Derek Anderson, QB

Pixote

I wouldn't be surprised if CLE held onto Anderson for one more year. Just think if they let him go and Quinn turns into Ryan Leaf.

I just think they need one year with Quinn at the helm before letting their security blanket go.

It is probably a good thing anyway. It would've cost the Bears too much.

Derek Anderson isn't going anywhere this year.

IMO, Cleveland's GM there is just sabotaging his chances to build a better team long term, but he's also trying to keep his job short term so it's hard to blame them. I just don't think it is the right move for a rebuilding team to hold on to a high value QB and a highly drafted QB in this league, especially not after you lost this year's first rounder. It's just a blueprint for stagnating at around 9-7.

...us Bears fans know all too well about stagnating with QB's!

IMO, Cleveland's GM there is just sabotaging his chances to build a better team long term, but he's also trying to keep his job short term so it's hard to blame them. I just don't think it is the right move for a rebuilding team to hold on to a high value QB and a highly drafted QB in this league, especially not after you lost this year's first rounder. It's just a blueprint for stagnating at around 9-7.

Anderson gets about 2.5mil with the high tender offer. That gives Cleveland the right to match any offer he gets but that would force a team to give up a 1st and 3rd Rd pick. As stated nobody is going to give up the picks for Anderson so he won't get an offer.

They have $30mil in cap space. The money given to Quinn is already gone so that's not a factor and it also makes Quinn untradeable due to cap hit. With this team, coaches, GM, etc. fighting for their jobs so they'll keep both QBs which is a very affordable option for them. If Anderson lights it up next year they'll offer him a new contract midseason and then hang onto Quinn as the backup for perhaps one more year and then look to move Quinn. Unless someone comes along with a good offer for Quinn after next year but I'm not sure what cap hit they'd take to trade Quinn after two seasons.

I'm not against the idea of inquiring into Anderson but I just don't see why Cleveland would let him go.