Is it me or what?

GrizzlyBear

I agree, there is no reason why we can not all respect each other enough not to resort to profanity and insults.

We never needed a filter at Bearstalk because we were all respectful of each other. Sure, on occasion, an admin or poster would have to remind someone to refrain from profanity or flaming another poster, but for the most part, no other actions were necessary.

There has been more profanity and flaming here than I would like to see, definitely more than what I saw at Bearstalk. On the draft weekend I got so fed up with the profanity in the chat room, distributed liberally by 2 of our infamous posters, that I just packed up and left the chat room on Sunday, I personally could not enjoy the exchanges the rest of us were trying to have.

I agree, there is no reason why we can not all respect each other enough not to resort to profanity and insults.

We never needed a filter at Bearstalk because we were all respectful of each other. Sure, on occasion, an admin or poster would have to remind someone to refrain from profanity or flaming another poster, but for the most part, no other actions were necessary.

There has been more profanity and flaming here than I would like to see, definitely more than what I saw at Bearstalk. On the draft weekend I got so fed up with the profanity in the chat room, distributed liberally by 2 of our infamous posters, that I just packed up and left the chat room on Sunday, I personally could not enjoy the exchanges the rest of us were trying to have.

Thank you Pix for cementing my point. I just feel this board can be so much more then showing the world what a lack of vocabulary we have. And to make light of it is just as as bad saying the filth that i seen here. So saying that I will be the first to say "I will NOT say anyting That insults another or use profanity in anyway here."

We can use the filters like Prophet suggested but you cant really blame the mods for not doing anything yet. There havent been any complaints and any other attempts at self policing so far have been met with such outrage like we are acting like FCC. So which way do you want it cleaned up or not? You can ask for people just not to swear but that wont happen.

again i am not trashing anything about the site. it's hard work keeping a site going and you guys have done a good job to make it a place to come and discuss the bears. it really is appreciated by all. just that you are listening to the posters and their suggestions is a major plus and shows that you care about the environment created here.

here is why i stepped up on this subject: the "Bear Report" message board used to be a good place to hang out and get a lot of good information along with the "Bear Shrine". after they moved to their new provider in washington the report became lax in their profanity regulation and in fact the moderator himself (in reality a nice enough hard working guy) became one of the biggest offenders.

it started out with a few f words and escalated into some real raw language as people pushed the limits after being allowed the continuous flow of the four lettered kind. to put it in a nutshell, there was still some good posting on the board but it became hard to get through some real raunchy posts. i started frequenting it less and moved almost completely to the the latter site where it was more policed and moderated. it's a shame because i read that site for years.

look, i'm not a prude and when angry at times i can make a lifer marine blush but... i always try on these boards to behave verbally like i were in a room full of 8-10 year olds which in reality there really may be some on here. i just figure that i would not use four lettered expletives and worse if i were talking to someones young children in real life and don't see the need to do so on here. so for me the filter converting things to freakin or fricken would not bother me in the least.

however it works out i know as a moderator you will get some knuckleheads who insist this is america and it's their constitutional right to be obscene because we have freedom of speech and so on, and so on, when in reality it's not their right to do as they please on someone else's property which this surely is. you are paying the costs to keep this site up and most if not all the mods are working for free because they care about the site as a whole. at times it will be a thankless job but just know that if moderated within reason the core players on your site will appreciate it whether they say so or not.

My take.

Personally, I cuss plenty, though I try to police myself on the board. I don't have a big problem when people cuss, but my concern is that the cussing moves from situational to personal. If cussing becomes common place, is it really that hard to see it going to the next level of saying, "F U" or calling people a jack---?

I usually try to go the Johny Dangeoursly Route. Fargin Iceholl. Arce. yetc. Maybe that should even be avoided, but I tend to see it as innocent enough.

But back to the point. I agree we limit cussing, as I feel it helps avoid personal attacks, or at least personal attacks going too far.

I think the biggest problem from earlier was communication. While the event caused a hell of a stir, at the same time, it may have been for the best as it forced a discussion, which turned into a poll, more discussion, and then a new policy (I think).

Similar here. An issue has been presented, followed by a discussion, and then a new policy. Anywho who does not like the policy, or chooses to break that policy, can deal w/ the consequences.

Whatever you guys decide I'm ok with, but I cuss all the time. I just cuss when I type...the words just pop into my train of thought...sometimes for emphasis... sometimes for humor. I can't remember ever cussing with regards to another poster....but it's all good. If you want to turn my flub into duck...then by all means...go for it...

I don't think cussing moves from situational to personal...and if it did....those people are ignorant and were gonna get personal anyway. To me it's all about respect. Respect your fellow posters. Pretend you are talking to them face to face instead of behind your keyboard and you will be respectful. If while face to face, someone throws an idea your way and you think it's ridiuclous, you would explain why you thought so in a courteous manner, but on a message board a number of people are just like...lets call the guy out and make him look like an ass.... That's the most moronic thing I ever heard of...what idiot would think that etc etc etc... Respect is what's its all about...

hahaha...or turn into flub....that's cool too :)

Swearing is apart of life, you can't do anything about it. It is no big deal..

Totaly disagree, Swearing never is part of life!! In church , I think not, At work (at least at my workplace, a office enviroment) not, with your parents Not, or grand parents not. So to say it is a part of life is false. Its just a lack of discipline and refrainment. I have known plenty of people in this world that finished every sentence with " and sh_t".

"you know what I mean and sh_t? or " the whole 9 yards and sh_t" totaly sounded ignorant. If you talk like that its a problem that will be very hard to quit.

Totaly disagree, Swearing never is part of life!! In church , I think not, At work (at least at my workplace, a office enviroment) not, with your parents Not, or grand parents not. So to say it is a part of life is false. Its just a lack of discipline and refrainment. I have known plenty of people in this world that finished every sentence with " and sh_t".

"you know what I mean and sh_t? or " the whole 9 yards and sh_t" totaly sounded ignorant. If you talk like that its a problem that will be very hard to quit.

I agree with you Grizz, the key is self control.

I have certainly used my share of 4 letter words when upset or joking around in certain situations but only in private or when with friends who are doing likewise and I know would not be offended.

I certainly have the self control not to use this language in the work environment, around my grandchildren (or any children), when in a restaurant or store, etc...

I think you said in a concise manner, what I've been trying to say...

Thank you Pix for cementing my point. I just feel this board can be so much more then showing the world what a lack of vocabulary we have. And to make light of it is just as as bad saying the filth that i seen here. So saying that I will be the first to say "I will NOT say anyting That insults another or use profanity in anyway here."