How will we use our cap space

nfoligno

I started to talk about this in another thread, but felt it might be an interesting topic to start new.

We have something like $30m in cap space. I think we can all agree we are not going to spend $80m in cash, or whatever, to sign 4 or 5 big names, including our own. So the question is, how will we use up all that space. Signing a bunch of mid tier FAs will not use up the space.

W/ that in mind, I am wondering if we will see some big roster bonuses this year, as opposed to using just signing bonuses. By doing this, we would still use up the cap space this year, while at the same time, improving our situation in the future.

Harris would be a prime candidate. I still feel he has to come down off his declaration to be the highest paid defensive player (see Freeny's deal). So what if he will take say $25m in bonus money, w/ about $10m in roster bonus against this year, and the other $15m in SB. We would still have $20m or so in cap, while lessening the cap hit for Harris in future years.

I think this is exactly what we did w/ Tait. We ate a big bulk of his bonus up front, lessening his future cap hits.

Again, I simply do not see us shelling out $80m in cash, so why not allocate more of what we do spend against this years cap in order to free up more future cap space.

I started to talk about this in another thread, but felt it might be an interesting topic to start new.

We have something like $30m in cap space. I think we can all agree we are not going to spend $80m in cash, or whatever, to sign 4 or 5 big names, including our own. So the question is, how will we use up all that space. Signing a bunch of mid tier FAs will not use up the space.

W/ that in mind, I am wondering if we will see some big roster bonuses this year, as opposed to using just signing bonuses. By doing this, we would still use up the cap space this year, while at the same time, improving our situation in the future.

Harris would be a prime candidate. I still feel he has to come down off his declaration to be the highest paid defensive player (see Freeny's deal). So what if he will take say $25m in bonus money, w/ about $10m in roster bonus against this year, and the other $15m in SB. We would still have $20m or so in cap, while lessening the cap hit for Harris in future years.

I think this is exactly what we did w/ Tait. We ate a big bulk of his bonus up front, lessening his future cap hits.

Again, I simply do not see us shelling out $80m in cash, so why not allocate more of what we do spend against this years cap in order to free up more future cap space.

nfo, I agree. In addition to Harris, I can see the Bears doing that with Berrian and Briggs offers as well. If they miss on those deals, then I see them moving to FA deals.

Either way, this offseason will be very interesting. The good thing is with the Bears current core, they can easily get back into contention with a few impact acquisitions.

In addition to Harris, I can see the Bears doing that with Berrian and Briggs offers as well.

I can see us doing it w/ one or two big signings, but IMHO, there is simply zero chance we retain both Berrian and Briggs, while also re-signing Harris. It is a cash issue. You are talking about shelling out $60m or more in cash. You really think the McCaskey's are going to open up the purse to that extent at once. Not only that, but you are not even improving the team. All you are doing to cash strapping the org in order to maintain the status quo.

What I would like to see, or can see, is re-sign Harris and then get Faneca. Everyone is concerned about Faneca, but if we front load the deal, we protect ourselves down the road if age creeps in.