Nice Little TidBit on Forte

Guest TerraTor

Guest TerraTor

7. At least one key member of the Chicago coaching staff had rookie RB Matt Forte ranked higher than former Illinois RB Rashard Mendenhall.

A league source told Scout.com that when Matt Forte went through his paces at a private workout for Chicago and showed his football intelligence during a film session, at least one influential member of the coaching staff was set on adding him to the roster over Mendenhall.

So even though Mendenhall was available to the Bears when they made their first pick at No. 14 overall, they opted to select OT Chris Williams instead. That allowed the Steelers to snag Mendenhall at No. 23. Chicago patiently waited until the 13th pick in the second round and still got the running back it wanted.

Forte's a calm, focused young man who takes this game very seriously. He runs strong inside the tackles, has the agility to get around the end, and is a skilled receiver. And with an unstable quarterback position in Chicago, Forte's willing and skillful blocking should help the Bears complete a few more passes to their receivers and tight ends. Don't be surprised to see him win the starter's job during training camp, or by the midpoint of the season at worst.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8171418...call-with-Forte?

1. I wonder who it was that was so in love with Forte?

2. I wonder what his track record is with other picks? Did he like Curtis Enis as well?

3. I wonder if it will matter how much thinner Benson looks and how impressive Forte is as a rookie if the OL still stinks?

As bad as our Oline was last year we know it will be better this year for a couple reasons. One, we have a guy who can actually play LT on his own. He won't be stellar this year but I think he'll be as good as Tait was last year which was adequate. Tait at RT is a huge upgrade over Miller. Garza and Kreutz should be as good as last year so that leaves the LG position. We know St Clair can play this spot better than Metcalf but we also have a few other guys competing for it as well. I figure St Clair is not the first option but he is our fall back plan. So with our starters I think we'll be better, what worries me is the depth. We must have one of the young OGs step up or we have problems.

1. I wonder who it was that was so in love with Forte?

2. I wonder what his track record is with other picks? Did he like Curtis Enis as well?

3. I wonder if it will matter how much thinner Benson looks and how impressive Forte is as a rookie if the OL still stinks?

1. Don't know

2. Why even ask that? There is nobody in the front office or on the coaching staff from way back then.

3. I don't think the oline will be as bad unless there are injuries.

1. Don't know

2. Why even ask that? There is nobody in the front office or on the coaching staff from way back then.

3. I don't think the oline will be as bad unless there are injuries.

2. Why ask? It doesn't matter if the guy who "liked Forte" was with the Bears. I just chose the easiest person from memory since I'm a Bears fan. If the guy who allegedly liked Forte so much also has a track record of liking a bunch of busts, then his reliability declines, and there is a lessened amount of excitement about how much a certain guy with the Bears liked Forte.

I think his point is specific to your mentioning Enis.

Enis was drafted 10 years ago. There is not a single coach I know of on the staff today that was on the staff then. Further, while it is possible there are some scouts, I think it unlikely since all reports talked about how much turnover there was in the scouting department after Angelo took over.

So while I agree, and he likely would too, that the track record of the guy who is touting Forte does matter, I think your inclusion of Enis is what threw off your point.

W/ a host of offensive busts, I think your point could have been far more valid if you included one of the more recent players, rather than one from 10 years ago.

I'm very excited to have Forte here. He has the tools to be a very good NFL back and seems like a complete collegiate player and that completeness should help him transition to the NFL game.

As am I. I'm calling a 800 yard season from him, giving the fact that I think he'll split time with Ced.

I think his point is specific to your mentioning Enis.

Enis was drafted 10 years ago. There is not a single coach I know of on the staff today that was on the staff then. Further, while it is possible there are some scouts, I think it unlikely since all reports talked about how much turnover there was in the scouting department after Angelo took over.

So while I agree, and he likely would too, that the track record of the guy who is touting Forte does matter, I think your inclusion of Enis is what threw off your point.

W/ a host of offensive busts, I think your point could have been far more valid if you included one of the more recent players, rather than one from 10 years ago.

When we drafted Enis, I remember the Chicago media saying, "There are 5 'can't miss' guys in this draft, and the Bears are going to get one of them!" Those can't miss guys turned out to be:

1. P Manning--Turned out ok

2. Leaf--wow

3. Adre Wadsworth--Almost as bad as leaf

4. Charles Woodsen--Turned out ok

5. Enis--See Wadsworth

I got this from the NFL.com site http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft...mp;round=round1

I always find it fascinating to look at these things once in a while. Like for instance the Medicine Woman was a 3rd round pick to Jacksonville just ahead of Brian Griese and well ahead of Matt Hasselback, who went in the 6th round.

Heck, I'd forgotten R.W. McQuarters was a 1st rounder.

Honestly, I still wonder today what Enis might have been if he had not blown out his knee. He was just starting to look good his rookie year when he blew out his knee, and never was jack after. After his retirement, I read he basically had a new knee put in, which only speaks to how bad his injury truly was.

Some players, like Leaf, simply sucked. Others were busts due to injury, and I simply think you have to look at them a bit different. Columbo could be an example. For us, he was a bust. He never did jack for us, but that was due largely to injury. Now, w/ Dallas, his is healthy and has turned into a solid starting OT.

name='bradjock' date='May 28 2008, 10:14 PM' post='39657']

When we drafted Enis, I remember the Chicago media saying, "There are 5 'can't miss' guys in this draft, and the Bears are going to get one of them!"

Sad thing is, they said the same thing about Benson. I remember the Enis situation well; the contract negotiation that kept him out of TC was well talked about. He comes in out of shape and underperforms, then blows his knee out just as he is finding his niche. Bout like Benson his rookie season, except we had TJ to keep him off the field. Last year, he comes in reportedly out of shape, finds his rhythm and promptly breaks his ankle. I hope the story starts to change...

Great find!

It is intesting looking back in hindsight...

When we drafted Enis, I remember the Chicago media saying, "There are 5 'can't miss' guys in this draft, and the Bears are going to get one of them!" Those can't miss guys turned out to be:

1. P Manning--Turned out ok

2. Leaf--wow

3. Adre Wadsworth--Almost as bad as leaf

4. Charles Woodsen--Turned out ok

5. Enis--See Wadsworth

I got this from the NFL.com site http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft...mp;round=round1

I always find it fascinating to look at these things once in a while. Like for instance the Medicine Woman was a 3rd round pick to Jacksonville just ahead of Brian Griese and well ahead of Matt Hasselback, who went in the 6th round.

Heck, I'd forgotten R.W. McQuarters was a 1st rounder.