Scout Talk: Senior Bowl winners and losers

Pixote

There was an interesting article on the Chicago Tribune website entitled Scout Talk: Senior Bowl winners and losers that talked about the players who played in the Senior Bowl and which ones may be on the rise and which ones are falling out of grace with some of the GMs & scouts.

One player we have discussed quite a bit in other threads was the first mentioned:

After a week of watching Senior Bowl practice, NFL scouts are getting a better handle on how draft prospects should stack up in comparison with one another.

One of the big winners last week was Delaware quarterback Joe Flacco, who looked like the best passer in Mobile. One front-office man said Flacco has gone from a third-round pick to a high second-round pick, and it's even possible he could sneak into the first round. Flacco also may have passed Louisville's Brian Brohm as the second-ranked quarterback in the draft behind Matt Ryan of Boston College.

"Flacco doesn't have real good feet, but he has very good arm talent," one scout said.

A good article mentioning many other players, well worth the read for draftniks.

There was an interesting article on the Chicago Tribune website entitled Scout Talk: Senior Bowl winners and losers that talked about the players who played in the Senior Bowl and which ones may be on the rise and which ones are falling out of grace with some of the GMs & scouts.

One player we have discussed quite a bit in other threads was the first mentioned:

A good article mentioning many other players, well worth the read for draftniks.

Damn, I was hoping Flacco would not move up so high. Doubt we get him now. I guess the 2nd round is still a possibility.

Damn, I was hoping Flacco would not move up so high. Doubt we get him now. I guess the 2nd round is still a possibility.

Exactly what I was thinking. As much as I would like him in a Bears Uniform, I do not want him in the 1st. If we traded down and had 2 2nd rd picks and he was there, especially if Rex or Griese leaves the team, I would grab him without a second thought.

My QB rankings as of now is...

01. Brian Brohm, Louisville

02. Matt Ryan, BC

03. Joe Flacco, Delaware

04. Chad Henne, Michigan

05. Andre' Woodson, Kentucky

06. Josh Johnson, San Deigo

07. Erik Ainge, Tennessee

08. Colt Brennan, Hawaii

09. John David Booty, USC

10. Dennis Dixon, Oregon

Some people are high on Ryan, but I just don't see it. He is a 1st rounder, but he isn't really anything special. He doesn't throw a good deep ball, his arm is meh, and while he has good height, his frame isn't all that great, plus, he has some very questionable decision making. His only real plus tool is his "intangibles." Brohm, on the other hand, is this years best pure passer. He is very football savvy, and knows how to read defenses. Makes good decisions, and he has excellent pocket presence. His two biggest knocks might be his mobility and durability, but I still see him as a top 10 pick. He reminds me of the Manning brothers.

My QB rankings as of now is...

01. Brian Brohm, Louisville

02. Matt Ryan, BC

03. Joe Flacco, Delaware

04. Chad Henne, Michigan

05. Andre' Woodson, Kentucky

06. Josh Johnson, San Deigo

07. Erik Ainge, Tennessee

08. Colt Brennan, Hawaii

09. John David Booty, USC

10. Dennis Dixon, Oregon

Some people are high on Ryan, but I just don't see it. He is a 1st rounder, but he isn't really anything special. He doesn't throw a good deep ball, his arm is meh, and while he has good height, his frame isn't all that great, plus, he has some very questionable decision making. His only real plus tool is his "intangibles." Brohm, on the other hand, is this years best pure passer. He is very football savvy, and knows how to read defenses. Makes good decisions, and he has excellent pocket presence. His two biggest knocks might be his mobility and durability, but I still see him as a top 10 pick. He reminds me of the Manning brothers.

Not that I want him, but didn't they say almost the same thing about Brady coming out of Michigan?

Agreed on Brohm:

...Brohm, on the other hand, is this years best pure passer. He is very football savvy, and knows how to read defenses. Makes good decisions, and he has excellent pocket presence. His two biggest knocks might be his mobility and durability, but I still see him as a top 10 pick. He reminds me of the Manning brothers.

But, PLEASE NO First Round QB for da Bears!

Second Round:

Josh Johnson - San Diego or Chad Henne - Michigan or Joe Flacco - Delaware

Lastly, da Bears should take a flyer on Dennis Dixon - Oregon, if he is there in the fourth, and give him a red-shirt IR year.

I've heard really good things about Johnson. I'd love to know more if anyone has any info...

Agreed on Brohm:

But, PLEASE NO First Round QB for da Bears!

Second Round:

Josh Johnson - San Diego or Chad Henne - Michigan or Joe Flacco - Delaware

Lastly, da Bears should take a flyer on Dennis Dixon - Oregon, if he is there in the fourth, and give him a red-shirt IR year.

I've heard really good things about Johnson. I'd love to know more if anyone has any info...

Originally, I had thought Josh would be a great second day pick up (or the QB from ISU or NHU) until I saw him play in the Shrine Game.

Here is a link to a link for Josh's School Bio: 2008 East West Shrine Game Feedback

He had a most interesting mentor and his stats are quite impressive, even considering the level of competition.

During the Shrine Game, Josh was poised, moved well in the pocket, had excellent touch and pace on his passes, and when he did scramble...

...in summation...

homer_drool.gif