Anyone think?

DrunkBomber

I think for the money Turner could potentially command, it's a huge risk. But I definitely think something needs to be done. If we expect to accomplish anything next season, we need to fix the running game. It's now a need more then ever after Berrian signed in Minny.

A bad offensive line would make the best running back in the league look horrid.

Conversely, a solid O-Line can easily make a poor to average back look solid or better.

You can not fix the running game without fixing the O-Line first. I don't know if Benson is part of the problem or not, but I know for a fact that even if he was a great back, he wouldn't look like it behind an O-Line performing as poorly as the Bears' last season.

Guest TerraTor

I honestly think we will be targeting Mendenhall in the draft. I think later round OL and also free agent OL will be much more valueable to us for fixing our Line. Plus, i still say we need a franchise back especially since our recieving corps is on the line of being the worst in the NFL

I honestly think we will be targeting Mendenhall in the draft. I think later round OL and also free agent OL will be much more valueable to us for fixing our Line. Plus, i still say we need a franchise back especially since our recieving corps is on the line of being the worst in the NFL

If we make a decent FA OL signing it will be very interesting to see what we do with our 4 picks on day 1.

I'm all for bringing in a new RB but if that guy is Julius Jones we might as well stick with what we have. He averaged 3.6 ypc las year behind an infinitely better offense than ours. If we wanted a crappy RB that can't hit the hole, make anyone miss, break a tackle or bust off a big run we could just stick with Benson or AP.

Just because his brother did well here don't be fooled into thinking he will also.

I'm all for bringing in a new RB but if that guy is Julius Jones we might as well stick with what we have. He averaged 3.6 ypc las year behind an infinitely better offense than ours. If we wanted a crappy RB that can't hit the hole, make anyone miss, break a tackle or bust off a big run we could just stick with Benson or AP.

Just because his brother did well here don't be fooled into thinking he will also.

I'm honestly not in favor of Julius because of who his brother is, but simply because he's widely reguarded as the #2 unrestricted FA running-back. Now that Berrian has left, it makes having a RB who can catch the ball even more critical. Julius isn't great at this, but Cedric is horrible.

I'd rather have Turner, but if we signed Jones, he immediately becomes--by far, the best RB on the team.

I was not high on signing him early on, but most reports have the market for him far less than expected. While the WRs are getting sick money, it doensn't appear to be the case w/ RBs. I think the solid crop of RBs in the draft has really dropped the FAs value down. Also, w/ JJ, I think many view him as an average starter best in a 1-2 punch system, like in Dallas. So I do not think he is going to get the money he seeks, and thus I would be interested.

Frankly, he is very much what I would like to look at. While he is a fairly proven FA, yet at the same time, not such a stud that if Benson does step up, create an issue in PT. I like that he is an ideal backup if Benson does step in, in that he seems to play best when working from the #2 RB role in a 1-2 punch. Finally, if Benson does not step up, JJ is a solid starter, and actually seems like he would be a good fit in our system.

While I honestly do like the idea signing JJ if the price is right, the only concern I have is the great crop of RBs in the draft. W/ AP and Wolfe on the team now, does anyone believe we would draft a RB if we signed JJ? So signing JJ takes guys like Mendenhall, Stewart, Charles and the rest off the board. That could sting, and is frankly, why I think the RBs have not found the deals as quickly as they would like.

If I were the agent of these RBs, I would tell them to sit tight until after the draft. Then, teams like us who do not draft a RB could be far more prepared to spend more coin.

Tough question. This one year I wish we had just one more 1st or 2nd rounder. I would love to have an OT, Mendenhall and Henne/Flacco. For now, I say draft OT 1st, QB 2nd and sign a cheaper RB than Turner. We really need to fix the OL before anything. Signing a cheaper RB will leave extra money for a decent FA guard.