Article on Special Teams Very interesting

Pixote

Special Teams Article at Bears Site

They just posted the 9th and final position article on the Bears Website. To be honest, the previous 8 I found very uninteresting as it seemed like typical coach-speak and gave really no information we did not already know or suspected.

This one actually was interesting to me and gave an insight to some changes in special teams that might take place. If you have yet to go to the team site (my home page, LOL) you should check out the article.

It talks about some changes being made in personel, a change in Goulds KO technique, players to keep an eye on with special teams, etc...

Good stuff!!

Special Teams Article at Bears Site

They just posted the 9th and final position article on the Bears Website. To be honest, the previous 8 I found very uninteresting as it seemed like typical coach-speak and gave really no information we did not already know or suspected.

This one actually was interesting to me and gave an insight to some changes in special teams that might take place. If you have yet to go to the team site (my home page, LOL) you should check out the article.

It talks about some changes being made in personel, a change in Goulds KO technique, players to keep an eye on with special teams, etc...

Good stuff!!

Agreed. I especially like reading how we scheme to get ready for the squib quicks. Like how we moved Idonije out of the wedge because teams would always try to kick it right to him. This also explains how McKie seems to end up with the ball so often on kick-offs. Compared to guys like Rashied Davis, AP, and Wolfe, he's probably the slowest of the group.

Great we have Wolfe in our wedge, that'll put fear into the coverage units. This single move would have to make a coach question whether it's better to do the squib kick or just go deep to Hester and try to run over our little wedge. As much as anything it's a bit of a chess match move. NOt only does Toub have to have hands guys up there he also needs blocking schemes for the short kicks. How much of this will we reveal in the preseason? I bet not much. And you won't see Hester back there for too many catches either, maybe a few fair catches just to get the feel for doing things live.

Great we have Wolfe in our wedge, that'll put fear into the coverage units. This single move would have to make a coach question whether it's better to do the squib kick or just go deep to Hester and try to run over our little wedge. As much as anything it's a bit of a chess match move. NOt only does Toub have to have hands guys up there he also needs blocking schemes for the short kicks. How much of this will we reveal in the preseason?

I actually think this is a good move. Think of it this way: If I were another team, I would on-side kick to the Bears on a more prequent basis. 1) to keep the ball away from Hester, while trying to steal a possession and, 2) feel comfortable with the odds that the offense won't make them pay. Imagine Wolfe squirting through a hole and dissappearing to the endzone.

Great we have Wolfe in our wedge, that'll put fear into the coverage units. This single move would have to make a coach question whether it's better to do the squib kick or just go deep to Hester and try to run over our little wedge.

I'll never forget the Minnesota game last year where Hester appeared to be boxed in by 4 players coming straight at him. All four had him dead to rights. Hester jukes and the next thing you know he's scoring a touchdown. One of the most unbelievable plays I've ever seen.

Sure they'll think about running over the wedge, but it's a gamble. You said it best when you called it a chess match.