OL Trade Question

BearFan PHX

I've been seeing a bunch of online rumor-mongering around the idea of a trade deadline deal for an Offensive Lineman. All of it seems to be around the Guard position. There are at least three different names I've read.

I'm not saying this is going to happen at all. Just that people farming for clicks have been saying it. But my question to you guys is, if you were going to trade for an OL at the deadline, and assume the player would be pretty good, but not necessarily blue chip, like a top 10 guy, but not a top 5 guy - which position would you trade for? Which current OL would you replace?

For me the OG question has been a little better with Pryor and Jenkins/Murray, and I'm hoping Bates comes back at center and does well, so I'm saying Id take a decent player to replace Braxton Jones at LT. if I could only upgrade one this year.

That's why I'm thinking these rumors are extra silly. What do you guys think?

I think with the prospect of Bates coming back he will wait to see what he does. The trade deadline is down the road so he has time. Kiwan is waiting in the wings if Jones doesnt get better. The worse teams that may be willing to do that probably doesnt have any playing well enough to get anything for them. Good teams value the OL. Conor Williams is playing worse than Shelton right now, has 2 sacks given up and 5 penalities. He will be a FA after this year.

17 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I think with the prospect of Bates coming back he will wait to see what he does. The trade deadline is down the rode so he has time. Kiwan is waiting in the wings if Jones doesnt get better. The worse teams that may be willing to do that probably doesnt have any playing well enough to get anything for them. Good teams value the OL. Conor Williams is playing worse than Shelton right now has 2 sacks given up and 5 penalities. He will be a FA after this year.

I dont disagree with any of this. I think to trade for an OL you gotta love him long term, and hes got to be young enough. So I dont really see it happening. It could, but i dont predict it - it'd have to be a good player.

But the question Im asking, since im seeing all this OG trade talk, is if Poles did something at all on the OL, would it even be at OG?

10 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I dont disagree with any of this. I think to trade for an OL you gotta love him long term, and hes got to be young enough. So I dont really see it happening. It could, but i dont predict it - it'd have to be a good player.

But the question Im asking, since im seeing all this OG trade talk, is if Poles did something at all on the OL, would it even be at OG?

With Murray and Pryor playing well enough I doubt it. Getting Davis was a bust, more so because of the 10 mil he paid him. Cheap free agents surprise you, expensive ones ,if it doesnt work out , are bad decisions. If anyone does want to trade someone it would an older guy with a big contract. Poles wont do that.

Now Reddicks (DE) name as been in the news but it sounds like he is a character issue. Signed a one year contract for 14.5 mil and wont play because he wants more money.

I wonder what positions are easier to adapt to after a trade? I would have to assume DT is the easiest as you basically just need to know your gap and whether you are pass rushing or run defending. The secondary seems tough because you have so many different assignments based on the coverage. Then for WRs, you have the option routes.

So if they add anyone, it might be depth on the DLine, DT or Edge. O-Line is possible too, especially depth-wise. What's crazy is, what is the weakest spot on the roster as a starter? Edge 2 right? For O-Line, Center or RG? Those 3 probably tied for the worst. Outside of that though, does this team even have a weakness? WRs, LBs and RBs are stacked, secondary looked strong even with a few backups in. TEs seem ok, thought Everett has been underwhelming and Lewis is really on the roster for leadership. 

Poles stated he is building  thru the draft, he only gets free agents to fill needs. He brought in Taylor(cheap), Jacob Martin ( coming back from injury), signed Tim Williams and  drafted Booker. I dont think he is going after any DL.

Pryor is the starter at RG for sake of the bad Davis but he is still listed as the backup. Murray is the backup tp Jenkins and has performed well. Bates is coming back from injury but Shelton has played better. Booker is coming off injury and was the original swing tackle. Kiran is starting to get some snaps, be it ST. I think he has every position covered with backups that are capable of good snaps. I dont think there is anyone available that can do better. 

We could upgrade a few spots but with who?He's not wasting trade capital and give out a big contract to a disgruntiled player.

4 hours ago, adam said:

I wonder what positions are easier to adapt to after a trade? I would have to assume DT is the easiest as you basically just need to know your gap and whether you are pass rushing or run defending. The secondary seems tough because you have so many different assignments based on the coverage. Then for WRs, you have the option routes.

So if they add anyone, it might be depth on the DLine, DT or Edge. O-Line is possible too, especially depth-wise. What's crazy is, what is the weakest spot on the roster as a starter? Edge 2 right? For O-Line, Center or RG? Those 3 probably tied for the worst. Outside of that though, does this team even have a weakness? WRs, LBs and RBs are stacked, secondary looked strong even with a few backups in. TEs seem ok, thought Everett has been underwhelming and Lewis is really on the roster for leadership. 

Braxton Jones needs to be relegated to backup tackle, so there's a premium weakness. 

I rank our weaknesses in how bad the player is and the premium of the position.  I would say C, LT, edge 2 and OG respectively.  Envisioning the off season, free agency should get us a starting OG, with the draft netting the LT, EDGE and center.  I only did it that way because you can't get the premium positions as cheaply as a guard.

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Braxton Jones needs to be relegated to backup tackle, so there's a premium weakness. 

I rank our weaknesses in how bad the player is and the premium of the position.  I would say C, LT, edge 2 and OG respectively.  Envisioning the off season, free agency should get us a starting OG, with the draft netting the LT, EDGE and center.  I only did it that way because you can't get the premium positions as cheaply as a guard.

this is exactly how I feel too.

there's no point in making a trade deadline trade just to do it - you have to believe at this point in our evolution that the player youre getting is not just better than what you have, but will be a plus starter for several years. Im not sure anyone is offering a plus starter at LT, but if they do, we should jump on it at almost any price shy of our first round pick or cap hell. I just doubt they will be available.

My main point in this thread though, was how all the pundits are touting various trades for OG, and I feel like center and LT are more pressing needs on the OL right now. Maybe Bates will come back and take center off the list. I sure hope so.

Cam Robinson LT JAX- seems like a potential player who could be traded.  I believe his contract is coming up and Jax could look to tear down and rebuild.  They also drafted a LT high in 2023. 

Would Robinson be of any interest and would a 2nd Rd pick do it? I haven't looked in to his evaluations. 

Can Kiran, Braxton, or a 1st-2nd round pick in 2025 be better? 

So Im starting to look into Cam Robinson, and I was thinking "where can I find a rating that I respect more than the PFF rating" and as I googled his Madden ratings came up. Now I know that Madden is a video game, and that people are often offended at the ratings they give players as too high or too low, but I chuckled and thought "I wonder if Madden ratings are more reliable than PFF" LOL

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

So Im starting to look into Cam Robinson, and I was thinking "where can I find a rating that I respect more than the PFF rating" and as I googled his Madden ratings came up. Now I know that Madden is a video game, and that people are often offended at the ratings they give players as too high or too low, but I chuckled and thought "I wonder if Madden ratings are more reliable than PFF" LOL

Most grading sites show that the Bears have a better O-Line than the Jags. Using PFF, both Jones and Wright are rated higher than Robinson right now. So I don't know how much of an upgrade he would be and he is on the last year of his deal, so he might end up as a rental. So there is some chess that can be played.

If you trade for him and give away a mid to late round pick and he signs elsewhere in the offseason, you might get back a comp pick that is better. 

Robinson has a huge cap hit bigger than the Bears available cap, so there would have to be a lot of massaging going on to fit him under the cap.