Looking back, what offseason moves should've been made?

selection7

Things with which I disagree

Michael Turner: Would have been overpriced for a relative unknown

He asked what we would have done. Personally, I think he is a special player. It's not something the team needed to do, but something I would have looked into. The Bears may have gotten some kind of hometown discount, but probably not since he went where the money was.

Bryant Johnson: Pointless considering the fact there is a logjam at WR right now, and the OL stinks so bad that there could never be a valid evaluation.

Agreed, but I would have broke the bank to bring in Faneca, looked at other free agents and drafted some OL. Bennet and Monk wouldn't be on the team. Lloyd would have never been brought in. Bradley would have been gone by now. My log jam would have been Bryant Johnson, Bernard Berian, Hester, Davis, Booker and Hass.

Bernard Berrian: Best WR last year, but not a #1, and not worthy of the tag. Watch him suck this year for the Vikes.

We differ on this, but we'll see how he does this year. I always liked what I had seen from Berrian.

Derek Anderson: See Michael Turner. Overpriced to get him. Sell high, buy low...not the other way around.

I don't think the price was too high, as much as the team needs so much. I wouldn't have paid the price, but looking at the Bears QB history, it would have been tempting. I would have addressed the QB situation most likely by signing Culpepper. He and Orton could have fought it out in camp. All along, working on the QB future that I drafted.

Chad Pennington: Abso-friggin-lutely not. He would be worse than Rex or Orton with this OL. His noodle arm would have done nearly nothing except throw INTs under pressure. At least with the two we have there is a chance of a ball squeezing through a window.

I never have gotten the Orton and Grossman are better then Pennington because they can throw the ball harder/faster.

It may sound like I am spending alot of money, but here's how I would have gotten it.

A) Grossman would have never been resigned and Orton would have never gotten his extension.

B) As big as a fan as I am of Dez, he would have never gotten his extension.

C) Ricky Manning Jr. would be gone.

D) Hester would have had to wait for his extension and prove he was worth a comparable contract to what Berian signed. That was just a ridiculous amount they signed him to IMHO.

E) Briggs would be gone. I like Briggs, but you can't put all your money in D, if you want some O too. Between using the money to give him an offense, and another LB getting paid, it may have kept Urlacher from wanting more money...

I think that would have freed up enough to bring in Faneca, sign Culpepper, bring in Bryant Johnson and possibly look at another linemen or 2 in free agency.

The main jam I would have been in would have been thanks to Benson. I would have drafted OL in the first and Brohm in the second or vice versa. Unless Forte fell to the third, where I did want him drafted, I would have drafted Oline in the third and another round too.

1) QBs:I'm not necessarily saying Rex or Kyle are better than Pennington, but with the pressure they face, they have even less time, and even less field to distribute the ball. Pennington's arm absolutely sucks, and I'm convinced he would be a disaster for this year. The Bears can still sign Culpepper...and probably should have done it a while ago. Now, however, it is too late for him to truly come in and be the starter. Nice insurance policy though.

2) WRs:"Bryant Johnson, Bernard Berian, Hester, Davis, Booker and Hass" - I don't see how that's all that different than what the Bears have now. Either way, there is a lot of unproven talent that will have to split time, thus minimizing their impact. And on top of that there is a garbage OL and an inconsistent (at best) QB throwing the ball. What this means is, the Bears don't know what their WRs can do...or would do with your group.

3) Briggs: I don't see a problem with releasing Briggs if you spend elsewhere on offense.

4) Dez Clark's extension: I agree with this one. The double-TE set sure as hell better show up this year or it's a complete waste.

5) Hester: I think your decision, while normally something I agree with, would have ultimately lost Hester for the team. And that would be horrible.

name='Bears 88' date='Aug 17 2008, 09:12 PM' post='44247']

Mongo345, who was this stud WR before we signed Booker?

I didn't say stud. I said better. Bryant Johnson has more upside/talent than Booker and it would not have killed us to franchise Berrian for a year, while we stabilized the position.

Enlighten me please.
You don't know much about football. You ask, I'll enlighten. :rolleyes:

I don't know much about football.........lol.

I've watched plenty of football in my lifetime to know what i'm talking about.

I also played football.

So, don't give me that BS.

Better yet, why don't you go work for ESPN?

You might be the missing piece to replacing Sean Salisbury. :rolleyes:

Last thing, learn how to use the quote button correctly.

I didn't say stud. I said better. Bryant Johnson has more upside/talent than Booker and it would not have killed us to franchise Berrian for a year, while we stabilized the position.

You don't know much about football. You ask, I'll enlighten. :rolleyes:

There were quite a few WR's available looking back at the list. Bryant Johnson was just a guy I really wanted. All though I wouldn't call any studs and don't know what they are getting paid, here were some available.

Antonio Bryant

Darrel Jackson

Bryant Johnson

Justin McCareins

Jerry Porter

Dante Stallworth

Javon Walker

Like I said, not the best ever, but some names worth giving a shot. There's also a bunch of other receivers that people kept mentioning that I didn't list.