49ers tampering case hearing

adam

So it looks like the Bears may be compensated:

It is also possible they will receive a draft pick from the 49ers if NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell rules the 49ers tampered with linebacker Lance Briggs when Briggs was under contract to the Bears last fall.

Has that ever happeend? NE was caught cheating against NYJ, and they simply had to give up a pick. That I can think of, teams have had to give up their pick, but I can not recall a team ever getting another teams pick.

Back in 1970 when the Miami Dolphins hired don Shula away from the Baltimore Colts, the Colts accussed the Dolphins of tampering to lure Shula away and the NFL agreed and forced the Dolphins to give the Colts their 1st round draft selection.

I am sure there must be some other examples out there but that is the only one that comes to my mind as I lived just a little under a 100 miles from Baltimore back then.

I posted on another board that I thought this was more about putting Rosenhaus in his place. To me, it's odd that NOBODY bit on Briggs, who was suposedly the TOP FA available yet after that Bears sign him for 36M with 13M guaranteed, a guy like Pace comes along and gets 42M with 22M guaranteed? Now, call me a conspiracist if you want but I believe alot of people from the NFL were pissed at Rosenhaus for parading Briggs around at the Owners meetings last year and maybe, just maybe they decided to teach Rosenhaus a lesson. What better way to do that than give a guy like Briggs much less than he expected.

As far as SF goes, maybe they also got wind that Rosenhaus was doing things in his dealings with SF that he shouldn't. Hey, I don't care what happens, but even if this is more about SF trying to work something out behind our backs or not being forthright in their dealings with us, if we get some kinda compensation pick, Im good. I do like the conspiracy theories though. They're alot more fun.

Isnt this a form of collusion?

A difference I would point out is, Miami got Shula. SF did not take anything from us, and only broke the rules.

The problem with what they did could have potentially made it impossible or way more expensive for us to retain Briggs. All turned out well, but the intent was still there.

I get that. Yet at the same time, when the harm is not truly realized, the punishment is nearly always less, regardless of the rule of law.

Hey, I would love it if SF was forced to give us a pick. I simply do not see that happening, and at worst, see SF simply losing (ala NE) a late pick. I still simply do not care for this whole ordeal. I simply find it hard to believe we do not, in any way, tamper. I find it hard to believe we never speak w/ a players agent at the combine, before we are allowed to. Or that we allow talks to be floated through channels before the start of FA. So w/ that assumption, it seems pretty hypocritical to be calling out SF like this.

I get that. Yet at the same time, when the harm is not truly realized, the punishment is nearly always less, regardless of the rule of law.

Hey, I would love it if SF was forced to give us a pick. I simply do not see that happening, and at worst, see SF simply losing (ala NE) a late pick.

I still simply do not care for this whole ordeal. I simply find it hard to believe we do not, in any way, tamper. I find it hard to believe we never speak w/ a players agent at the combine, before we are allowed to. Or that we allow talks to be floated through channels before the start of FA. So w/ that assumption, it seems pretty hypocritical to be calling out SF like this.

Speaking to this point. I agree, like Spygate, that all teams are probably guilty of something. As an example, take this case to a public court of law to be tried as a crime. Someone has to pay. I'm sure a lot of people think it's no big deal if they smoke a little weed, or drive a little over the speed limit or under aged kids go parking to have a little fun. They aren't hurting anyone and everyone does it. But again, someone has to pay. The NFL and other professional leagues must advertise this and make a solid common practice of it to maintain purity and order.

Story

The San Francisco 49ers forfeited their fifth-round pick in next month’s NFL draft after commissioner Roger Goodell said they tampered with Chicago linebacker Lance Briggs.

In a statement released by the league Monday, Goodell also said the teams will switch picks in the third round of the April 26-27 draft. Chicago, which had the 12th pick, will get San Francisco’s seventh pick and the 49ers will get Chicago’s choice.

I think the problem is far reaching...and they wanted a wrist slap and nothing more.

But, I'll be happy to move up in the 3rd! It's almost a virtual late 2nd... I really didn't think we'd get anything out of it.

Hey, it beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. I'll take it. Goodell is really a pussy though. 5th round forfeit? That'll teach em. What's the old saying, when you give somebody nothing, give em plenty of it.