Inconsistent Officials

adam

I will have the videos later, but the Bears (Edmunds) caused a fumble after a completion to Travis Etienne, but they overturned the play on the field as an incomplete pass. It was clear that Etienne caught it facing the QB, then turned to go forward when Edmunds punched the ball out. The call on the field was fumble and Bears recovery. 

Then in the ARZ/GB game, James Conner did the exact same thing, catch and turn, and they called it a fumble in GBs favor. No review. 

Crazy. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

I will have the videos later, but the Bears (Edmunds) caused a fumble after a completion to Travis Etienne, but they overturned the play on the field as an incomplete pass. It was clear that Etienne caught it facing the QB, then turned to go forward when Edmunds punched the ball out. The call on the field was fumble and Bears recovery. 

Then in the ARZ/GB game, James Conner did the exact same thing, catch and turn, and they called it a fumble in GBs favor. No review. 

Crazy. 

Yeah that was a really bad call to overturn that play.  

1 hour ago, adam said:

Olave had the same play, it was allowed to be a catch, fumble, and TD return for the defense. Why does the league hate the Bears so much?

Not sure there is a bias, but it was weird.  The call was catch and fumble.  The review should concentrate on irrefutable to the contrary at that point.  It was very arguable.  IMO, a gaffe...

The Bears were the only game on, so HQs could have all their attention on one game. How does that one get overturned after it was called a fumble on the field, while the others were almost exactly the same. 

Once the full games post, I am going to grab all 3 plays and compare. Live, they looked basically the same, player catches the ball, gets 2 feet down, turns upfield, fumbles. Possession and football move, which I thought turning up field was. 

Also, this seems to punish the defender as Edmunds was too good on that play. 

I almost want to bet if JAX recovered, they would've left it that way and called it a fumble and recovery for the offense. 

Here are two of the plays, Etienne's fumble that was overturned as incomplete, and Olave's that was allowed to be returned for a TD. They don't have the All-22 for the Saints game up yet, so it is harder to see, but the first defender actually knocks the ball out before the 2nd defender hits Olave. I just don't understand how Etienne somehow didn't make a football move, yet he was facing Lawrence when he caught the ball, turned 180 and a 3rd step right when Edmunds hits the ball. However, the ball doesn't shoot out immediately, it actually slides out as he is falling down. On Olave's it actually comes out quicker. 

I honestly believe they got both calls wrong. Olave's should've been an incomplete and Etienne's should've been a fumble, just based on the player movements and how long they actually possessed the ball before fumbling. 

the nfl doesn't want good officiating. if they did this BILLION DOLLAR corporation would hire permanent officials who are held accountable for their jobs.

the nfl also makes the rules so purposely ambiguous that any way you call a play is the correct call. what does this mean??

it means that the referee's control a game and decide who wins and who loses. not the players. the penalties at crucial times in a game decide this.

it also it appears to me that this process has to be involved with gambling. the refs can shave points or shape a game to fit whatever spreads they so choose. some calls are so bad i can't imagine it to be anything else unless it's gross incompetence or they choose the team of their liking as a biased fan. if any of this really is the case why are they not fired? the whole league should be investigated. this is not all star wrestling (at least not yet?).

i also think you can add to this that the nfl makes more money on certain venues. this way they can control the money coming into their coffers if the high profile teams that garner the bigger audiences makes it to the playoffs/superbowl.