Status of Bears rookie Williams up in the air - PFW

Pixote

Status of Bears rookie Williams up in the air

Article from the way we hear it - PFW:

Chicago

Aug. 14, 2008

Status of Bears rookie Williams up in the air

Should first-round OLT Chris Williams be considered a nonfactor this coming season after suffering a herniated lumbar disc that is expected to keep him on the shelf for at least the next three months? “It really depends on how the team is doing,” a veteran team insider told PFW. “The Bears are optimistic that he could be back practicing by midseason, but if they’re really struggling and going nowhere at the halfway point, they very well could decide to keep him off the field all season.” We hear it’s also quite possible that OLG Terrence Metcalf, who is currently recuperating from arthroscopic knee surgery, might also have a hard time getting back on the field — but for different reasons. “He should be back in about two weeks,” the insider said, “but if either Josh Beekman or Anthony Oakley do well enough at left guard while he’s still out, it wouldn’t be a shock if they just let Metcalf go, considering how unimpressive he’s been in his time with the team.” By all accounts, Beekman played pretty well in his first full-scale action at left guard as the starter in the preseason opener vs. Kansas City. As for the rumors that the team might be interested in re-signing former Bears O-linemen Fred Miller and Ruben Brown, we hear that’s a long shot. “If they were really interested in either one of them, they would have been here by now,” the insider said.

But the statements about Oakley and Beekman are certainly encouraging.

How much of a statement was made about the two? All it really said is that IF either step up, Metcalf could be gone. Other than saying Beekman did okay in the first pre-season game, which we all have said too, they really didn't offer anything more regarding the two, and said nothing about the play of Oakley.

Not picking a fight here, just pointing out they didn't really say much more than the two have a shot.

Guest TerraTor

But seriously is it not a valid point? I mean what the hell is wrong with this friggin organization? You wanna be a running team so u draft a PassBlocking tackle with known back problems?

But the statements about Oakley and Beekman are certainly encouraging.

How much of a statement was made about the two? All it really said is that IF either step up, Metcalf could be gone. Other than saying Beekman did okay in the first pre-season game, which we all have said too, they really didn't offer anything more regarding the two, and said nothing about the play of Oakley.

Not picking a fight here, just pointing out they didn't really say much more than the two have a shot.

No, you're right. I was reading a little into it. Probably looking for some positive news on the OL where there hasn't been much.

CrackerDog, you just wrote that Nfo was RIGHT!!!!! :banghead

I have in the past and will, most likely, do so again in the future. In all seriousness, I have a lot of respect for the little pisser.

BTW, I think I know why I said what I said earlier. I watched the video on ChicagoBears.com with Larry Mayer and he was talking up the same guys mentioned in this article. So, I think I combined the two into a big boner of joy for our line. Fact is, neither was really that much to get excited about.