Caleb Hanie

AZ54

There's not a lot of info about Hanie's abilities so I thought I'd post this from the Bears' website. Sounds a little like the next Rex Grossman but 2in taller. However, despite those INTs, if he did have that much of a lack of talent around him then completing 64% of his passes is pretty good depending of course on the system they ran at Col State.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/ChalkTalkStory.asp?story_id=4660

During the draft I heard Mel Kiper Jr. say that Caleb Hanie had the second strongest arm of the quarterbacks this year next to Joe Flacco. What is the scouting report on Caleb and what were his college statistics?

Brent S.

Lombard, Illinois

Caleb Hanie does have a strong arm and a quick release and he throws a very tight spiral. All of those attributes were certainly evident Friday during the first practice of rookie minicamp. He’s a drop-back passer and not a scrambler, but he’s athletic enough to keep plays alive with his feet. In terms of weaknesses, Hanie has been known to try to force passes into coverage. But that may have to do more with trying to do too much while not having a very strong supporting cast around him at Colorado State. As a senior last year, Hanie completed 64.2 percent of his passes for 2,455 yards with 18 touchdowns and 15 interceptions.

Sounds a little like the next Rex Grossman but 2in taller.

Ahh. This is a good microcosm of Rex's treatment by everyone. Shrink down everything he does, and play up everything his competition does. Play up his weaknesses, play down his strengths. Write off his high moments as luck, and talk up his down ones as "train-Rex". I'll just keep it short and get to the point. Rex is 6'1" even. Caleb is 6' 1-7/8", which if I'm not mistaken, is less than an inch taller.

I actually like Rex. I'm not sold he can be a starter in the league until he stops the boneheaded mistakes. He needs to improve but the way he played in his last 4 games is what I expected from him after seeing him play in his rookie year.

If you took a few seconds to read the full post you'd see that Hanie "has a compact and quick release, throws a tight spiral and has a strong arm. He's a drop back passer and not a scrambler". Doesn't that sound similar to Rex? How is that downplaying his strengths?

I am hoping Rex, with added protection, can make us all believers. Let's face it guys, I do not care how tall you are as a QB, or for that matter how strong your arm is & how quick your release is, it is darn difficult to put up a good performance when you are constantly getting nailed by the pass rush. Give us a good OL & as a result a good running game and then we will see how good Rex really is.

However, if he does not succeed, I am very intrigued by the reports of these 2 undrafted QB we signed, and especially C Hanie. Sounds like a solid prospect.

I actually like Rex. I'm not sold he can be a starter in the league until he stops the boneheaded mistakes. He needs to improve but the way he played in his last 4 games is what I expected from him after seeing him play in his rookie year.

If you took a few seconds to read the full post you'd see that Hanie "has a compact and quick release, throws a tight spiral and has a strong arm. He's a drop back passer and not a scrambler". Doesn't that sound similar to Rex? How is that downplaying his strengths?

I'm just glad we signed Hanie and did not draft HENNE!