This seems unlikely for the Bears but interesting none the less

xvflutop

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3512348

The Green Bay Packers, unable so far to trade Brett Favre and facing his arrival at training camp, are reportedly considering taking a step they desperately wanted to avoid: dealing him to a division rival.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, citing a source close to the situation, on Wednesday reported the Packers were considering seeking a deal with one of their rivals, most likely the Minnesota Vikings or Chicago Bears, if all else fails.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3512348

The Green Bay Packers, unable so far to trade Brett Favre and facing his arrival at training camp, are reportedly considering taking a step they desperately wanted to avoid: dealing him to a division rival.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, citing a source close to the situation, on Wednesday reported the Packers were considering seeking a deal with one of their rivals, most likely the Minnesota Vikings or Chicago Bears, if all else fails.

i don't see how we can pass on favre. even as old as he is he is so much better than anything on our squad at this point in time (or over the last 25 years for that matter) including the turnovers he brings.

he immediately opens up our running game which everyone seems to want desperately by actually making our passing game something that has to be accounted for by opposing defenses. his style of football works perfectly with the personnel and scheme we now employ. he gets rid of the ball in a hurry which helps our struggling OL, a TE fits perfectly into his style of football and we have two decent to good ones, he has worked with a multitude of young and new wide receivers and improved their game immensely, he is actually a good onfield leader, he fits the age timeframe for our aging talented players final run at a superbowl.

if angie doesn't at least make a play for him at this point he is stupid.

It's a live by the sword and die by the sword scenario to me. No way the Bears have a chance at the Super Bowl with the current QB'S.

Favre brought a far less talented "IMO" Packer team inches from the big game, he ultimately cost them with the OT pick, the season would certainly be more interesting with him on board us, rather than give the NFC to the Vikings if they can get him.

According to profootballtalk.com the Bears aren't interested in Favre.

DO BEARS WANT FAVRE? “NOT RIGHT NOW”

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 31, 2008, 3:25 p.m.

Even if the report that the Packers would consider trading Brett Favre to a division opponent is correct, it appears that the only NFC North team that wants Favre is the Vikings.

The Bears could also use a quarterback, but they appear set on going into the season with Kyle Orton or Rex Grossman as the starter and don’t want to add anyone.

‘‘Not right now,’’ offensive coordinator Ron Turner said when asked if he could picture Favre as a Bear. ‘‘Not with what we have. I like our quarterbacks. That’s not to say he’s not a great player, he’s one of the greatest players of all time. I love him. I love watching him. He’s a great player. Not at this time and in this situation. We’ve got two good quarterbacks.’’

A whole lot of fans and NFL observers would take issue with Turner’s claim that he has two good quarterbacks, but the point remains: The Bears say they’re not a part of the Favre sweepstakes. At least, not right now

i don't see how we can pass on favre. even as old as he is he is so much better than anything on our squad at this point in time (or over the last 25 years for that matter) including the turnovers he brings.

he immediately opens up our running game which everyone seems to want desperately by actually making our passing game something that has to be accounted for by opposing defenses. his style of football works perfectly with the personnel and scheme we now employ. he gets rid of the ball in a hurry which helps our struggling OL, a TE fits perfectly into his style of football and we have two decent to good ones, he has worked with a multitude of young and new wide receivers and improved their game immensely, he is actually a good onfield leader, he fits the age timeframe for our aging talented players final run at a superbowl.

if angie doesn't at least make a play for him at this point he is stupid.

3 points:

1st, even if the Bears wanted to sign Favre, how would they be able to afford the BIG $$$ he would want?

2nd, if we were interested could we publically say so without a claim of tampering with him, ala Minny

3rd, would Minny go after him? Wouldn't this strengthen the tampering charges they are facing from GBP & NFL?

Favre is already under conract so there would be no contract negotiation. We would have to pay him the $12mil/yr he is set to make.

There would be no tampering charge for dealing with the Packers about a Favre trade.

The NFL live guys said any trade between Min and GB would include an agreement to drop the tampering charges. Who knows if that is really the case.

I don't think Favre would choose the Bears over Min or TB anyway.

3 points:

1st, even if the Bears wanted to sign Favre, how would they be able to afford the BIG $$$ he would want?

2nd, if we were interested could we publically say so without a claim of tampering with him, ala Minny

3rd, would Minny go after him? Wouldn't this strengthen the tampering charges they are facing from GBP & NFL?

Coming in to Training camp, the Bears were 1 of 12 or so teams that actually had the cap space to trade for Favre straight up. But that was before the Urlacher and Hester deals. The Bears simply don't have the cap room right now to trade for him straight up for a draft pick, they'd have to clear a fair amount of cap space on their own in the deal. Either that or there'd have to be a contract renegotiation to cut down his cap hit.

There would be no tampering charge for dealing with the Packers about a Favre trade.

Of course, if we were dealing with GBP front office for a trade, no tampering charges, I know that.

I am saying, before this becomes official and GB gives permission, would it be tampering if the Bears made it public (and to Favre) that we wanted him to sign with us? That I believe would be tampering at this point, 7/31 @ 20:08. Tomorrow, depending on what GBP does, it might not be.

I'd rather go 0-16 than bring this guy in.

HIS OWN TEAM was willing to give him $20 million to shut up and fade into the sunset. Why would anyone desire this circus? He's a drama queen crybaby and I hope his ego is crushed this year playing for the Vikings. Nothing would be better than watching Favre in purple, growing his interception record to insurmountable numbers such that he still holds that record when I'm 90 years old. And having him do so while destroying the Viking's season would only make it sweeter.

Anyone who wants this guy on the team isn't a true Bears fan. That's just my opinion so don't get insulted.

I'd rather go 0-16 than bring this guy in.

HIS OWN TEAM was willing to give him $20 million to shut up and fade into the sunset. Why would anyone desire this circus? He's a drama queen crybaby and I hope his ego is crushed this year playing for the Vikings. Nothing would be better than watching Favre in purple, growing his interception record to insurmountable numbers such that he still holds that record when I'm 90 years old. And having him do so while destroying the Viking's season would only make it sweeter.

Anyone who wants this guy on the team isn't a true Bears fan. That's just my opinion so don't get insulted.

Cracker, first and formost, as a Chicago fan you should hate the Packers. It is correct to hate Packer players, but once they move on to another team . . .

Secondly Cracker, I know you live near Chicago, so I know you must remember when Jerry Krause said something like, "I can't wait until Michael Jordan's gone so I can start building another championship franchise."

Right.

Bears fans should rejoice!!! at Green Bay's ignorance.

The fact is, right now Favre is better then any quarterback we've had since Sid Luckman. I'd be THRILLED to have him.

If for no other reason: How pissed would Packer fans be??? Does anyone believe that Aaron Rogers is any better then Rex Grossman? God they'd deplore it. That'd be great!!

That being said, it won't happen. The Bears don't like the fact he costs too much & there's too much baggage with him.

I understand your hate for Favre, I'd be jealous too since we've never had a real QB.

Lets relate that to a girl you fell in love with long ago and she married the kid you faught with every day in the neighborhood. She was the most beautiful girl in the world and how can she be with Willy "no tooth" Williams. We'll twenty years later, she stills looks pretty dang good and is now single. You hadn't had a women in over twenty years and she is showing a lot of interest in you.

It's kinda tempting, right? You really don't want to touch her b/c she was with no tooth, but then again you hadn't had any in a couple of decades.

Some guys stay morally strong and resist the temptation, others see a good piece and want to jump all over it. To each there own.

I don't see it happening mainly b/c of the business side of it, we couldn't afford it and it would cost us our future.

I understand your hate for Favre, I'd be jealous too since we've never had a real QB.

Lets relate that to a girl you fell in love with long ago and she married the kid you faught with every day in the neighborhood. She was the most beautiful girl in the world and how can she be with Willy "no tooth" Williams. We'll twenty years later, she stills looks pretty dang good and is now single. You hadn't had a women in over twenty years and she is showing a lot of interest in you.

It's kinda tempting, right? You really don't want to touch her b/c she was with no tooth, but then again you hadn't had any in a couple of decades.

Some guys stay morally strong and resist the temptation, others see a good piece and want to jump all over it. To each there own.

I don't see it happening mainly b/c of the business side of it, we couldn't afford it and it would cost us our future.

LOL! Instant classic.

that was great! btw...i'm all for favre and my packer friends are pissed, which im loven even more

It's a live by the sword and die by the sword scenario to me. No way the Bears have a chance at the Super Bowl with the current QB'S.

Favre brought a far less talented "IMO" Packer team inches from the big game, he ultimately cost them with the OT pick, the season would certainly be more interesting with him on board us, rather than give the NFC to the Vikings if they can get him.

Yeah, because it's not like the Bears made it there in the recent past with the same QBs and a weaker supporting cast on the team overall. Now, if THAT had happened, then your point wouldn't make sense.

You left something out. That girl caught herpes from Willy "no tooth" Williams. Therefore, she's verboten.

Rather have the Bears go 0-16 than sign Favre? Wow. I might not have liked him when he was on Green Bay but I respected the hell out of him. If he went to us or the Vikings he instantly makes that team the favorite in the division. Like I said before, as long as its not some scumbag like Pacman Jones I would want to add any player that makes our team better and gives us a better chance to win. I dont see how anyone wouldnt. How can you rather have the Bears go 0-16 than to sign a guy who makes them contenders in the NFC immediately? Its not like he trashes our organization or anything either, you guys just hate him because he played well against us in the past.

I used to respect him, until he came out on national TV, balled his eyes out, and now he wants back in when the team made it clear they have moved on. "Why don't you want me?" Because they moved on, dope. "The Packers are better with him then with Rodgers", yeah, and Miami is better with Matt Ryan then Henne, yet they took Long to rebuild. The Pack are sort of rebuilding yet expect to compete, which is understandable. On the other hand, Brett thinks it's a stupid choice by Green Bay and all that other garbage. Go away, you piece of crap. You're tainting your legacy of a team guy and a guy who, even by rival teams' fans, are respected- you couldn't say that about any other QB besides maybe Peyton because people hate Brady because of the spy-gate.

All in all, the team wants to move on. Go away, and we don't need your BS here every offseason of whether you're staying or going.

3 points:

1. now would be the time to roll them dice for a ring and damn the cap for the next 3 years. there may not even be one after that amount of time anyway so if angelo gets the chance to sign a player that makes us a real contender for the superbowl immediately for the next 2-3 years and can't figure out a way to do it he's an idiot.

if we wait to groom the crap (compared to favre) at qb we have now or have to draft another high first day pick, url, m. brown, ogie and peanut, tait, booker and kreutz are either going to be up there in age and falling in talent or just plain gone. so that leaves us hoping one of our qb's can even play average and nobody gets hurt on offense or defense to get to the championship game while they are still viable players.

2. agree and i hope turner was using this ploy because if he in truth really likes our qb situation more than bringing in a pro-bowl hall of fame qb even at his age he is a complete buffoon.

3. absolutely yes! if the vikes field even an aging qb with the talent favre has THEY contend for a superbowl spot instantly. plus, what would they have to lose by doing so? if they are going to be prosecuted by the nfl i say they go as a lion instead of the lamb anyway.

my thoughts: i think favre knows more about football in the nfl than turner ever dreamed of and could over-rule stupid calls by our great OC on the field without too much feedback from our coaching staff. that also plays to an advantage of bringing him in. it's a win win situation for us to do so.

some people on here seem to hate favre more than a world championship. i just don't see it. i hate the cowboys more than any team on earth but i still would have taken aikman any day of the week. i think favre has 2 years and >maybe

Rather have the Bears go 0-16 than sign Favre? Wow. I might not have liked him when he was on Green Bay but I respected the hell out of him. If he went to us or the Vikings he instantly makes that team the favorite in the division. Like I said before, as long as its not some scumbag like Pacman Jones I would want to add any player that makes our team better and gives us a better chance to win. I dont see how anyone wouldnt. How can you rather have the Bears go 0-16 than to sign a guy who makes them contenders in the NFC immediately? Its not like he trashes our organization or anything either, you guys just hate him because he played well against us in the past.

No, I hate him because he's a douche.

PS. What the hell does "The Bunny + Mike Vick = DrunkBomber" mean? I've cogitated on that one on a number of occasions and don't get it.