Mariotti finally says something I agree with

bradjock

Here's what he has to say about WSCR's Mike North (I'm really pissed about the fact I can't listen to the SCORE in the morning's because of the braying jackass.) From http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mariotti/78...i020908.article

Another problem is allowing sports hosts with low IQs to pontificate about social issues. For years, WSCR's Mike North has embarrassed his hometown by forcing his views on race, religion and current events when, in truth, he's just a goof who was pulled out of a hot-dog stand 15 years ago. North has a hard enough time putting together a sports argument, much less breaking down Hillary vs. Obama. But there he was, mimicking and mocking brain-damaged Terri Schiavo during her right-to-die drama. Sorry, but why is a sports host telling me about Terri Schiavo? And wouldn't I want to scream if I heard him ridiculing her, wondering how he might feel if she was one of his family members?

North is a crude, rude product of the streets who is stuck in the 1970s. He has used racial and ethnic slurs throughout his radio career, finding trouble as recently as last year. I used to cringe during his ``Hug a Jew/Black/Asian/Hispanic'' segments, blown away that he viewed himself as a comedian when no one was laughing. So why is North still on the air? Oh, because he successfully curried the favor of White Sox and Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, who sees himself as a similar rags-to-riches story and placed North in his trusted circle many years ago. As co-chairman of Major League Baseball's Equal Opportunity Committee, Reinsdorf helped formulate the successful Diverse Business Partners program. So why on earth would he befriend a person who could be viewed as insensitive to minorities? Shouldn't he detach himself from North to preserve his own public image?

Here's what he has to say about WSCR's Mike North (I'm really pissed about the fact I can't listen to the SCORE in the morning's because of the braying jackass.) From http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mariotti/78...i020908.article

Another problem is allowing sports hosts with low IQs to pontificate about social issues. For years, WSCR's Mike North has embarrassed his hometown by forcing his views on race, religion and current events when, in truth, he's just a goof who was pulled out of a hot-dog stand 15 years ago. North has a hard enough time putting together a sports argument, much less breaking down Hillary vs. Obama. But there he was, mimicking and mocking brain-damaged Terri Schiavo during her right-to-die drama. Sorry, but why is a sports host telling me about Terri Schiavo? And wouldn't I want to scream if I heard him ridiculing her, wondering how he might feel if she was one of his family members?

North is a crude, rude product of the streets who is stuck in the 1970s. He has used racial and ethnic slurs throughout his radio career, finding trouble as recently as last year. I used to cringe during his ``Hug a Jew/Black/Asian/Hispanic'' segments, blown away that he viewed himself as a comedian when no one was laughing. So why is North still on the air? Oh, because he successfully curried the favor of White Sox and Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, who sees himself as a similar rags-to-riches story and placed North in his trusted circle many years ago. As co-chairman of Major League Baseball's Equal Opportunity Committee, Reinsdorf helped formulate the successful Diverse Business Partners program. So why on earth would he befriend a person who could be viewed as insensitive to minorities? Shouldn't he detach himself from North to preserve his own public image?

I think this what I would call pot calling the kettle black. Mariotti is an ass and I stopped reading him yrs ago.

I agree that North is an idiot. I can only listen to him during Bears season and that is only because I am wanting to listen to Bears discussion.

Peace :bears

That is why you should listen to ESPN1000, not the Score. The Score is garbage...

I've listened to the SCORE from day 1 over 15 yrs ago. Hell, I remember when Buddy Ryan was the SCOREs football expert and he never watched any games. My listening habits have definately changed since then. I listen to both station off and on along with WLS. They both have there good and bad points - I simply change the channel when it gets out of hand.

I've listened to the SCORE from day 1 over 15 yrs ago. Hell, I remember when Buddy Ryan was the SCOREs football expert and he never watched any games. My listening habits have definately changed since then. I listen to both station off and on along with WLS. They both have there good and bad points - I simply change the channel when it gets out of hand.

I also have been a score head since day one. I remember when they shared a wave band with another station and you could only hear the score during the daytime. I was in heaven when they finally went 24/7.

Mike North has always been an idiot from day one. At first he was tolerable, IMO, and not nearly as radical and stupid as he is now. Over the years he has become more and more unbearable.

I still remember back in 2000. He was crazy over the reports of Sebastian Janikowski. He had him as a guest on the score and went around doing remotes with him at different polish deli locations.

When the draft came about that year he crucified the Bears GM, Coach, Ownership, etc... for not drafting Sebastian Janikowski #9 in the first round but instead drafting someone he described as an over hyped player without a legitimate position, guaranteed to be a wasted pick, when they could have drafted the player who would be an instant impact player for the team (Sebastian Janikowski).

Of course that wasted pick was Brian Urlacher.

I think that says it all about his football IQ.

A total clueless jerk.

My opportunities for listening are limited, but the best guys on the air for both stations are the youngsters: DeFalco, Silverman, and Holmes.

Mully and Handley do a good show, but Bernstein is as pompous a prick as Mariotti. He tries to be funny by high-browing everyone, and whenever someone calls him out, he talks over them until listeners turn the knob. Boers is hilarious, but the content of the show rarely holds my interest long enough to hear what he has to say...

I gave up on AM1000 when they split Carman and Silvy and put the triplet buddhas in the evening slot. But as far as Mariotti bashing the radios, the writers for the papers aren't exactly setting the tone. In such a great town full of activity, how can they not have something original to write?

I also have been a score head since day one. I remember when they shared a wave band with another station and you could only hear the score during the daytime. I was in heaven when they finally went 24/7.

Mike North has always been an idiot from day one. At first he was tolerable, IMO, and not nearly as radical and stupid as he is now. Over the years he has become more and more unbearable.

I still remember back in 2000. He was crazy over the reports of Sebastian Janikowski. He had him as a guest on the score and went around doing remotes with him at different polish deli locations.

When the draft came about that year he crucified the Bears GM, Coach, Ownership, etc... for not drafting Sebastian Janikowski #9 in the first round but instead drafting someone he described as an over hyped player without a legitimate position, guaranteed to be a wasted pick, when they could have drafted the player who would be an instant impact player for the team (Sebastian Janikowski).

Of course that wasted pick was Brian Urlacher.

I think that says it all about his football IQ.

A total clueless jerk.

Great memory Pix! I'd forgotten about all that. I too was happy as hell when I could pick them up full time (was 1020 the station they were on before?)

I'd forgotten about the Janikowski stuff also. That said part was that I actually BELIEVED North (In my defense, I was comparitely young & retarded. In addition, my Internet dial-up connection took about 15 minutes if at all back then, and I didn't have near the access to information. I'd have to go to the library if I wanted to read the Sun-Times or Tribune.)

Janikowski was going to "reolutionize the game," and the way North talked, the 50 yard line would be automatic field goal range.

The fact that I used to believe him is likely way I feel so much vile towards him today. (That and I can't stand anyone who laughs for 5 minutes at their own stupid jokes.)

I think this what I would call pot calling the kettle black. Mariotti is an ass and I stopped reading him yrs ago.

I agree that North is an idiot. I can only listen to him during Bears season and that is only because I am wanting to listen to Bears discussion.

Agreed. Most days I completely ignore Mariotti's articles.