Benson is history

Wesson44

Former Longhorn arrested

09:11 AM CDT on Sunday, May 4, 2008

KVUE News

Former Longhorn Cedric Benson was arrested Saturday evening by officers with the Texas Park and Wildlife and Lower Colorado River Association.

Benson is out on a $14,500 bail.

Benson was arrested for boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest.

The 25 year old former Longhorn running back was drafted by the Chicago Bears in 2005.

This is not his first arrest.

Back in 2004 Benson spent time in the Del Valle Correctional Facility for criminal trespassing.

He was found guilty of breaking into a woman's house in search of a stolen television.

Former Longhorn arrested

09:11 AM CDT on Sunday, May 4, 2008

KVUE News

Former Longhorn Cedric Benson was arrested Saturday evening by officers with the Texas Park and Wildlife and Lower Colorado River Association.

Benson is out on a $14,500 bail.

Benson was arrested for boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest.

The 25 year old former Longhorn running back was drafted by the Chicago Bears in 2005.

This is not his first arrest.

Back in 2004 Benson spent time in the Del Valle Correctional Facility for criminal trespassing.

He was found guilty of breaking into a woman's house in search of a stolen television.

Here's more:

Cedric Benson arrested

Police use pepper spray during arrest

By Vaughn McClure |Tribune reporter8:14 AM CDT, May 4, 2008

Bears running back Cedric Benson was arrested late Saturday night near Austin, Texas, and charged with boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest, both Class B misdemeanors.

According to a sergeant from the Travis County Sheriff's office, Benson, who played at the University of Texas in Austin, was arrested by the Lower Colorado River Authority. A LCRA spokesperson said that Benson, who failed a sobriety "float test" (an abbreviated version of a field sobriety test) on the boat, argued over taking a follow-up test on land and refused to put on a life jacket. LCRA police attempted to arrest Benson at that time but he refused to cooperate and was pepper sprayed. He was booked at 11:24 p.m. Saturday and later bonded out, the sergeant said.

Benson, who had his 2007 season cut short by a broken leg, was in jeopardy of losing his starting spot even before the arrest. The fourth-overall pick of the 2005 draft has struggled through his first three seasons with the Bears, failing to post a 1,000-yard campaign while averaging just 3.8 yards per carry. Benson averaged a career-low 3.4 yards per carry last season, finishing with 674 yards on 196 carries with four touchdowns in 11 games started. He missed the final five games with the leg injury.

The Bears sent a clear sign that they wanted more production from their running back by selecting Tulane's Matt Forte in the second round of this year's draft. Forte's ability to get to the outside and catch the ball out of the backfield were dimensions the Bears missed with Benson in the lineup, although Benson showed flashes against Seattle and Denver last season.

Benson had a couple of brushes with the law during his college days.

He was arrested for marijuana possession in May of 2002 in his hometown of Midland, Texas. The charges were dropped when he passed a drug test and other evidence surfaced to clear him.

In October of 2003, he was arrested for criminal trespassing after kicking down an apartment door in Austin, believing his $15,000 plasma television was inside. He received an eight-day jail sentence but never went behind bars because of time served on the day of the arrest, good behavior, and the lack of available beds at the local prison.

On Saturday, Benson was on his 30-foot boat with 12 to 15 others but Benson was the only person to be arrested, police said.

Peace :dabears

This sounds a bit gay to me, there really is such a thing as getting a DUI while driving a freaking boat? Thats bogus.

Its operating a boat while intoxicated. It can and has killed people. There is such a thing, you are a moron for thinking it is gay

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/X...5-A/265-A-3.htm

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=k...ile+intoxicated

Its operating a boat while intoxicated. It can and has killed people. There is such a thing, you are a moron for thinking it is gay

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/X...5-A/265-A-3.htm

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=k...ile+intoxicated

Oh man, don't play the moron card on me please :[[[[[ I'm trying to picture this all in my mind. I haven't ever heard of this before, driving a boat while intoxicated..

Oh man, don't play the moron card on me please :[[[[[ I'm trying to picture this all in my mind. I haven't ever heard of this before, driving a boat while intoxicated..

Dont play the moron hand and I wont throw down the card

Its pretty easy to understand, there are cops in boats, and they stop other boats. they have the right to board your boat and if they suspect you have been drinking, they can conduct a breathalyzer or field sobriety test.

And if it is so hard for you to believe, read the links I posted. Plenty of stories in that google search.

Dude you can get a dui by driving a lawn mower while drinking. Doesn't matter what it was in. If you are on public property and driving something intoxicated you're taking the risk. I had a friend who was sleeping in his car trying to sleep it off and got a dui cause his keys were in the ignition so the radio could play. That's just the law. The facts are that this is just a slap on the wrist if he gets the DUI, but add in the resisting arrest and now it becomes a PR nightmare. I for one would not be surprised if he gets cut. Everyone points at tank, but honestly all tank did was possess guns w/o a license and not have a permit. Then he got pulled over for suspision of DUI but didn't get charged and we cut him right? That's a far cry from resisting a law enforcement officer. What a role model he is. Hey kids if you get in trouble just fight back that's what I do.

This sounds a bit gay to me, there really is such a thing as getting a DUI while driving a freaking boat? Thats bogus.

Yeah dude. Ask one of the thousands for come down here for spring break in Lake Havasu and get dui's every year.

I knew a guy who got a DUI for riding his bike home from a bar wasted.

You know there are other boats out in lakes and such? It's not like you're the only one out there.

Dont play the moron hand and I wont throw down the card

Its pretty easy to understand, there are cops in boats, and they stop other boats. they have the right to board your boat and if they suspect you have been drinking, they can conduct a breathalyzer or field sobriety test.

And if it is so hard for you to believe, read the links I posted. Plenty of stories in that google search.

Ok smartass, I was only being sarcastic.. But anyways, I believe the story, its just that you don't here too many athletes being pulled over for driving while intoxicated in a boat.

I wonder what Ced's gonna say when he gets to camp!

Why are you sticking up for a clown like Benson? 5.gif

Saw a guy on TV get arrest for drunk driving a lawn mower. there was a police car chase. Pretty funny in a comic sense. But drunk driving of ANY vehicle is not funny.

Heck, Dave Grohl from the Foo Fighters got a DUI on a SCOOTER in Australia. If it is motorized, you can get busted for a DUI