Berrian eyes more than Bears have offered

Da Bears 88

Here's the bottom line for the Bears' attempt to re-sign wide receiver Bernard Berrian: Their most recent offer -- $8 million in bonus money in a five-year, $25 million package -- wasn't enough to get a deal done.

Free agency begins at 11 tonight, and Berrian is seeking a payday well in excess of that -- $24.5 million in the first three years of a contract -- though general manager Jerry Angelo last week called the Bears' offers to Berrian and linebacker Lance Briggs ''aggressive.''

Link

If we lose Berrian, our 2008 season is going to be loooong one.

I don't agree with the idea that losing Berrian will equal a long season at all, he is definitely expendable. If we lose him, someone like Booker will pick up most of the slack, and if Hester and/or Hester or one of the other young receivers like Haas come through we will be fine....as long as we pick up a decent FA receiver.

I don't agree with the idea that losing Berrian will equal a long season at all, he is definitely expendable. If we lose him, someone like Booker will pick up most of the slack, and if Hester and/or Hester or one of the other young receivers like Haas come through we will be fine....as long as we pick up a decent FA receiver.

I agree with you, if we lose Berrian in no way is the season a complete loss....He is a good player but not someone you rely on to win the games week in and week out....if our O-Line can be a force we will be just fine....

The Bears extended tenders to restricted free agents Rashied Davis, a receiver, and Brandon McGowan, a safety.

Davis, who got the low tender, lost his slot role to Devin Hester last year and dropped to 17 catches, but may see a bump in playing time with rebuilding at wideout. McGowan is a core special teamer. His tag was undisclosed.

Source: Chicago Sun Times

Related: Brandon McGowan

Bernard Berrian-WR- Bears Feb. 28 - 1:10 am et

The Bears' latest offer to impending free agent Bernard Berrian was reportedly for five years, $25 million with $8 million in bonuses.

If they don't step up soon, the Bears are going to lose their best receiver. Berrian wants $24.5 million in the first three years. The Vikings, Bucs, 49ers, Raiders, and Browns are all have the cap room to meet that demand.

Source: Chicago Sun Times

I agree with you, if we lose Berrian in no way is the season a complete loss....He is a good player but not someone you rely on to win the games week in and week out....if our O-Line can be a force we will be just fine....

Berrian is not the end of the season. I was thinking that maybe we could have an offense like the old KC with Tony Gonzalez and Priest Holmes ripping it up and with average WR's I thinkthey were Kennison and Duante Hall. We pretty much have the best TE tandem in the NFL with Clark and Olsen but some moves need to be made like instead of getting Faneca we sign Flozell Adams and draft a T or G early (Brandon Albert). Draft with the number 1 pick Rashard Mendenhall and with Hester not getting kicked the ball at all this year we should put up alot of points.

Berrian is not the end of the season. I was thinking that maybe we could have an offense like the old KC with Tony Gonzalez and Priest Holmes ripping it up and with average WR's I thinkthey were Kennison and Duante Hall. We pretty much have the best TE tandem in the NFL with Clark and Olsen but some moves need to be made like instead of getting Faneca we sign Flozell Adams and draft a T or G early (Brandon Albert). Draft with the number 1 pick Rashard Mendenhall and with Hester not getting kicked the ball at all this year we should put up alot of points.

I think you are on to something here, we could also maybe sign one of the mid-tier free agent WR's and even go after a guy like Jacob Bell at guard and draft Baker in the 2nd round. Either way Berrian is not the end of the world. He is a solid receiver, but he is not worth top-ten money as he hasn't event eclipsed the 1,000 yard mark for a season.

I can't believe I keep reading Marty Booker's name as if adding him to our team would be a positive. Dude is old, slow, and on his downslide. BB is young, fast, and on his upswing. I don't care about all the hate have for BB for whatever reasons, he runs all the routes you ask him to, even over the middle, and makes big plays. Sure he got lackadaisical(or I guess you could say gave up)on a handful of routes last year, and dropped some big passes, but the guy is good, and having him on our team only makes us better, and losing him only makes us worse. That's really all it comes down to for me.

I can't believe I keep reading Marty Booker's name as if adding him to our team would be a positive. Dude is old, slow, and on his downslide. BB is young, fast, and on his upswing. I don't care about all the hate have for BB for whatever reasons, he runs all the routes you ask him to, even over the middle, and makes big plays. Sure he got lackadaisical(or I guess you could say gave up)on a handful of routes last year, and dropped some big passes, but the guy is good, and having him on our team only makes us better, and losing him only makes us worse. That's really all it comes down to for me.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I would rather have him than not....I just don't know if he is worth superstar money. That will be up to the bean counters to decide. All that I am saying is that if he goes, it is not a season ending loss. I would honestly rather have him stay....

You only gave two options; keeping him or losing him. It's the third option: replacing him in a more cost effective manner that might make us a better team overall as it would not only replace most of his production but allow us to sign another player that would also improve the offense. If the money gets ridiculous I think there's enough options in FA at WR and in the draft to solve this problem.

Anybody that thinks that paying Berrian that kind of money a good idea is out of their mind. I would rather have Stallworth for that kind of money.

I judge a truly great player by their "Wow" moments. Both times we played the Giants the past two years Berrian has made a spectacular catch that made me say "Wow." He's proven he genuinely does have that big play ability.

Berrian with that "Wow" catch versus New Orleans in the NFC championship game. Unbelievable.

Heck, his rookie year versus Detroit when the official announced, "The ball moved when he hit the ground" and he was in the damn end-zone!!! That was a "Wow" moment.

Yes I'm pissed Berrian dropped the ball versus Dallas this year. But don't discount what Berrian has done or how easily he can be replaced. We signed Moose to a huge deal and the only wow moment I remember is, "I can't believe he dropped it." That's in three years!!!

Briggs has never given me a "Wow" moment. Urlacher has. That's why I'd much rather lose Briggs then Berrian.

I judge a truly great player by their "Wow" moments. Both times we played the Giants the past two years Berrian has made a spectacular catch that made me say "Wow." He's proven he genuinely does have that big play ability.

Berrian with that "Wow" catch versus New Orleans in the NFC championship game. Unbelievable.

Heck, his rookie year versus Detroit when the official announced, "The ball moved when he hit the ground" and he was in the damn end-zone!!! That was a "Wow" moment.

Yes I'm pissed Berrian dropped the ball versus Dallas this year. But don't discount what Berrian has done or how easily he can be replaced. We signed Moose to a huge deal and the only wow moment I remember is, "I can't believe he dropped it." That's in three years!!!

Briggs has never given me a "Wow" moment. Urlacher has. That's why I'd much rather lose Briggs then Berrian.

Briggs hasn't given you a "wow" moment? :lol:

I forgot Berrian is Jerry Rice. Pardon me.

Anybody that thinks that paying Berrian that kind of money a good idea is out of their mind. I would rather have Stallworth for that kind of money.

Are you stupid or just hate Berrian for some reason?

No doubt that is a ton of doe, that I likely wouldn't give Berrian, but if I had to choice to give that type of money to, Berrian or Stallworth, it would be Berrian everyday of the week. You'd have to be insanely stupid to think Stallworth is as good as Berrian. There's a reason why Stallworth is going to be with his 4th team in as many years.