Lovie ready to let QB competition go until.

GakMan23

Bears | Quarterback competition could be long one

Mon, 2 Jun 2008 07:46:06 -0700

The Associated Press reports Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith said he is prepared to let QB Rex Grossman and QB Kyle Orton compete for the team's starting quarterback job until the fourth game of the preseason. "Ideally you would like to have someone in place going into that last week of the preseason," Smith said. "But we'll just let it play out. If it's not clear by then, we'll let it go right up until (preseason's end)."

:banghead

I hope this is just him blowing smoke and given his $4 million salary he better be able to decipher which guy is the better QB before then. Whoever it is needs the last couple preseason games to work with the first team so we have some chance at scoring points against Indy.

I hope this is just him blowing smoke and given his $4 million salary he better be able to decipher which guy is the better QB before then. Whoever it is needs the last couple preseason games to work with the first team so we have some chance at scoring points against Indy.

I think we know who Lovie thinks is the better quarterback. However, if he keeps the competition open all the way through the preseason than he will have an easier time justifying his choice.

I think we know who Lovie thinks is the better quarterback. However, if he keeps the competition open all the way through the preseason than he will have an easier time justifying his choice.

Or he doesn't know is a$$ from a hole in the ground and he knows this decision can make or break his and JA's career in Chicago. So, he's already putting his disclaimer out there to make it look like he knows what he's doing. IMO - If Oton looks good in camp, it's his to lose. Remember how good the #2 looks in the 1st 3 pre-season games? Last year it was griese looking like a stud. Just imagine how Rex will look????

I think it is more a simple acknowledgment that many QBs look good in practice, but only in games do you get a true picture. While preseason games are not equal to regular season, they are a step above practice. So how each QB looks when they get starts in preseason games will go a LONG way toward deciding who is our starting QB.

I think a decision is made no later than the 3rd preseason game. The 4th game is worthless, as most teams do not keep starters in for more than a series or two at the most, as they are simply trying to avoid injuries. I think each QB gets a start in the 1st two games, and the one who looks better starts the 3rd. If that QB looks good again, he is the starter for the season.

Based on our history alone, I would say not only is it likely both start at some point this year, but would add it is likely one of the undrafted QBs get a start as well.

I dunno. The recent year where we didn't use 3 and wasn't the year we went to the SB, Orton was the guy that didn't get injured. Orton seems pretty durable and I doubt he would get benched for one of the rookies due to poor play if Rex gets injured.

I think 2 starters this year at most. Heck, last time we only used 2, we went 11-5 and had a home game in the playoffs.

I dunno. The recent year where we didn't use 3 and wasn't the year we went to the SB, Orton was the guy that didn't get injured. Orton seems pretty durable and I doubt he would get benched for one of the rookies due to poor play if Rex gets injured.

I think 2 starters this year at most. Heck, last time we only used 2, we went 11-5 and had a home game in the playoffs.

Agreed. Kyle has been very durable. Further, Kyle or Rex will not get benched for a rook.

Peace :dabears

Kyle is durable because he'll throw the ball in the dirt before taking a hit. Not that that is always a bad thing but it demonstrates the difference between Rex and Orton's personalities. Rex always wants to make a big play and in the end that leads him to force throws that have bad consequences. Orton plays like he's ok waiting for a big play later. There's a middle ground where you want your QB to reside the question is which of these two will get there first, if ever.

I also think Orton fits our current offense much better. That doesnt mean I think Grossman is bad, I just think our current roster doesnt suit his strengths at all. He would be much better served on a team like Minnesota. Good running game, good offensive line and some speed at WR to stretch the field.

What if neither (Rex/Orton) prove that good this year, and as a team, we are not winning.

At the end of the season, would it not make more sense to give a couple starts to one of the rookies to see what they can do, rather than simply continue to throw Rex/Orton out there if we are out of the playoff hunt?

I agree Orton has been more durable, but at the same time, while he may not have the questions of health, he does have the question of ability.

I would love nothing more than to actually have one QB start every game this year, or have a 2nd w/ a couple short term starts. But I still think our history points to a 3rd QB getting PT or even a start. I would further argue that, while we have made improvements, our OL is still a big question mark, and that can lead to more QB changes, and in a hurry.

What if neither (Rex/Orton) prove that good this year, and as a team, we are not winning.

At the end of the season, would it not make more sense to give a couple starts to one of the rookies to see what they can do, rather than simply continue to throw Rex/Orton out there if we are out of the playoff hunt?

I agree Orton has been more durable, but at the same time, while he may not have the questions of health, he does have the question of ability.

I would love nothing more than to actually have one QB start every game this year, or have a 2nd w/ a couple short term starts. But I still think our history points to a 3rd QB getting PT or even a start. I would further argue that, while we have made improvements, our OL is still a big question mark, and that can lead to more QB changes, and in a hurry.

If that happened I could see them starting one of the UFA's or possibly going after someone like Simms/Leftwich to spot start.

That would make sense, but I seriously doubt our stubborn staff would do it.