Donte' Stallworth signs with Browns

Da Bears 88

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the Browns have reached agreement with Donte' Stallworth.

Terms aren't known yet, but it's a great fit for both sides. Cleveland gets depth and speed at wideout, while Stallworth fits best as a supporting player. He'll make the Browns tough to defend lining up with Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow, and Joe Jurevicius. His fantasy numbers should uptick from his Pats days because he'll see the field more, but don't expect his first 1,000-yard season.

Link

Cross another WR off the list. :fight

Ok, even I'll grant, if that's the contract, it's really, really sad that the Bears didn't make him a better offer. And that's coming from one of those people who thinks the FA period hurts more teams than it helps.

We either thought he isn't better than Rashied Davis or he didn't want to come here because that is peanuts...

We either thought he isn't better than Rashied Davis or he didn't want to come here because that is peanuts...

Maybe we felt he doesn't bring to the table what we need. Too me he is the same type of receiver Hester is - speed. Why bring him in if he doesn't bring anything to the team. We really need a big possession receiver. This is either Booker (older model) or Johnson (younger model).

Peace :bears

Maybe we felt he doesn't bring to the table what we need. Too me he is the same type of receiver Hester is - speed. Why bring him in if he doesn't bring anything to the team. We really need a big possession receiver. This is either Booker (older model) or Johnson (younger model).

We resigned Rex Grossman. Therefore, it's not a bad thing to have too many speed guys. Because the more guys we can send down the field, the more we play to Rex's strength. A possession, underneath guy would be useful, but we shouldn't go for that at the expense of additional speed guys.

I agree. Weve had the burners here for a while but havent had the sure handed, larger possession receiver like we thought we were getting when we signed Moose. Adding a guy like that will make Hester and even Bradley more viable deep threats.

I agree. Weve had the burners here for a while but havent had the sure handed, larger possession receiver like we thought we were getting when we signed Moose. Adding a guy like that will make Hester and even Bradley more viable deep threats.

Here's hoping we use Clark and Olsen for that big possession guy.

Exactly. Bradley is a burner as well. We need someone we can count on to move the chains.

3 yrs 10 million.

More on stallworth's deal from PFT:

POSTED 7:11 p.m. EST, March 1, 2008

MORE ON STALLWORTH DEAL

We've gotten some more information about the contract signed between the Cleveland Browns and receiver Donte' Stallworth.

The $10 million in guaranteed payments are part of a five-year, $35 million deal.

It's not bad at all for a guy who couldn't parlay a strong 2006 season in Philly into a big-money deal last year in free agency. Instead, he got only (only?) $1 million in guaranteed money last year as part of a deal one-year "prove it" deal with the Pats.

Stallworth likely will be the starting receiver across from Braylon Edwards, with Joe Jurevicius relegated to second string.

Meanwhile, we need to echo MDS's comments regarding the absence of a first-round, second-round, or third-round pick this year in Cleveland. As a good friend of the site has previously explained to us in connection with the struggles of the Dolphins, the absence of multiple draft picks eventually could rob a team of its nucleus.

The Browns likely will overcome a single season without draft picks in the first three rounds. However, we're hoping that they don't make a habit of it.

That is a lot for a guy who has never broken out...