Week 8 Official Game Thread - CHI @ WAS, SUN 10/27, 3:25PM, CBS, Bears -2.5, O/U 43.5

adam

I am surprised the Bears are favored by almost a FG, which implies 5.5 pts on a neutral field. I am assuming they don't think Daniels is playing. 

The Bears will need to stop the run and take away McLaurin. 

This is going to be a tight game, probably decided by a turnover or a dumb call by the refs. I am going Bears 24-21.

• adam featured and pinned this topic

The spread is just reacting to the injury, if they say he is playing by Sat, the spread will move. The strongest group of the game is our defense. I expect us to keep them arounf 20 points. TOs will matter, on the rad penalties will matter, CW play will matter. Brandon Allen is out for the year that will help our offense.

Most games will come down to the end of the game, CW should make a difference in the 4th quarter.

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

The spread is just reacting to the injury, if they say he is playing by Sat, the spread will move. The strongest group of the game is our defense. I expect us to keep them arounf 20 points. TOs will matter, on the rad penalties will matter, CW play will matter. Brandon Allen is out for the year that will help our offense.

Most games will come down to the end of the game, CW should make a difference in the 4th quarter.

You must mean Jonathan Allen who is on IR.  

2 hours ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

Schefter says the plan is to attempt to see if Daniels can practice on Friday.

I still think he plays. 

Ribs for QBs are tricky. One bad hit and he is out for multiple weeks, compared to him resting for a week and not being at risk. I think they play it safe as Mariota played well, they are at home, and this is not a must win game for them. 

14 minutes ago, adam said:

Brisker and Gordon out again worries me. This might be the game that ends the streak of 21 or less pts allowed. 

Looks like safety will possibly be a draft need.  Can't count on Brisker and Gordon has missed his share of games too. Byard fits nice, but is he long term. 

17 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Looks like safety will possibly be a draft need.  Can't count on Brisker and Gordon has missed his share of games too. Byard fits nice, but is he long term. 

Gonna be interesting to see what they do about extensions for that year group coming up. They can't extend everyone. Byard still looks solid, and he is playing like a top 10 Safety. I would not mind resigning him next year. 

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

51 minutes ago, adam said:

Gonna be interesting to see what they do about extensions for that year group coming up. They can't extend everyone.

For both reasons, I think we draft DBs next year too.

It's nice to be in a position that one of our main worries is replacing great players in 2 years. Whens the last time THAT was a Bears' concern? :)

Brisker and Gordon being out is scary news if Daniels decides to play. I think, even with Mariota, that makes the Commanders dangerous on offense. The secondary was lucky Jacksonville couldn't catch the ball in the endzone. Trevor Lawrence was doing some nice things until the lead just became too insurmountable. This Commanders team is much better running the ball than Jacksonville. I worry this could be a game the D gets exposed more than they have in the last year if those two are unable to play.

And, yeah, Bears need to look at a Brisker replacement next year. I'm not re-signing an injury prone safety. Maybe there's a team in the off-season who'd be willing to give up draft capital for him. Otherwise, I'd just let him walk and collect the comp pick.

Gordon, on the other hand, is a trickier situation. He's just as injury prone, but plays a more important position. He's a little like what we had with Bryce Callahan under Fangio. Good player, but just can't stay healthy. Not sure what to do with him.

22 minutes ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

Brisker and Gordon being out is scary news if Daniels decides to play. I think, even with Mariota, that makes the Commanders dangerous on offense. The secondary was lucky Jacksonville couldn't catch the ball in the endzone. Trevor Lawrence was doing some nice things until the lead just became too insurmountable. This Commanders team is much better running the ball than Jacksonville. I worry this could be a game the D gets exposed more than they have in the last year if those two are unable to play.

And, yeah, Bears need to look at a Brisker replacement next year. I'm not re-signing an injury prone safety. Maybe there's a team in the off-season who'd be willing to give up draft capital for him. Otherwise, I'd just let him walk and collect the comp pick.

Gordon, on the other hand, is a trickier situation. He's just as injury prone, but plays a more important position. He's a little like what we had with Bryce Callahan under Fangio. Good player, but just can't stay healthy. Not sure what to do with him.

The LBs really need to step up and cover that short to intermediate area on the right. Daniels throws 75% of his passes to the right from the hash out to about 10 yards.

Hicks stepped up and had the 4th highest grade on defense vs JAX, and Blackwell had that INT. Terrell Smith and Stevenson should be back, which will help.

10 minutes ago, adam said:

The LBs really need to step up and cover that short to intermediate area on the right. Daniels throws 75% of his passes to the right from the hash out to about 10 yards.

Hicks stepped up and had the 4th highest grade on defense vs JAX, and Blackwell had that INT. Terrell Smith and Stevenson should be back, which will help.

I can imagine a weird "unsound" defense that generates interceptions based on his obvious predelection to throw short and right. Maybe a zone blitz look.

Prediction: Dexter gets 2 INTs and Billings gets 1.

Yeah Im kidding, but that would be fun.

Booker might be an intriguing player to do weird stuff with?

11 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I can imagine a weird "unsound" defense that generates interceptions based on his obvious predelection to throw short and right. Maybe a zone blitz look.

Prediction: Dexter gets 2 INTs and Billings gets 1.

Yeah Im kidding, but that would be fun.

Booker might be an intriguing player to do weird stuff with?

Yeah, or the Wide 9, show blitz and drop random players into those spaces. 

1 hour ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

Elite NB we keep him but yes they are a concern.  I suspect that’s true for any smaller player filling a hybrid LB CB role.   Brisker is easier to replace in this defense as proven last week.  That’s not to say he was as good as Brisker rather just that the scheme can survive with lesser talent at safety. 

4 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Elite NB we keep him but yes they are a concern.  I suspect that’s true for any smaller player filling a hybrid LB CB role.   Brisker is easier to replace in this defense as proven last week.  That’s not to say he was as good as Brisker rather just that the scheme can survive with lesser talent at safety. 

I think that's right. Brisker IS a good player, but there are other safeties out there, even on the roster. Id love to keep him, but not to pay him big, and that's the question. I think you're right about how that will go.

8 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I think that's right. Brisker IS a good player, but there are other safeties out there, even on the roster. Id love to keep him, but not to pay him big, and that's the question. I think you're right about how that will go.

Brisker is trending into Mike Brown territory with all the injuries. In Brisker's case, it is concussions. He should consider a guardian cap.