A little leadership from Harris

AZ54

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1016781,harris062008.stng

Harris: 'Classy' talks led to deal

June 20, 2008 FROM THE ASSOCIATED PRESS Tommie Harris says the talks that led to his four-year, $40 million contract with the Chicago Bears were businesslike and ''classy.''

Speaking at a morning news conference at Halas Hall, the defensive tackle said he and Bears management kept negotiations private in reaching a deal that will keep him with Chicago through 2012.

That differs from what has happened between the team and linebackers Brian Urlacher and Lance Briggs. They've both gone public with complaints and either hinted or threatened holdouts.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's nice to see this comment from a player after the way Briggs and Urlacher and Lovie have handled their contract negotiations the last couple years. However, had this deal not been done this year I wouldn't have put it past Harris to keep things out of the media.

Tommie has always come off in the public light as a classy guy. No one really know about in private...but from everything I've seen and heard about and from him, he sounds like a stand-up dude.

I hope he takes a larger role being a leadr for the defense and team as a whole. I'm sure Mike Brown is still the vocal leader and Urlacher is the "lead by example" leader...but I'd like to see Tommie get more involved in that area.

I'm just happy to have him locked up and happy. I feel as though our D will always be one to deal with for many years to come. Now to just get some kind of positive out of our O...

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1016781,harris062008.stng

Harris: 'Classy' talks led to deal

June 20, 2008 FROM THE ASSOCIATED PRESS Tommie Harris says the talks that led to his four-year, $40 million contract with the Chicago Bears were businesslike and ''classy.''

Speaking at a morning news conference at Halas Hall, the defensive tackle said he and Bears management kept negotiations private in reaching a deal that will keep him with Chicago through 2012.

That differs from what has happened between the team and linebackers Brian Urlacher and Lance Briggs. They've both gone public with complaints and either hinted or threatened holdouts.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's nice to see this comment from a player after the way Briggs and Urlacher and Lovie have handled their contract negotiations the last couple years. However, had this deal not been done this year I wouldn't have put it past Harris to keep things out of the media.

You know what impressed me the most? The last 2 paragraphs of the story on the Bears website about Harris:

"It was the principle of the whole deal. I wanted this deal done because the NFL gave me a price tag. I don't believe any NFL player deserves the amount of money that we do get. But in the business that we're in, they give us tags and say, 'This guy's worth this, this guy's worth that.' We play a game—a kids' game—and get paid a king's ransom.

"I'm just fortunate to be able to be in this position and I will make the Bears organization proud. I'm ready to go out there and continue to keep being the best defensive tackle in the league."

When was the last time you heard a player say they do not think players should be getting the money they get paid? I do not think I have ever heard a player say that.

Then the fact that the first thing on his mind is that he wants to make the Bears' organization proud.

I think I will now finally go out and buy a new Bears Jersey. It will not be 54, although I love Url, it will be 91.

You know what impressed me the most? The last 2 paragraphs of the story on the Bears website about Harris:

When was the last time you heard a player say they do not think players should be getting the money they get paid? I do not think I have ever heard a player say that.

Then the fact that the first thing on his mind is that he wants to make the Bears' organization proud.

I think I will now finally go out and buy a new Bears Jersey. It will not be 54, although I love Url, it will be 91.

It feels good to not only have one of the best defensive players in the league locked up long term but for him to be saying things like this. Sometimes when guys sign a new deal you think their play might drop off a little but in Tommies case I think he will work harder to earn it. If we can do anything with our offense in the next year or two our defense has the pieces in place to compete for our division for years to come.

I agree with him and I think Harris' comments already reflect his leadership. The Bears have fairly rewarded their own players from Vasher, Tillman, Urlacher, Kreutz, Alex Brown, and (although he might disagree) Briggs. It seems clear Harris is now the face of our defense, and the entire team. Ced is rapidly becoming a distant memory.

I agree with him and I think Harris' comments already reflect his leadership. The Bears have fairly rewarded their own players from Vasher, Tillman, Urlacher, Kreutz, Alex Brown, and (although he might disagree) Briggs. It seems clear Harris is now the face of our defense, and the entire team. Ced is rapidly becoming a distant memory.

God I hope he stays healthy. He is such a beast!!!

For the first time since Harris has been on the team we might actually have a decent backup for his position in Harrison. He'll need to keep himself out of trouble but if he pans out we'll be able to rest Harris more often during games. That might help him later in games and more importantly later in the season when his performance usually fades.

He is, Urlacher might be seen to be the face of the franchise to non-Bear fans but it wont be long before Harris is.