Great Draft

bradjock

I find it interesting that there are those of us who are thrilled with the draft no matter what we do, and those who hate it no matter what we do.

Our o-line, WR's, D-line, D-backfield, and running-back situtation are all significantly better.

It's perplexing why we made a statement in not drafting a QB, but I'm sure we had our reasons.

Either way, I had a great time spending about 12 hours message boarding about the Bears. Thanks to all of you who participated.

Great draft.

My only issues with the draft:

1. Not drafting a QB (should have traded back up into the 6th and grabbed one.

2. Waiting until the 7th to draft additional O-lineman. Bowman may have been their best player on the board, but I think they should have addressed o-line with that pick.

Peace :dabears

Talk to me in a year or two.

The Bears Super Bowl run was a direct result of a couple of good drafts, picking up basically bargains in guys like Vasher, Anderson, and Hester and other correct calls in guys like Harris, combined with a solid season by Grossman.

The Bears collapse last year was a direct result of the failure of key guys, including the 05 and 07 drafts, to step up, and the failure to find replacements for the O-Line in those drafts.

If a couple guys from this draft step up, especially on the O-line, or a couple segments of the 05 and 07 drafts step up, this team could be right back on top. If the key guys bust, then it's a rebuilding year next year.

Talk to me in a year or two.

The Bears Super Bowl run was a direct result of a couple of good drafts, picking up basically bargains in guys like Vasher, Anderson, and Hester and other correct calls in guys like Harris, combined with a solid season by Grossman.

The Bears collapse last year was a direct result of the failure of key guys, including the 05 and 07 drafts, to step up, and the failure to find replacements for the O-Line in those drafts.

If a couple guys from this draft step up, especially on the O-line, or a couple segments of the 05 and 07 drafts step up, this team could be right back on top. If the key guys bust, then it's a rebuilding year next year.

Agreed. In 2 or 3 years, we'll see what it was like. To base it off this upcoming year's performance would be a crock. The only guys I see having immediate impacts and fairly big ones are Forte and Williams, and maybe Harrison.

My main concern is all the guys with an injury history. I understand getting a couple of those guys, especially with Jerry's habit of redshirting players, but after Earl Bennett, seems like everyone's been injured recently:

Harrison - tore left ACL in 2007 Spring practice

Steltz - Shoulder injury in National Championship

Bowman - left ACL 2006, right pateller tendon 2007

Barton - offseason arthroscopic surgery on shoulder after a strain in the Senior Bowl practices

Monk - Two surgeries on right knee this year

Maybe a good team can make those picks. I'm not sure the Bears can.

Maybe we should have drafted a cadaver for spare parts...

I'm not too worried about Steltz injury since he's a safety nor anyone else in Rd 7 since that is where you take a chance on a guy like that. I am concerned about the DT and CB. I actually like our first 3 picks and think they'll all contribute significantly this year.

Williams should be a solid LT for us and possible Pro Bowl player down the road but his floor IMO is pretty high. I know this much...we will find out the first time we play Minn and Jared Allen (if he isn't already suspended).

The more I read about Bennett the more I like him and I think he'll quickly become a fan favorite. Sounds like this guy does a little of everything well even if he doesn't have blazing speed. We don't need that speed because we have Hester on teh other side to threaten teams deep.

Forte seems like another hard working blue collar type that Bears fans should come to appreciate.

Overall with the first 3 picks I feel we've done a good job upgrading our offense. With two of the next 3 picks (Harrison/Bowman) we can either win really big and might look back on this as a great draft or these guys could flame out and fade away. I love their talent but will we see it on the field after these injuries? That will likely take a year since full recovery won't be this year.

Steltz doesn't thrill me either way. I like him as a player but I don't see much upside at the moment but he can be a contributor on this team. That means my hopes go back to Kevin Payne stepping up big time this year.

I want to know more about the UDFA QB we signed, Hill. Normally these guys are just camp bodies or practice squad players but I think given our QB situation he has to be considered in draft evaluations.

Wan't it worth a chance? I'm mean we picked a DE with character and injury issues... He could be great. But haven't we gone down that road? I still think not drafting a QB is a serious failing in this draft. We'll see how serious later...it could be minor as every single last QB takedn other than your top 2 turn to be busts. I somehow think diffrently.

...wouldn't have looked any better unless we got Ryan or Flacco. The rest are just not very good.

Wan't it worth a chance? I'm mean we picked a DE with character and injury issues... He could be great. But haven't we gone down that road? I still think not drafting a QB is a serious failing in this draft. We'll see how serious later...it could be minor as every single last QB takedn other than your top 2 turn to be busts. I somehow think diffrently.

We signed a QB we liked and probably could have spent a 6th or 7th round pick on.

Seriously whats the difference?

Maybe there won't be...

I think Josh Johnson really has something...I think we will regert not pulling the trigger there. Especially that low.

How many 7th rounders or undrafted guys make it? There's almost a better chance winning the Lotto. For every ROmo...there's amy others in the opposite direction.

We signed a QB we liked and probably could have spent a 6th or 7th round pick on.

Maybe there won't be...

I think Josh Johnson really has something...I think we will regert not pulling the trigger there. Especially that low.

How many 7th rounders or undrafted guys make it? There's almost a better chance winning the Lotto. For every ROmo...there's amy others in the opposite direction.

Yeah but everyone is hating cause we didn't draft a quarterback. But getting the one they liked, and invited in, without wasting a pick is win-win.

I too liked Josh Johnson, but after further reseach most experts said he was too short (something we rag grossman about) and didn't throw a good deep ball (something that is key in Turner's offense. We saw that Griese couldn't do it and it killed him).

Again, for me, anyone besides those top two are total crapshoots, Nick Hill probably has just as good a shot to be good than those guys.

I find it interesting that there are those of us who are thrilled with the draft no matter what we do, and those who hate it no matter what we do.

Our o-line, WR's, D-line, D-backfield, and running-back situtation are all significantly better.

It's perplexing why we made a statement in not drafting a QB, but I'm sure we had our reasons.

Either way, I had a great time spending about 12 hours message boarding about the Bears. Thanks to all of you who participated.

Great draft.

I wish I was in the chatroom more for the 2nd day (too busy being royally hungover) but it was a lot of fun being in there when I was discussing Bears football with everyone. Better yet the Bears look to have done a real nice job bringing in some good football players that can stablize the franchise and turn last year into a minor bump in the road to numerous superbowl championships during the Lovie/JA era.

Yeah but everyone is hating cause we didn't draft a quarterback. But getting the one they liked, and invited in, without wasting a pick is win-win.

I too liked Josh Johnson, but after further reseach most experts said he was too short (something we rag grossman about) and didn't throw a good deep ball (something that is key in Turner's offense. We saw that Griese couldn't do it and it killed him).

Again, for me, anyone besides those top two are total crapshoots, Nick Hill probably has just as good a shot to be good than those guys.

Hill is a good fit. He will come in with little pressure and compete and be given ample time to sit on the bench. He isn't as experienced as some or as polished as some but he has all the physical tools necessary to be a successful NFL QB. Given a lot of the guys out there, I like Hill more than a decent chunk of QB's who got drafted.

That said there is no guarantee Hill makes the roster, but I believe they will keep him.

I truly hope you are right.

The perception of it all...just looks bad. The whole world sees our glaring hole at QB. We'll have to answer this question many times this year...and picking an undrafted guy doesn't quite make the questions stop coming. It's a valid question, even as much as I'd love to see this Hill kid rock!

I truly hope you are right.

The perception of it all...just looks bad. The whole world sees our glaring hole at QB. We'll have to answer this question many times this year...and picking an undrafted guy doesn't quite make the questions stop coming. It's a valid question, even as much as I'd love to see this Hill kid rock!

Funny, much of these reviews of our draft dont really mention not taking a qb.

I think you are really blowing it out of proportion.

I'm surprised that they took so many players with injury issues. But if they pan out, it looks great. Steltz could lead to Manning , Jr. being relelased. And I agree on the QB AZBearsfan. Probably after JA got Forte he just saw noone at that position that he felt was worth passing up the guys he did take. Boy, I just wonder what aged FA QB is going to be available after all the final cuts in Aug or Sept.

One. Flacco isn't a crap shoot? Baltimore loved Flacco, but I think the opinions have been very uniform that Brohm is far more NFL ready than Flacco, who is a small school project w/ huge upsdie.

Two. One of the biggest knocks on Brohm is whether or not he can stay healthy, but injury issues didn't stop us from drafting many others.

Three. you say most all the QBs in the draft are a crap shoot. And your point is? Look at our draft. It is loaded w/ crap shoots. Would it not have been better to roll the dice at the position that is a greater need than any other, rather than CB, TE, DE or LB? Instead of crap shoots at positions we are set w/, how about rolling the dice at QB.

You mock GB, but I much prefer their route.

Even though they had Favre, they continued to draft young QBs who could (a) develop w/o great responsibility or pressure and (B) serve as backups.

They currrently have Rogers who, while unproven, most would take over Rex and/or Orton. Instead of putting all their hopes though in one QB, they draft Brohm. Then go one further at QB w/ Flynn.

Of the three, their hope is one can develop into a solid or better starter. At least they have reason to hope. We continue to hope our trash smells better every year.

nfo,

You are 100% correct.

The draft is a total crap-shoot. And I completely agree that is should have been addressed...

One. Flacco isn't a crap shoot? Baltimore loved Flacco, but I think the opinions have been very uniform that Brohm is far more NFL ready than Flacco, who is a small school project w/ huge upsdie.

Two. One of the biggest knocks on Brohm is whether or not he can stay healthy, but injury issues didn't stop us from drafting many others.

Three. you say most all the QBs in the draft are a crap shoot. And your point is? Look at our draft. It is loaded w/ crap shoots. Would it not have been better to roll the dice at the position that is a greater need than any other, rather than CB, TE, DE or LB? Instead of crap shoots at positions we are set w/, how about rolling the dice at QB.

I see that too. Personally, I am an Angelo basher, but I like much of the draft. At the same time, I question much of it also.

OL - We drafted Williams, which should allow us to move Tait to RT, but I question whether our OL will be "significantly" better, at least in 2008. Tait was not great last year, but as good as Williams may be, I question how much is expected of him starting at LT as a rookie. Further, we did not upgrade our LG position, which does not help the rookie. W/ a rookie at LT, I think we really needed a better LG. I like the future Williams brings, but question how much our OL will be upgraded immediately.

WR - I like the Bennett pick, and love the Monk pick (value). While I agree we improved our WR corps, (a) how much should we truly expect of these rookies this year and (B) have we upgraded our WR corp over last year. I see Booker as an upgrade to Moose, but have we replaced, much less upgraded, over Berrian?

DL - Harrison could be a good DT, but I see Ian Scott. He is an inconsistent run stuffer, and not a pass rusher. I am not sure he is an upgrade over Adams, and not sure we really upgraded here.

Secondary - I do not see Bowman as an upgrade in the least. He is a developmental project, and if we filled our 53 man roster based purely on what the player brings (now), Bowman would most likely be our 5th or 6th CB. He is a long term project, nothing more. Steltz is quickly becoming a fan favorite pick, but he is an in-the-box safety. Is he really an upgrade, not to mention "significant" upgrade, over McGowan or Payne? He adds depth, but I am not sure I would say he improves our secondary.

We did not upgrade our QB situation, present or future. We upgraded our OL, but could have done FAR more. Now we are forced to likely start St Clair inside, and we are extremely thin and can afford no injuries.

Any ideas what those reasons could be? Even if you are not sold on Brohm or Henne, how can you have so many picks, and such a need, and not find a single player worth the risk. We took risks across the board. Why not at QB. Peter King hits it on the nail when he points out that in the last three years, we have not drafted a single QB. Pathetic.

Again, you are spot on!

Just reveiwing other team's drafts...I sit in utter bewilderment. I just read mariotti, and usually I dislike the bum, but I have a hard time disagreeing with him. I think it's been mentioned many a time that even a broken clock works right 2 times a day...

I just fear Angelo with offense. I really fear us regressing at QB. Our only hope in my opinion is that Orton proves to be a great game manager...Forte runs like TJ and the O line gets it back together.

You mock GB, but I much prefer their route.

Even though they had Favre, they continued to draft young QBs who could (a) develop w/o great responsibility or pressure and (B) serve as backups.

They currrently have Rogers who, while unproven, most would take over Rex and/or Orton. Instead of putting all their hopes though in one QB, they draft Brohm. Then go one further at QB w/ Flynn.

Of the three, their hope is one can develop into a solid or better starter. At least they have reason to hope. We continue to hope our trash smells better every year.

Angelo is a former defensive scout, and I think that background gets in the way.

He was set to draft offense w/ the first three picks. I think that was pretty obvious. IMHO, we went into the draft looking to draft for need w/ the top 3 picks. I believe a QB should have been in there, but I believe Angelo is trying to give our QBs one more chance, and provide Rex w/ more weapons for that last chance.

After the top 3 picks, I think Angelo goes to a best player available philosophy, and that is where he begins to trip over his background. If you have a defensive background, you are simply more likely to see more diamonds in the rough on defense than at offense. That doesn't mean the offensive diamonds are absent, it just means that (a) you can not see them and (B) the defensive diamonds are glaring into your eyes too much to resist.

IMHO, that is we why went DT, CB and S after our need picks. Further, do we know for sure whether Davis will be used as a TE or developed into a pass rushing DE, as he did play both his senior year.

Angelo simply can see defensive diamonds in the rough and not the offensive ones. The problem there is, he is our GM and not head of defensive scouts, and thus needs to be able to see both sides.