Rookie WRs Bennett, Monk could provide sudden impact

Pixote

I am getting anxious to see these guys in preseason games. I think they will both turn out to be excellent WRs for the Bears and turn our WR corps into a very respectable one.

ProFootbalolWeekily.com The Way We Hear It - NFC North

Chicago

May 14, 2008

Rookie WRs Bennett, Monk could provide sudden impact

The Bears’ work-in-progress WR corps is widely considered ordinary at best, with the team’s OTAs set to begin early next week. With that in mind, the consensus among team insiders is that both rookie pass catchers Earl Bennett and Marcus Monk — drafted in the third and seventh rounds, respectively — have an opportunity to make their presence felt fairly quickly. That much was expected from Bennett, who excelled at Vanderbilt in the tough Southeastern Conference, but not necessarily Monk, who according to recent rookie minicamp observers, was more consistently impressive than the receiver the Bears drafted four rounds earlier. Bennett got off to a shaky start in the minicamp, appearing to have a bad case of the jitters initially, but he steadily improved as the camp wore on, to the point where he was catching every pass thrown his way by the time the final day had been completed. Monk, meanwhile, caught everything in sight from the get-go, according to one close observer. “He could be a serious sleeper,” the observer told PFW. “He doesn’t have a lot of speed, but his size (6-4, 222) and hands could make him a real red-zone weapon.” Could the emergence of Bennett and Monk result in the release of offseason acquisition Brandon Lloyd, as has been rumored around Halas Hall? PFW sources believe such a move wouldn’t make much sense, and that Lloyd figures to at least get a good opportunity to show that he belongs in an offense coordinated by Ron Turner, his college coach at Illinois.

If Lloyd was willing to contribute on special teams, he'd have a shot at the team. But since he isn't, and he is far from a no. 2, he has no spot on this team.

Has he satated he would be unwilling to play special teams for the Bears? He may have refused this role in the past but knowing this may be his last chance to keep his career in the NFL, he might be having a change of attitude.

IMHO if he was asked to play special teams and did want to........ he is truely stupid. That's one way of making the team if you aren't the best WR. If the other WR gets hurt then who will they play...the special team guy. But just love for the game should want you to play any postion the coach tells you to play, just as long as you are playing and not on the bench watching someone else play.

name='Pixote' date='May 25 2008, 06:44 AM' post='39466']

I am getting anxious to see these guys in preseason games. I think they will both turn out to be excellent WRs for the Bears and turn our WR corps into a very respectable one.

ProFootbalolWeekily.com The Way We Hear It - NFC North

I just hope Clark and Olsen can stay healthy for the season. I see us in a 2TE set a lot this year. Plus, I see us rushing 35+ times a game. I no way do have confidence in our WR's this year.

I am not saying a negative thing about Bennett and Monk. I like both, and gave Angie props drafting for each. But it just seems like every year we get caught up in talking about this new young WR or that new young WR.

Bates and Booker were each taken day one, and many had high hopes for each. We actually had some players this year, and this was the year MRob went off for 1,400 yards. Engram also had a big year, and fell just shy of 1,000. Conway contributed, when healthy, in a limited role. But w/ these three, the young never had much of an opportunity.

Dez White was a steal. A late 1st, early 2nd round value that fell to us in the 3rd. He would provide pure speed we simply didn't have, even w/ MRob. He had the downfield ability, but not the hands or tracking ability. Bates and Booker were getting raves, and there were high hopes. I believe this year we also added Kennison to add yet more speed. No one could stop us downfield.

David Terrell, the answer to all our problems. While we drafted other WRs w/ potential, here was a true stud. A #1 WR to lead us to the promise land. Also draft Capel late, and he too drew some praise w/ track speed and all.

Jamin Elliot - After spending so many picks on WRs, we sort of took a year off. But heading into camp, there was none the less tons of talk about all the young, developing WRs we had who were ready to break out. But other than Booker, this was a total failure at the WR position.

Wade and Gage came along. Wade would be our new Engram. Gage was that tall WR who could go up and get the ball above smaller DBs. Once again, we were simply loaded w/ young WR talent. From David Terrell ready to step up to the new young talent in Wade and Gage.

Berrian. Once again, we get a solid size WR w/ great deep speed. Another steal.

Bradley was more raw than some other WRs we had drafted, but may have been more gifted than all.

Hester was taken in round 2, and many fans the day of the draft (myself included) expected us to line him up at WR. For some reason, Lovie thought he was a DB. Wow, Berrian, Bradley and Hester. Awesome.

No WR drafted this year, but we took Olsen in the 1st. Further, we were moving Hester to WR, Berrian was going to take that final step, and Bradley was ready to breakout.

Now we have drafted Bennett in the 3rd, and Monk in the 7th. And while I can understand and find it easy to get caught up in the hype, at the same time, the above listed history makes me a bit reserved.

I do think Bennett and Monk can be good WRs, but expecting much this year may be too much. If we had an upper tier QB, not to mention offense in general, maybe you could expect a bit more, but to expect a rookie WR to bust out in a situation like ours may be a bit of a reach.

I do think Bennett and Monk can be good WRs, but expecting much this year may be too much. If we had an upper tier QB, not to mention offense in general, maybe you could expect a bit more, but to expect a rookie WR to bust out in a situation like ours may be a bit of a reach.

Agreed. In general, WRs take 2 to 3 yrs to develop. Anything we get from this yr will be a positive.

Peace :dabears

name='AZ54' date='May 25 2008, 11:56 AM' post='39491']

Catching a football when nobody is hitting you is easy. I'll wait until the preseason games to see who's doing what.

Honestly, regarding drops, can it be any worse than Berrian and Moose last year?

What I worry about is rapport with the QB and run support. While Moose couldn't separate from wax paper, he could hold a block. Berrian, would simply draw his man away as a deep threat. Add to that how bad the OL was, without good support from the WR's our run game would have been less than non-existent.

It was reported that Lloyd is running with the first team offense since Mark Bradley got hurt. Now we're rumored to want to cut him??? How do you sign a some-what high profile guy in March and cut him in May without any reason? It's not going to happen. If he sucks, cut him September 1st. There's no point in dumping him now. I'm one of the few guys who are genuinely optimistic about Lloyd.

We're hearing how Bennett & Monk are catching everything. Don't we hear that every year from some WR who gets cut? Can they run routes? Can they block? I'm happy as hell to hear good things about them, but I'm not counting on much from them. Is Monk better then Hass who also catches everything?

Didn't Hass catch everything as well? Just seems like the feel-good stories that accompany new draft picks.

There is no way Lloyd just gets released, especially with Turner there. He will get every opportunity to stick around.

I am not saying a negative thing about Bennett and Monk. I like both, and gave Angie props drafting for each. But it just seems like every year we get caught up in talking about this new young WR or that new young WR.

Bates and Booker were each taken day one, and many had high hopes for each. We actually had some players this year, and this was the year MRob went off for 1,400 yards. Engram also had a big year, and fell just shy of 1,000. Conway contributed, when healthy, in a limited role. But w/ these three, the young never had much of an opportunity.

Dez White was a steal. A late 1st, early 2nd round value that fell to us in the 3rd. He would provide pure speed we simply didn't have, even w/ MRob. He had the downfield ability, but not the hands or tracking ability. Bates and Booker were getting raves, and there were high hopes. I believe this year we also added Kennison to add yet more speed. No one could stop us downfield.

David Terrell, the answer to all our problems. While we drafted other WRs w/ potential, here was a true stud. A #1 WR to lead us to the promise land. Also draft Capel late, and he too drew some praise w/ track speed and all.

Jamin Elliot - After spending so many picks on WRs, we sort of took a year off. But heading into camp, there was none the less tons of talk about all the young, developing WRs we had who were ready to break out. But other than Booker, this was a total failure at the WR position.

Wade and Gage came along. Wade would be our new Engram. Gage was that tall WR who could go up and get the ball above smaller DBs. Once again, we were simply loaded w/ young WR talent. From David Terrell ready to step up to the new young talent in Wade and Gage.

Berrian. Once again, we get a solid size WR w/ great deep speed. Another steal.

Bradley was more raw than some other WRs we had drafted, but may have been more gifted than all.

Hester was taken in round 2, and many fans the day of the draft (myself included) expected us to line him up at WR. For some reason, Lovie thought he was a DB. Wow, Berrian, Bradley and Hester. Awesome.

No WR drafted this year, but we took Olsen in the 1st. Further, we were moving Hester to WR, Berrian was going to take that final step, and Bradley was ready to breakout.

Now we have drafted Bennett in the 3rd, and Monk in the 7th. And while I can understand and find it easy to get caught up in the hype, at the same time, the above listed history makes me a bit reserved.

You know, it's funny. I was just thinking to myself, "These guys have tons of talent, and even more potential." Then I thought to myself, "Yeah, but it doesn't matter, because they will not be used appropriately, and I'll be disappointed by the passing game yet again." Then I read your post. Dead on. The Bears have not had a competent OC who understood a potent passing game for quite some time. I truly believe the talent has been there, and has been horribly mismanaged.

I just hope Clark and Olsen can stay healthy for the season. I see us in a 2TE set a lot this year. Plus, I see us rushing 35+ times a game. I no way do have confidence in our WR's this year.

Good point there. I kind of expected more of this last year. With Smith basically saying, "pound the ball, pound the ball" I figure we'll see many, many plays to TEs. Here's hoping Olsen shows he can block. That will make it all the more likely to be effective.

Tom S.

It is going to be very important to get a lot of production out of Clark/Olsen. These guys, along with Booker are the only proven offensive assets on the roster. I still believe that the Bears are being incredibly foolish putting so much hope in the hands of your WR's, especially ones who are completely unproven and aren't high draft picks (Because the reality is, higher picks are safer options for the most part). Plus, WR's tend to not have an immediate impact in the NFL (as there are a lot of subtle nuances to the game).

Hey Calvin Johnson and his 42nd ranking 756 yards receiving would beg to disagree with you. :) That makes Moose's 570 yards look like a steal when you compare contracts. Or look at Berrian's 26th ranked 951 yards both of which were done with a pathetic Oline.