at all, though his ball skills were evident in the game the other day.

I agree wholeheartedly with his assessment. Caleb has been making up for some of these issues with elite mobility and ball placement, but we really need to start lining Rome up as the team's X and start taking more deep shots with him. He was the best deep ball, contested catch receiver in the draft. He needs to get more opportunities, moving forward.

I've been thinking, the last few weeks, that we lack speed at the WR position.  Love DJ as the YAC and Rome as the big.  Keenan is the technician, but has lost a couple of steps.  I'm thinking a lid popper is in the mix next year.

45 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I've been thinking, the last few weeks, that we lack speed at the WR position.  Love DJ as the YAC and Rome as the big.  Keenan is the technician, but has lost a couple of steps.  I'm thinking a lid popper is in the mix next year.

I agree, they probably had Velus and Scott in that role, but neither of them have very many snaps.

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

1 hour ago, adam said:

I agree, they probably had Velus and Scott in that role, but neither of them have very many snaps.

yup, Im not surprised that Velus didnt work out, but where is Scott?

8 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

yup, Im not surprised that Velus didnt work out, but where is Scott?

He is on the Adam Rank Podcast every week, lol. So we get to see him talk about the game. Feels kind of weird now talking weekly to the guy who is either a healthy scratch or dresses but never sees the field. Scott has dressed in every game since Week 2 and has a total of 13 snaps. In comparison, Carter has 124. 

You would think that Scott would be used in those situations, but I guess he showed last year that if he is thrown the ball, he can't catch it anyway. 

It is hard for me to believe that him and Mooney are the same size. Whatever it is, Mooney looks taller and stronger.