Grossman deal to be done

Ed Hochuli 3:16

That is EXACTLY one of my main concerns. I thought it was crap every time they gave Grossman the job before camp, and if they do again, particularly now, it is a HUGE mistake IMO. Either Griese or Orton could start IMO, and I think they should be given a chance to do so.

If Grossman cannot be consistent and show improvement, he needs to be benched. Quickly.

It is tough for me to say whether we should look for another QB. With the pressure on the QB due to the OL poor performance last year, maybe any QB would have struggled.....I just am not sure though........

The key to your post is the "O" in IMO.

The key to your post is the "O" in IMO.

The Sun Times is reporting "Grossman Nears New Deal." (Probably most other sources also. this is just the first one I've checked since I've been on the computer this morning). Why does this possible deal make me kind of happy and kind of sick to my stomach at the same time? Here's the Chicago Sun Times story.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...-bear23.article

Grossman nears new deal

BEARS | 1-2 years, incentives likely in contract for QB

February 23, 2008

BY BRAD BIGGS bbiggs@suntimes.com

INDIANAPOLIS -- The first piece of the Bears' free-agent puzzle should be delivered soon as a contract for Rex Grossman is imminent.

The team is expected to reach an agreement to retain the quarterback, perhaps today, after negotiations on a new deal carried late into the evening Friday.

» Click to enlarge image

Quarterback Rex Grossman is expected to compete for the Bears’ starting job once again.

(Tom Cruze/Sun-Times file)

RELATED STORIES

Bears in Brief: Agent vows close contact over free agents plus Harris

Inside the Bears: Updates from our blog

General manager Jerry Angelo met with agent Eugene Parker in the morning and they huddled again throughout the evening working on details of a contract that would bring the first-round pick from 2003 back for what has been said will be a quarterback competition involving Kyle Orton. A source said it will be a one- or two-year deal and includes incentives based on playing time and performance. Re-signing Grossman was one of the organization's top goals when it arrived at the combine Wednesday.

Grossman, who helped the team to Super Bowl XLI the season before, was erratic in the first three games of 2007 before being benched. He was reinserted at Oakland Nov. 11, replacing Brian Griese, and was more consistent before being lost to a minor knee sprain Dec. 6 at Washington. Returning to the Bears provides Grossman with his best opportunity to play in 2008 despite the turbulent experiences and intense scrutiny he has faced. He's said he wants to return.

''It is a body of work,'' coach Lovie Smith said. ''There have been some highs and some lows, but we think Rex is a good football player and I choose to remember more of those highs. I still don't think he's peaked yet. I still think his future is bright.''

But Grossman, who earned $2.035 million last season, will not be handed the starting job. Orton played well enough in three starts to end the season to prove a viable option, one who is not mistake-prone and might be a good fit for the team, especially if the defense and running game return to form. The Bears have done all they can to avoid quarterback competitions in training camp since 2001 when Jim Miller edged Shane Matthews and Cade McNown was never really in the race. But the franchise has not been able to escape the everlasting turnover that seems to come with the position. In Angelo's seven seasons, the team has changed starting quarterbacks 23 times.

''This is a little bit different,'' Angelo said when asked about competition. ''I don't want to say it's tricky, but you're going to have to have a real plan in place to be fair with everybody and to make sure that you're making the right decision because once we make that decision, we're going to go forward with it and we're going to stay with it.

''[Grossman] understands it. He's talked to Lovie about it. I've talked to his agent about it. He's fine with it. Obviously we want to get the best player under center. Kyle did some good things at the end. I think he deserves the right to compete at the position. I know that this isn't going to be something ... I don't see this dragging out into the season. We will have a pretty good feel as we already do about the guys and what the tiebreaker is, that obviously has to be determined by the coaches."

Griese is expected to be released if Grossman returns. He's due a $300,000 roster bonus early next month. But the competition won't begin until Grossman signs the deal.

Beat me to it Bradjock. Get Rex signed, open up a real competition at QB, release Griese and draft a QB after rd. 1. Now let's go after some Ol in FA.

Technically Connor beat me to it. Although I'd still a little pissed that ESPN, or any other web site other then the Sun Times (including the Tribune) has no mention of it. There's nothing on ESPN's rumor-mill or on John Clayton's blog.

So are you happy about this Chile? Just wondering because I have some seriously mixed feelings.

Point made. And I do question the calibur of competition of those 4 games...but those 4 games were certainly far better than his first 4. Part of my whole issue with him is the rampant inconsistency. He's jeckyl & hyde. i like the jeckyl, but fear when Hyde will rear his ugly face again.

In his last 4 games when he regained the starting position, he had 3 TDs and 1 Int. He threw for over 250 yards in 2 of those games. He was also sacked 16 TIMES. So despite pressure, which was always his kryptonite, Rex made plays and took care of the football for 4 straight games before his season ended. It's a small sample size, but it didn't look like a fluke to me personally. He was determined to not lose the ball.

Absolutely understand what you are saying.

On one hand, I really want to just move on. Make a clean break, and just begin a new process.

On the other hand, this is simply a ugly year for a team looking to improve at QB. I am not sure there is a veteran out there any better than Rex or Griese, and while I am not putting Orton in there, he deserves a shot himself.

Rex is like being in a bad marriage. You have so much invested in the woman, both in time and feelings, that the idea of divorce makes you sick. On the other hand, there is also the feeling the marriage will not last, and at some point you are going to have to move on. Why prolong it? Just file the papers and begin the process of looking again.

FYI, above isn't my experience, but my brother in law is working on his 3rd.