THIS is why the Bears MUST DRAFT OL

jason

Prophet, I think you pretty much summed up what I was going to say...

nfo, I loved the questions! Very valid concerns! And I'm still not sure they are truly addressable.

For me, besides what prophet already mentioned, the Rose Bowl game seemed very telling. In the biggest game of the young man's life, he prefomed brilliantly. He showed power, speed, and field intelligence. He did so with a top notch D knowing the team was going to run (either with the QB or RB...) And the USC defense is probably most like an NFL one if such a comparison can be made.

Big players play big in big games...Mendenhall seems to be that.

nfo, I added my responses in blue. You bring up some completely legitimate concerns. I would take Mendenhall, but only if the OL come off the board too quick and there is only a reach at 14 with Mendenhall available.

I have to agree with the sentiment that if the best O-Linemen are gone before we have our pick and Mendenhall is available, that we have no choice to take the best player available. I agree with the answer to the questions and the performance that Mendy had in the Rose Bowl game. The entire Illini team took one helluva a beating against arguably an NFL style college team. With drafting Mendy I would imagine that Wolfe or even possibly Benson would be cut or traded. I think CB is proving to be fragile and not a decent third down option like AP already is. I would take Mendy in a heart beat because he definitely appears to be more of what we need than CB will ever amount to.

In 2006 and 2005, Mendenhall split carries with Pierre Thomas who was the starter. Also remember that Illinois only won 4 games in those 2 seasons, so Mendy did not get as many opportunities as he should have (playing from behind). In 2006, he had 8.2 YPC on 78 attempts. Once he was the main guy (2007), he truly shined.

Okay, I have to ask. Why do you think he wasn't the starter in 2006? Thomas didn't appear to be anything close to a stud. Was it poor coaching? Was Mendy simply not "there" yet in development? I don't really follow Illinois, so I don't know. Its one thing when you are talking about a back held back by a stud. Miami had several RBs of late that went through this. Felix Jones was considered great, but behind this years likely top 5 pick. Ronnie Brown/Cadillac. I understand those situations, but not being able to beat out Thomas?

That is a great point. I am sure some of his yards were generated by the style of offense and ability of the QB. However, Illinois had a limited passing game, so teams stacked the box with 9 and 10 defenders to stop Juice and Mendy from running. So in this case it might have worked against Mendenhall.

I have no doubt Illinois faced stacked boxes. But while that would seem to be a negative (to deal w/) at the same time, in the NFL I see it is different. When teams have a running QB, regardless of stacked boxes, it appears to help the RB a great deal. Despite playing in the box, defenses can not be as aggressive due to concern of the QB running the ball. Often, a defense will have to use one of its best players as a spy, rather than as a playmaker, as we often did w/ Urlacher on Vick. When a team faced Atlanta, there was minimal fear of him beating you w/ the pass, and yet Atlanta was able to run like a major college team against a DII college. W/ Vick at QB, Dunn and Norwood looked great, and that says a lot.

I just wonder what happens when he has to play in a more traditional offense, w/ a QB far more likely to play in the box.

The O-Line was definitely improved in 2007. They had 2 players make the All-Conference teams. He definitely had both types of opportunities. One key stat here, he had at least a 10 yard run in every game in 2007 with his shortest long run being 13 yards. He also had several carries of 20 yards or longer, which indicates that he has the ability to get into the secondary.

Thanks for the info on their OL. I have no doubt Mendy can get it done, and his stats prove he can get into the 2nd tier and make something happen from there. But my issue is, how will that translate. In the NFL, you simply do not see OL flat out dominate as much as you might in college. Holes are simply not as great. That is great he can be so productive in the second level, but my concern is his getting there. Benson was actually able to make some very nice runs in the 2nd level, but the issue is getting to that second level, especially in our offense.

I have seen Mendy referred to as a top 10 pick, elite RB. To me, that is the likes of LT, who can make something happen out of nothing. Someone who faces stacked boxes, and minimal holes (if any) and still finds a way. Is Mendy that sort of player, or is he one that is ultra productive behind a great OL, and a far greater question w/o one. If we draft him, I think we have to accept our OL will be mediocre AT BEST. if we have nothing more than a mediocre OL, I simply ask how good Mendy will be.

He had 17-155-1, 9.1 YPC, and 5 rec for 59 yards vs USC in the Rose Bowl, but you are right, the competition wasn't the best. However, other solid Big Ten backs struggled against Ohio St (Mike Hart 18-44-0, 2.4). Also, in that same game vs Ohio St, Wells from Ohio St only ran for 20-76 against Ill. So it is hard to pick and choose specific games.

That USC game was a statement game. Your right. I always think of USC as having a NFL like offense, but they had a solid defense as well, and Mendy did very well against them. As for that USC game, did you watch it? I didn't. I know it was a blowout. I know about 80 yards of Mendy's numbers came on one run, in the 2nd half when USC was already up 3 scores. Was USC is anything akin to a prevent? How much of Mendy's numbers came when the game was decided? I ask because I wonder, if he was running so well, why it was a blowout? I may be 100% off base here. Like I said, I just do not know.

As for the other RBs that didn't do well against Ohio State, are any of them considered top 10 (or close) RBs, and are we talking about taking any of them in the 1st? The point is, for me, when a team faces a lot of weaker competition, it says a lot about how he does when he faces a more legit test, and he didn't seem to do very well in that test.

Look, I am not trying to take away from Mendy. I am trying to better understand him. He is talked about like he would be a steal at 14 on this board, and if you go off the talk, it sounds like he is a sure thing stud. I guess one of the biggest hang ups I have is this. I assume much of this board at least watches a lot of Illinois games, and many may even be fans. How much of the Mendy hype is due to that? If Mendy put up the same numbers, but for a different school (Michigan, Texas, Texas A&M, Florida) or where ever, I wonder if the calls to draft him would be equal. Stewart was considered a value (prior to surgury) around our pick, but I do not recall anyone that wanted him. If Mendy played for Oregon, would the calls to draft him be equal.

I get caught up in the same thing here. I watch a lot of Texas games, and that familiarity tends to create bias, as it did w/ me w/ Benson. It is also one reason why I am trying to avoid getting too caught up in Jamal Charles.

If Mendenhall played at Oregon, would fans be talking about inferior competition and only one year of production, or would the screams to draft him be the same?

In all honesty, I really can't answer a lot of your questions. In a nutshell, I really just don't know. My dad went to Illinois, so I find myself following them a bit more than one normally would. Also, given how well they did last year, they got a lot of national exposure. It just seemed that every game I watched...Mendenhall looked really good. In allhonesty, he was really off my radar. I was looking at other backs,etc... Only until the end of the season did I start paying attention to him as a real NFL prospect. He really kind of snuck up on me. He's not flashy, just solid.

Grnated the USC game was a blowout at the end, but much of what Mendenhall did was keep Illinois in a range to tie it up had their D not fallen apart...and the QB play was non-existant. A good chunk of yardage was on one play, but he also busted a few long runs besides that one too. And he played with heart...when the rest of that team seemed to be lying down. To me, that speaks volumes.

I guess, like all the prognosticators...it boils down to a bit of a gut feeling. My gut is telling me to eat...ooops...I mean that Mendenhall is the real thing.

1. I'm not sure why he wasn't a starter? Could it be Lovie was making the personall decisions after meals at Gibson's? A lot of times, it's just odd seniority or what not.

2. I too wonder what he'd be like ina more traditional scheme. But I think he'll strive. It's really tough to judger college talent...I really would have thought Benson would be better. But I just feel his heart's not in it. Once he's free of the 1st wave, he's then in his comfort zone. I think Mendenhall would try harder personally to get to the 2nd wave(DB's).

3. If we have a mediocr line, everything will hurt on offense. We need to get better. But signing a 1st rounder OL doesn't solve the immediate problem either. It's not usually a plug n play position. RB has a greater chance of that. I really don't think Illinois' line was that great. I thihk he made a lot happen without them. But, I guess you just don't know until the guys suits up in the NFL.

I agree with you that we all have our leanings...if you follow a team or are near a team, you tend to lean in that direction. I'm sure my being in LA makes me look at his performance agasint USC as better than someone living in Michigan or such given how much USC is in your face here. Also, given my father's almas matter, and that he's in a college that is woven with the Bears if only in color scheme...or other players like Butkus, it has bias I'm sure.

I do just see a kid with a ton of talent, physical skills, and a big heart. I like that.

Okay, I have to ask. Why do you think he wasn't the starter in 2006? Thomas didn't appear to be anything close to a stud. Was it poor coaching? Was Mendy simply not "there" yet in development? I don't really follow Illinois, so I don't know. Its one thing when you are talking about a back held back by a stud. Miami had several RBs of late that went through this. Felix Jones was considered great, but behind this years likely top 5 pick. Ronnie Brown/Cadillac. I understand those situations, but not being able to beat out Thomas?

I have no doubt Illinois faced stacked boxes. But while that would seem to be a negative (to deal w/) at the same time, in the NFL I see it is different. When teams have a running QB, regardless of stacked boxes, it appears to help the RB a great deal. Despite playing in the box, defenses can not be as aggressive due to concern of the QB running the ball. Often, a defense will have to use one of its best players as a spy, rather than as a playmaker, as we often did w/ Urlacher on Vick. When a team faced Atlanta, there was minimal fear of him beating you w/ the pass, and yet Atlanta was able to run like a major college team against a DII college. W/ Vick at QB, Dunn and Norwood looked great, and that says a lot.

I just wonder what happens when he has to play in a more traditional offense, w/ a QB far more likely to play in the box.

Thanks for the info on their OL. I have no doubt Mendy can get it done, and his stats prove he can get into the 2nd tier and make something happen from there. But my issue is, how will that translate. In the NFL, you simply do not see OL flat out dominate as much as you might in college. Holes are simply not as great. That is great he can be so productive in the second level, but my concern is his getting there. Benson was actually able to make some very nice runs in the 2nd level, but the issue is getting to that second level, especially in our offense.

I have seen Mendy referred to as a top 10 pick, elite RB. To me, that is the likes of LT, who can make something happen out of nothing. Someone who faces stacked boxes, and minimal holes (if any) and still finds a way. Is Mendy that sort of player, or is he one that is ultra productive behind a great OL, and a far greater question w/o one. If we draft him, I think we have to accept our OL will be mediocre AT BEST. if we have nothing more than a mediocre OL, I simply ask how good Mendy will be.

That USC game was a statement game. Your right. I always think of USC as having a NFL like offense, but they had a solid defense as well, and Mendy did very well against them. As for that USC game, did you watch it? I didn't. I know it was a blowout. I know about 80 yards of Mendy's numbers came on one run, in the 2nd half when USC was already up 3 scores. Was USC is anything akin to a prevent? How much of Mendy's numbers came when the game was decided? I ask because I wonder, if he was running so well, why it was a blowout? I may be 100% off base here. Like I said, I just do not know.

As for the other RBs that didn't do well against Ohio State, are any of them considered top 10 (or close) RBs, and are we talking about taking any of them in the 1st? The point is, for me, when a team faces a lot of weaker competition, it says a lot about how he does when he faces a more legit test, and he didn't seem to do very well in that test.

Look, I am not trying to take away from Mendy. I am trying to better understand him. He is talked about like he would be a steal at 14 on this board, and if you go off the talk, it sounds like he is a sure thing stud. I guess one of the biggest hang ups I have is this. I assume much of this board at least watches a lot of Illinois games, and many may even be fans. How much of the Mendy hype is due to that? If Mendy put up the same numbers, but for a different school (Michigan, Texas, Texas A&M, Florida) or where ever, I wonder if the calls to draft him would be equal. Stewart was considered a value (prior to surgury) around our pick, but I do not recall anyone that wanted him. If Mendy played for Oregon, would the calls to draft him be equal.

I get caught up in the same thing here. I watch a lot of Texas games, and that familiarity tends to create bias, as it did w/ me w/ Benson. It is also one reason why I am trying to avoid getting too caught up in Jamal Charles.

If Mendenhall played at Oregon, would fans be talking about inferior competition and only one year of production, or would the screams to draft him be the same?