Fumbled snaps

KiLoc69

Man I hate fumbled snaps!

All our QBs have had a few this preseason (Orton had another one yesterday from Beekman). My question is, are we overreacting to them happening in practice due in part to Rex's history? Is it possible every other team is seeing the same amount of fumbled snaps since guys are just shaking the rust off?

I hope this isn't gonna be an issue again during the season, regardless of who the QB is.

Wait, i thought it's all Rex's fault and Orton is a hero? :rolleyes:

Seeing as if how it never happened to Orton in 2005 and yet it happened a ton to Rex in 2006 and 2007, it probably is Rex's fault. Orton fumbled the snap from Beekman, a 2nd year player, not Olin, so it was probably a young player mistake. A veteran center in Kreutz who is one of the best ever at his position doesn't have a weak spot like that thus it is Rex's fault.

I'm pretty sure Orton has fumbled a few more snaps than Rex this training camp. I don't know the exact count but its at least a few more. As far as I'm concerned its practice, this is the time to get it out of the way. I also know that the Bears have had issues with the QB/Center exchange ever since Olin has been here (its not just been with Rex).

And I've seen it written multiple places that Olin doesn't snap the ball like a prototypical center does. Does that mean he isn't one of the best centers in the game, no, but by no means is he perfect as a football player.

I'll worry once the regular season starts...but I also look historically, and Rex doesn't inspire a lot of hope in that department.

I do have the think most camps have similar issues...

Maybe a more telling sign will be the actual pre-season games.

Man I hate fumbled snaps!

All our QBs have had a few this preseason (Orton had another one yesterday from Beekman). My question is, are we overreacting to them happening in practice due in part to Rex's history? Is it possible every other team is seeing the same amount of fumbled snaps since guys are just shaking the rust off?

I hope this isn't gonna be an issue again during the season, regardless of who the QB is.

Seeing as if how it never happened to Orton in 2005 and yet it happened a ton to Rex in 2006 and 2007, it probably is Rex's fault. Orton fumbled the snap from Beekman, a 2nd year player, not Olin, so it was probably a young player mistake. A veteran center in Kreutz who is one of the best ever at his position doesn't have a weak spot like that thus it is Rex's fault.

Sir, Orton fumbled 6 times in 2005.

it depends on who the center is. If a QB works with a center for a long time, it should never happen. However, when you are receiving snaps from a center you are unfamiliar with, it takes some adjusting. The ball comes in perhaps a bit quicker or later than it did with the other guy, and perhaps at a different angle. However, they are inexcusable when they happen in the game.

The ones with Grossman during the past seasons were obviously his fault. Anyone with half a brain could see that he was jumpy and pulled out too early. When you have a QB-C combo of Rex and Olin that have worked with each other all through training camp, and the season, they should never, EVER happen!

How many of the snaps are the result of switching QBs back and forth with the #1 offense? Then we switch centers when Kreutz got back on the field. The QB battle is good but I think Lovie should make his decision before the third preseason game so everyone can settle down and know what to expect including the WRs, TE, RB who are also unsure who the starters are.

Sir, Orton fumbled 6 times in 2005.

Thanks for finding that stat. I didn't know that. But how many were from mishandled snaps & how many from fumbles. If a guy is getting ready to throw & then gets blind-sided, there's not a helluva a lot he can do about it. It's the result of bad protection. Although Orton has much better pocket-presence then Rex.

When Rex mishandles snaps, there always seems to be a lack of concentration on his part. With Rex it also seems like it's a chronic problem. I'm sure Kyle has mishandled a snap, but they've been so few and far between that they don't stick out.

Also with Rex, there was the game last year where he was scrambling (for once) towards the goal-line, and he flat out dropped the ball. He didn't get hit, it just popped out of his hands.

If this was Rex's only problem with "ball control" I don't think it would be a big deal. But with all the interceptions, all the sacks, and then you throw in mishandled snaps on top of it . . . I always feel as if it's just as likely that he'll move the ball backwards then forwards.

I honestly don't care who's fault it is. I just want to see us work it out. This has been going on long enough know and you would have to think by now the coaches would be able to nip it in the bud, so to say.

My thoughts exactly, at the end of the day we can finger-point who is worse, who's at fault, and reason it out any way we like to support our opinion, but the fact remains it's happening and it shouldn't be. Rex, Kyle, and Griese all have fumbled snaps while playing with Kruetz. If the center tends to throw the ball back and release to his blocking assignment too soon it can cause a fumble. If the QB closes his hands too quickly, the ball will hit the back of his hand rather than his palm. It's unfair to blanket statement say it's Rex's fault, it's Orton's fault, it's Greise's fault, or it's Olin's fault. Getting the snap from center is one of the most fundamental aspects of the game. This should not be an issue at the pro level. Whatever the issue is it must stop now.