Points of View, May 15, 2008

tshanno

http://chicagobearsfanforum.com/blog/?p=245

The Bears

Mike Florio of The Sporting News rates the ten worse moves and non-moves of the NFL offseason. Who's number 1? The Bears, failing to do anything at QB, something that Florio attributes to the arrogance of Jerry Angelo.

“Chicago Bears G.M. Jerry Angelo reminds us of the guy at the end of Animal House who was saying, "All is well," while all heck was breaking loose at the parade that Bluto and company crashed.”

As anyone who regularly reads this space knows, I whole heartedly agree.

Josh Alper at profootballtalk.com chimes in on the Brian Urlacher contract situation.

“My guess is he wants more up front because he’s worried about making it through the life of the contract.”

My guess is that he wants more up front because he's getting ready to support a second wife while basically supporting a third through child support. Urlacher is trying to make the Bears (and through them, the fans) pay for his mistakes.

Speaking of Bears linebackers and child support, there's so much wrong in this Chicago Sun-Times story on Lance Briggs that I can't even comment out of disgust and contempt. Nor should I have to. Briggs is a major disappointment.

Elsewhere

Baltimore defender Terrel Suggs thought he should be classified as a DE. The Ravens thought he should be a less well-paid LB. The solution? A compromise. He is now classified and a DE-LB. But one wonders who the top 5 players in this new category are? Are they other DE-LBs, thus reducing the pool of players or is it like 2 DEs and 3 LBs? Inquiring (read “obsessive”_ minds want to know.

New Orleans Hornets fans held up a large, sexy picture of Eva Longoria holding a basketball to distract husband Tony Parker while he was taking free throws. It worked. He missed.

I'm thinking that maybe a picture of Jon Kitna with his arm around Tyna Robertson behind the end zone might be appropriate at Soldier Field.

TMZ is reporting that Andre Johnson ordered 750 bicycles to be given to under privileged kids. In return Walmart agreed to provide water and ice for the event at which they would be given away. There was a problem with the order and, as a result, Walmart reneged on the agreement. Now they are trying to rectify the situation:

"We are reaching out to the Andre Johnson Foundation as we speak to rectify the situation. It's disappointing that this happened."

Translation: “You caught us and its disappointing that it happened. We'll start caring about kids when they allow us to start selling them.”

Lot's of Spygate stuff out there that I won't comment on in depth right now. To make a long story short, the most significant revelation to me was the one that the Jets were allegedly taping as well. This is the NFL's real fear and this is the real reason they want this story to go away. It's because they know very well how far it could spread.

I'm still very interested. This story has a lot of depth and a lot of angles that could keep it alive for a long time.

In terms of the how it relates to the Bears, I'll only say this. I couldn't prove it but in terms of very circumstantial evidence, I'll believe until the day I die that Mike Sherman was occasionally doing some shady things when he was Packers HC. For the record I have seen nothing to indicate those practices continued beyond his tenure with the team.

One Final Thought

Earl Campbell urges Cedric Benson to “take responsibility” and to not put himself in a situaiton that might require him to claim innocence. Earl needs to give one or two Chicago newspaper columnists a call to let them know as well. In any case:

“Right now, everybody remembers Cedric Benson by what happened up on the lake. Nobody remembers what a great football player he is …”

There's another very good reason we don't remember that, Earl...

Count me in agreeing with you and Florio...

http://chicagobearsfanforum.com/blog/?p=245

The Bears

Mike Florio of The Sporting News rates the ten worse moves and non-moves of the NFL offseason. Who's number 1? The Bears, failing to do anything at QB, something that Florio attributes to the arrogance of Jerry Angelo.

“Chicago Bears G.M. Jerry Angelo reminds us of the guy at the end of Animal House who was saying, "All is well," while all heck was breaking loose at the parade that Bluto and company crashed.”

As anyone who regularly reads this space knows, I whole heartedly agree.

Josh Alper at profootballtalk.com chimes in on the Brian Urlacher contract situation.

“My guess is he wants more up front because he’s worried about making it through the life of the contract.”

My guess is that he wants more up front because he's getting ready to support a second wife while basically supporting a third through child support. Urlacher is trying to make the Bears (and through them, the fans) pay for his mistakes.

Speaking of Bears linebackers and child support, there's so much wrong in this Chicago Sun-Times story on Lance Briggs that I can't even comment out of disgust and contempt. Nor should I have to. Briggs is a major disappointment.

Elsewhere

Baltimore defender Terrel Suggs thought he should be classified as a DE. The Ravens thought he should be a less well-paid LB. The solution? A compromise. He is now classified and a DE-LB. But one wonders who the top 5 players in this new category are? Are they other DE-LBs, thus reducing the pool of players or is it like 2 DEs and 3 LBs? Inquiring (read “obsessive”_ minds want to know.

New Orleans Hornets fans held up a large, sexy picture of Eva Longoria holding a basketball to distract husband Tony Parker while he was taking free throws. It worked. He missed.

I'm thinking that maybe a picture of Jon Kitna with his arm around Tyna Robertson behind the end zone might be appropriate at Soldier Field.

TMZ is reporting that Andre Johnson ordered 750 bicycles to be given to under privileged kids. In return Walmart agreed to provide water and ice for the event at which they would be given away. There was a problem with the order and, as a result, Walmart reneged on the agreement. Now they are trying to rectify the situation:

"We are reaching out to the Andre Johnson Foundation as we speak to rectify the situation. It's disappointing that this happened."

Translation: “You caught us and its disappointing that it happened. We'll start caring about kids when they allow us to start selling them.”

Lot's of Spygate stuff out there that I won't comment on in depth right now. To make a long story short, the most significant revelation to me was the one that the Jets were allegedly taping as well. This is the NFL's real fear and this is the real reason they want this story to go away. It's because they know very well how far it could spread.

I'm still very interested. This story has a lot of depth and a lot of angles that could keep it alive for a long time.

In terms of the how it relates to the Bears, I'll only say this. I couldn't prove it but in terms of very circumstantial evidence, I'll believe until the day I die that Mike Sherman was occasionally doing some shady things when he was Packers HC. For the record I have seen nothing to indicate those practices continued beyond his tenure with the team.

One Final Thought

Earl Campbell urges Cedric Benson to “take responsibility” and to not put himself in a situaiton that might require him to claim innocence. Earl needs to give one or two Chicago newspaper columnists a call to let them know as well. In any case:

“Right now, everybody remembers Cedric Benson by what happened up on the lake. Nobody remembers what a great football player he is …”

There's another very good reason we don't remember that, Earl...