Cut our losses with Benson

Da Bears 88

I commend you on your stock analysis...however, I think that there is opportunity cost you are not factoring in. Having him on the team costs the team not just in finances, but in energy and loss of reps for a worthy back.

Don't get me wrong, I believe it's probably worth holding him for a year...let Forte get acclimated slowly as with Williams and some of our new WR's... I think we will be seeing a new QB line up next year, Forte starting (hopefully if he proves worthy), and a whole new look to the offense in general. I just have no issue exploring the possibility of a trade... I too jumped on the Benson wagon...but I feel snake-bitten by that now.

No offense taken! Cheers! :cheers

To take the finances a bit further, I think your analogy is off. Benson isn't a stock that will bottom out and cost the Bears more money; the money spent on him is already locked up. At this point he's like an equite index annuity. There's not an overly great chance at a big return, but there is no real worry of loss either. It's either great upside or meager returns from a safe floor.

As for my belief in him, that's a different issue. I am not really a Benson fan, never have been. But I'm all for what makes the Bears better, and once TJ was let go, I jumped on board the Benson bandwagon. I saw enough glimpses in on-off time two years ago to know that he's got talent. I remember watching the N.O. game thinking, "Wow, this kid might be really good." But he split time with TJ and ran behind a garbage OL the next year. I'd just like to see what he can do as the #1 RB when the Bears OL doesn't stink, a chance he didn't get last year.

No offense to Kenny Rogers.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear ya...but there is opportunity cost as well. Giving time to him limits reps on guys that really want to contribute. It's not that much loot, and I think we could get a draft pick like a 4th or 5th for him...

I guess I'm out of hope for him. But, anything's possible.

But if we cut him lose, we still pay for it. They're going to let him earn his money this season and hopefylly the guy does it. If we cut him, the money is still tied up, so what can we do? Potential is a nasty word, but it's what we're hoping for with the bum!

If we are going to cut or losses with Benson, that will cost the Bears probably 2-3 million against the cap. With the Bears trying to be wise with the cap, and use every penny to try and extend and make happy our own, I just don't see why we would throw away that money. This would irritate the one's holding out for that extra dime.

The best way to do this would be to keep Cedric on the team, not put him on the game day roster and pay him what we owe him with out taking the cap hit for cutting or trading him. Then with the extra money that your suggesting we throw away, give it to Hester/Urlacher/Harris.

That would be the best solution to dump Cedric. I would personally love to see Cedric come in and succeed, but if the Bears were to make Cedric disappear, this would be the best solution IMO. LT2 would know a lot more about this and if it is even possible.

Unfortunately as far as we know Benson is the best RB we have on our roster and it hurts the team to lose him. I hate saying it believe me, but its the truth. Even cutting him wouldnt effect extending Harris or Hester at this point either. Theres no point to cutting depth just because he is a bust. Forte could be a bust or AP could get injured. Cutting him and not getting any compensation is a terrible move from our front office which is why they wouldnt do it.

No cutting...TRADE! Someone out there will take a chance (Denver)...

Unfortunately as far as we know Benson is the best RB we have on our roster and it hurts the team to lose him. I hate saying it believe me, but its the truth. Even cutting him wouldnt effect extending Harris or Hester at this point either. Theres no point to cutting depth just because he is a bust. Forte could be a bust or AP could get injured. Cutting him and not getting any compensation is a terrible move from our front office which is why they wouldnt do it.

Keep Ced on the roster but don't put him on the active list? I guarantee the McCaskey's have an issue with that since they'd still be writing the checks for a player we know isn't going to play. We have a lot of cap space remaining and Harris and Hester aren't jumping in to take it up. So Ced has to earn a roster spot or we can stop cutting checks for him and take the salary cap hit this year. Having said that I still think Ced has the talent to succeed in this league and I'd love to see him come out and fight for a spot. It would be great to have Ced playing well with Forte backing him p and Wolfe as the occasional change of pace back.

Walt Harris. Was ever ever the player envisioned when drafted? No. At the same time, he was a pretty good CB, who actually looked solid when we finally had a pass rush. Like you said, just because a rookie doesn't live up to expectations, that does not mean you simply cut him.

And I agree that fans are going a tad bit too far w/ Forte. As I recall, we traded TJ because of faith in an unproven Benson, and the believe AP was more than a backup. It seems to me getting rid of Benson would be the same mistake all over again. There is much to like about Forte, but I am sorry, Benson was a FAR more highly regarded RB. Point is, while Forte may be a stud, he could well be no better than Benson. Until they strap the pads on, we would be making a move (getting rid of Benson) based on a lack of knowledge, which is rarely wise.

I'd rather cut him and keep hass who hasn't been given an opp.

Man...you think Hass is the next coming of Jerry Rice.....if the coaching staff hasn't given him the opp. on the field then I am going to go with their decision...just because this guy is a burner doesn't mean he is a legit receiver.....you gotta make the catches in practice to be able to make them on the field and obviously he can't catch a pass while being defended by Mcbride or whoever else is on the 2nd-3rd team defense.

As for Benson....I say give him a chance this season and see how he plays with a fire under his ass....if he fails so be it and drop him on his ass....Even though high draft pick RBs should be able to go right away, we might as well give him a season to adjust himself from a small conference school to the NFL...

Man...you think Hass is the next coming of Jerry Rice.....if the coaching staff hasn't given him the opp. on the field then I am going to go with their decision...just because this guy is a burner doesn't mean he is a legit receiver.....you gotta make the catches in practice to be able to make them on the field and obviously he can't catch a pass while being defended by Mcbride or whoever else is on the 2nd-3rd team defense.

As for Benson....I say give him a chance this season and see how he plays with a fire under his ass....if he fails so be it and drop him on his ass....Even though high draft pick RBs should be able to go right away, we might as well give him a season to adjust himself from a small conference school to the NFL...

Man what crack pipe are you smoking? Show me where I said hass is the next jerry rice! WTF the point of my comment was that why keep a guy with a bad work ethic and injury list a mile long when you have a guy like hass who busts his ass to get on the team. He can't catch a pass? Once again what are you talking about? Do your homework, I believe hass broke team records in college and is pretty sure handed. I'm not saying he's the next allstar at wr for this team, but he is a hard worker which benson is known not to be. So like madlith said if we were available to get any trade worth decent value why would it be totally unquestionable to keep another wr with youth and upside? Sure they may keep some other position, but you never know. I'm sorry the whole plays with a fire under his ass thing is bull S. He's paid as the #4 overall pick in 2005 screw him if he needs a fire lit under his ass, he should play like that regardless of any circumstances, not just b/c we drafted a rookie to send him packing. That's why this team makes soo many mistakes they give too many "second opportunities" to worthless players with no motivation until they know we've had it with the crap production.

Man what crack pipe are you smoking? Show me where I said hass is the next jerry rice! WTF the point of my comment was that why keep a guy with a bad work ethic and injury list a mile long when you have a guy like hass who busts his ass to get on the team. He can't catch a pass? Once again what are you talking about? Do your homework, I believe hass broke team records in college and is pretty sure handed. I'm not saying he's the next allstar at wr for this team, but he is a hard worker which benson is known not to be. So like madlith said if we were available to get any trade worth decent value why would it be totally unquestionable to keep another wr with youth and upside? Sure they may keep some other position, but you never know. I'm sorry the whole plays with a fire under his ass thing is bull S. He's paid as the #4 overall pick in 2005 screw him if he needs a fire lit under his ass, he should play like that regardless of any circumstances, not just b/c we drafted a rookie to send him packing. That's why this team makes soo many mistakes they give too many "second opportunities" to worthless players with no motivation until they know we've had it with the crap production.

Apologies...maybe it wasn't you, but there is someone on this board that brings him up in every damn thread there is.....I agree with you about the hard worker thing, but the Rudy syndrome only works in college..in the NFL you need talent to go along with work ethic....I am a Ced hater as much as the next guy (look at my sig for gods sake)...but I don't think you cut a RB to bring in a hard working WR, its a waste of a roster spot....Forte hasn't proven shit yet, we have a mediocre RB that had a decent season in the past...Yea Rhodes has had some decent seasons, and ran all over us in the SB, but that doesn't mean we should pay Benson just to cut his ass....make his ass do some work and maybe somewhere he will find a heart for this game...(and open his eyes)

Apologies...maybe it wasn't you, but there is someone on this board that brings him up in every damn thread there is.....I agree with you about the hard worker thing, but the Rudy syndrome only works in college..in the NFL you need talent to go along with work ethic....I am a Ced hater as much as the next guy (look at my sig for gods sake)...but I don't think you cut a RB to bring in a hard working WR, its a waste of a roster spot....Forte hasn't proven shit yet, we have a mediocre RB that had a decent season in the past...Yea Rhodes has had some decent seasons, and ran all over us in the SB, but that doesn't mean we should pay Benson just to cut his ass....make his ass do some work and maybe somewhere he will find a heart for this game...(and open his eyes)

I read you on that, but I also think there's no harm after june 1st cuts if there is a decent rb available (screw rhodes) that maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to explore a trade if any value and bring in someone who wants to be a rb in this league or someone who wants to be out there in the 4th quarter even if they are hurting. Sure we may or may not keep benson, but my honest opinion is he'll be the same if not worse than he was last year, and we can't afford to have a lackluster rb holding our running game back again this year cause our qb play can't overcome it. And after another injury which many said it could have been career threatening I just don't see benson being any different than last year, if not worse.

Good night I'm hitting the sack take it easy!

No cutting...TRADE! Someone out there will take a chance (Denver)...

I honestly do not believe there is any trade value for a player who has not lived up to expectations who is coming off a major injury. He'll have to prove it on the field this yr or he is gone.

Peace :dabears

I honestly do not believe there is any trade value for a player who has not lived up to expectations who is coming off a major injury. He'll have to prove it on the field this yr or he is gone.

Peace :dabears

we would get a late 7th round for him IMO