Good News for the Bears?

Wesson44

Smith expressed confidence that Terrence Metcalf, Josh Beekman or John St. Clair will fill the void at left guard after the Bears declined to re-sign veteran Ruben Brown.

“One of them will step up in that role and give us the type of play we need,” Smith said.

At receiver, Smith praised offseason acquisition Brandon Lloyd and revealed that Mark Bradley will participate in the first training camp practice after recovering from offseason knee surgery.

“Brandon Lloyd has made as much progress and has looked as [good] as any of our players we’ve had in offseason work,” Smith said. “I’m anxious to see him take it to this next phase of getting ready for the season.

“Mark Bradley is healthy. We expect him to get back to his old form in training camp.”

name='Wesson44' date='Jul 23 2008, 12:33 AM' post='41884']

Smith expressed confidence that Terrence Metcalf, Josh Beekman or John St. Clair will fill the void at left guard after the Bears declined to re-sign veteran Ruben Brown.

“One of them will step up in that role and give us the type of play we need,” Smith said.

At receiver, Smith praised offseason acquisition Brandon Lloyd and revealed that Mark Bradley will participate in the first training camp practice after recovering from offseason knee surgery.

“Brandon Lloyd has made as much progress and has looked as [good] as any of our players we’ve had in offseason work,” Smith said. “I’m anxious to see him take it to this next phase of getting ready for the season.

“Mark Bradley is healthy. We expect him to get back to his old form in training camp.”

It's always good to hear good news, but I have a hard time believing anything Lovie says. I'm not calling Lovie out, because it's part of the game to be a BS artist. Just sayin...

exactly it's just like we weren't going to sign another RB and were happy with who we have. In the same way I think it's a smoke screen. No need to sound desperate at this point. I can see us quietly shopping around to see what's out there and who might come available due to cuts.

While St. Clair and Metcalf have had playing time Josh hasn't had much opportunity so he's a question mark in my mind. If the other two put the effort forth they might work out as well. I do see us adding someone before the regular season starts.

exactly it's just like we weren't going to sign another RB and were happy with who we have. In the same way I think it's a smoke screen. No need to sound desperate at this point. I can see us quietly shopping around to see what's out there and who might come available due to cuts.

While St. Clair and Metcalf have had playing time Josh hasn't had much opportunity so he's a question mark in my mind. If the other two put the effort forth they might work out as well. I do see us adding someone before the regular season starts.

Exactly, I think we'll do what we did with Jones. Look not quite as interested so that the player's agent has no leverage, and then we sign him at a lower price when he sees that the market isn't as generous as he thought. Who am I talking about? I would have to say bentley. So far the market for him has been minimal, just like jones. With such little interest I would have to think going to a team like the bears and having that opportunity to "showcase" the fact that you still have "it" would make the most sense. Anywhere else he goes he'd likely not be named the starter immediately, but chicago's line would be rather easy to break into as the clear cut starter. I suspect we just might see bentley in a bears uniform if he isn't offered a valuable contract by another team before the training camps end. I could be way off, but I believe this is a major reason we got Jones. He realized he wasn't going to get that mega deal due to injury concerns so he signed a minimal contract to make this a "prove it" year and since he could come here and have a good chance at if not starting but at least getting a good number of reps he chose us. If bentley's smart he'd do the same and maybe if he plays good we give him a good deal next year and lock up our oline for the future.

LG better be St. Clair. Metcalf is a fat lard and sucks, and Beekman doesn't have the mobility for LG.

How can we say he lacks mobility?

The problem is we have NO idea what Beekman is. He could be a stud. He could be a dud. He has not had a chance to show us anything. Many on the forum criticize the Bears coaching staff for their player evaluations. If that be the case, his not starting in the past should be ignored as an evaluation process. Hopefully he gets on the field this preseason and proves to us what he has to offer us now and in the future.

How can we say he lacks mobility?

The problem is we have NO idea what Beekman is. He could be a stud. He could be a dud. He has not had a chance to show us anything. Many on the forum criticize the Bears coaching staff for their player evaluations. If that be the case, his not starting in the past should be ignored as an evaluation process. Hopefully he gets on the field this preseason and proves to us what he has to offer us now and in the future.

I saw Beekman in college, he is strictly a C/RG.