Booker, Lloyd & Bradley on the bubble?

Da Bears 88

Going into the Bears’ second preseason game in Seattle, team insiders told PFW that Devin Hester, Rashied Davis and third-round rookie Earl Bennett looked assured of spots in the WR corps, but that it might be a different story altogether for newcomers Marty Booker and Brandon Lloyd and former second-round pick Mark Bradley. Word is those three players could be locked in a pretty tight battle for two roster spots, with the team presumably leaning toward carrying only five receivers on the final roster.

Link

Going into the Bears’ second preseason game in Seattle, team insiders told PFW that Devin Hester, Rashied Davis and third-round rookie Earl Bennett looked assured of spots in the WR corps, but that it might be a different story altogether for newcomers Marty Booker and Brandon Lloyd and former second-round pick Mark Bradley. Word is those three players could be locked in a pretty tight battle for two roster spots, with the team presumably leaning toward carrying only five receivers on the final roster.

I think after last nights game, we can scratch Lloyd of the list of those on the bubble, and there is no way they cut Booker. So if this is true, bye bye Bradley.

Unless Bradley does something in a game, he'll be long gone. The guy hasn't done shit in the NFL. He's had a couple good games but the only thing he's really proven is that he can't stay on the field.

It was a bad pick at the time and turned into an even worse pick (no one had Bradley graded as a 2nd round WR and I remember bitching and moaning when that selection was made).

In fact, I actually believe the Bradley/Bazuin picks were the two worse picks of Angelos tenure (I say that because I can't put fault on Benson's selection, no one could have seen that). But Bazuin was a luxury pick (given we had no need at DE) and because of such JA had to hit to make it worthwile (cause the Bears had some needs in other areas which weren't addressed...COUGH OLINE). Bradley went with other much better WR's still on the board.

After watching the game via DVR among those three Bradley is going to go and the reason why may not be his route running (although I suspect it isn't great) his run blocking absolutely sucks. He makes no effort and seems to play this game while trying not to get hurt. He doesn't do much on special teams either (did block a punt when unblocked but who can't).

For the record Lloyd's run blocking sucks too but he has been more productive in the receiving game.

After watching the game via DVR among those three Bradley is going to go and the reason why may not be his route running (although I suspect it isn't great) his run blocking absolutely sucks. He makes no effort and seems to play this game while trying not to get hurt. He doesn't do much on special teams either (did block a punt when unblocked but who can't).

For the record Lloyd's run blocking sucks too but he has been more productive in the receiving game.

Was on the chat room last night with several others. Best line of the night goes to Cracker who said Bradley blocked the punt with his giant vagina.

Outstanding!!!!!

Peace :dabears

Am I the only one who thinks Bennet has sucked these past 2 games? He looked good in the TC videos so I was excited to see him play on TV and so far I'm disappointed. Some may point at the kick return but I think that was more of a fluke than anything else, coverage was horrible that play. He didn't look quick at all, I was shocked he scored (happy of course).

Am I the only one who thinks Bennet has sucked these past 2 games? He looked good in the TC videos so I was excited to see him play on TV and so far I'm disappointed. Some may point at the kick return but I think that was more of a fluke than anything else, coverage was horrible that play. He didn't look quick at all, I was shocked he scored (happy of course).

Agreed on that 100%. I've said all along, as great as Devin Hester is, he benefits one helluva a lot from our special teams play. That fact that you see Bennett, and 3 years ago when Vasher ran the missed field goal back, tells me that Hester would simply be good/great on most teams, as opposed to "best ever," the way he is with the Bears.

I think after last nights game, we can scratch Lloyd of the list of those on the bubble, and there is no way they cut Booker. So if this is true, bye bye Bradley.

Maybe. But we kept 6 WR's all last season. While we're likely to keep 4 running-backs, the word is that we'll only be keeping one full-back (McKie) and that Lousaka Polite may be the odd man out.

Not to mention that either Mike Mulligan or Brad Biggs said today we'll probably only keep 2 active QB's.

In other words, I'd be shocked as hell if we didn't keep 6 WR's. IMO it all comes down to Bradley vs. Hass, and after last night, with his special teams play, Bradley has the edge.

bennett hasn't had many chances catching passes, and the two he has...he dropped em...so yeah id say hes been unimpressive outside the punt return....

however, i went to vandy so i saw bennett play just about every single game in his career.....he'll be fine and he'll stop dropping those balls...i thought it said alot that he was playing with the 1st unit last night (even though probably because davis was gone)

Maybe. But we kept 6 WR's all last season. While we're likely to keep 4 running-backs, the word is that we'll only be keeping one full-back (McKie) and that Lousaka Polite may be the odd man out.

Not to mention that either Mike Mulligan or Brad Biggs said today we'll probably only keep 2 active QB's.

In other words, I'd be shocked as hell if we didn't keep 6 WR's. IMO it all comes down to Bradley vs. Hass, and after last night, with his special teams play, Bradley has the edge.

Hass is gone. And Bradley is just hanging in there. Bennett is gonna stick, thanks in large part to showing he can field punts and be there if Hester can't.

But it really won't matter much if we don't have an Oline, cause there just won't be any passes thrown.

With our Offensive line being just that "offensive". What logic is there in keeping only two active QBs? My guess is Orton will be the starter, do they ship Grossman and keep the future HOF Hanie? or do they keep Rex, and pray that Hanie doesn't get snatched off the practice squad. I hope they keep all three that we have now. In fact the way our line protects the QB Hanie may be the only one with the mobility to survive.

With our Offensive line being just that "offensive". What logic is there in keeping only two active QBs? My guess is Orton will be the starter, do they ship Grossman and keep the future HOF Hanie? or do they keep Rex, and pray that Hanie doesn't get snatched off the practice squad. I hope they keep all three that we have now. In fact the way our line protects the QB Hanie may be the only one with the mobility to survive.

I know we've been through this, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if another team tries to snatch Hanie off our practice squad, we have the option of adding him to our 53 man roster. If that happens, we dump Mark Bradley or whoever, and add him. Realistically, with almost half the teams just keeping two QB's active, I'd be shocked as hell if someone is dying for Hanie.

Basically, we'd be keeping all 3.

I know we've been through this, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if another team tries to snatch Hanie off our practice squad, we have the option of adding him to our 53 man roster. If that happens, we dump Mark Bradley or whoever, and add him. Realistically, with almost half the teams just keeping two QB's active, I'd be shocked as hell if someone is dying for Hanie.

Basically, we'd be keeping all 3.

You first have to cut him to put him on the practice squad when you go down to the 53 man roster. He has to clear waivers before you can sign him to the practice squad. There is the problem.

Peace :dabears

http://www.detnews.com/2005/lions/0509/18/C13-318580.htm

That's an old article from 2005, but it gives a pretty good explanation of the practice squad. Any player on the practice squad is considered a free agent and can be signed at any time by any team.

A little more detailed explanation in legaleze:

Practice Squad Rules

Posted by Frank Hughes @ 04:58:24 pm This is courtesy of a site called Miguel's Frequently Asked Questions:

After noon EST on September 2nd, each club may establish a Practice Squad of no more than eight (8) players who are free agents.The practice squad shall consist of the following players, provided that they have not served more than two previous seasons on a Practice Squad: (i) players who do not have an Accrued Season of NFL experience; and (ii) free agent players who were on the Active List for fewer than nine regular season games during their only Accrued Season(s). An otherwise eligible player may be a practice squad player for a third season only if the Club by which he is employed that season has at least 53 players on its Active/Inactive List during the entire period of his employment. A player shall be deemed to have served on a Practice Squad in a season if he has passed the club’s physical and been a member of the club’s Practice Squad for at least three regular season or postseason games during his first two Practice Squad seasons, and for at least one regular season or postseason game during his third Practice Squad season. (A bye week counts as a game provided that the player is not terminated until after the regular season or postseason weekend in question.) and who did not dress for more than eight (8) regular season games during their only accrued (i.e., on the 53 man roster for at least 6 games) season. Minimum salary for a practice squad player shall be $4,700 per week for the 2006-07 League Years, $5,200 per week for the 2008-10 League Years and the 2011 League Year if it is an Uncapped Year, and $5,700 per week for the 2011 League Year if it is a Capped Year and the 2012 League Year, including postseason weeks in which his Club is in the playoffs. Aigher salary can be negotiated. In addition, a player under contract to a club as a Practice Squad player is completely free to sign a contract with another NFL club during the season in order to be on the second club's Active/Inactive (i.e., 53 man) list. A practice squad player may not sign an NFL Player Contract with his Club’s next opponent later than 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the sixth day preceding the game (except in bye weeks, when the prohibition commences on the tenth day preceding the game).If another club signs a Practice Squad player to its 53 man roster it does not have to provide any sort of compensation to the player's former club but it generally must keep the player on the 53 man roster for at least 3 weeks, thereby mandating that he earns in 2007 the minimum first year salary for said 3 week period ($285,000 prorated weekly). Also note that a team can add and release players from the practice squad as often as it desires and the eight (8) man limit does not have to be maintained. A player may be on the practice squad for two seasons; three weeks on the practice squad count as a season. An otherwise eligible player may be a practice squad player for a third season only if the Club by which he is employed that season has at least 53 players on its Active/Inactive List during the entire period of his employment. The League may elect to allow some or all Clubs to add to their practice squads one additional player, who shall not count against the limit above, whose citizenship and principal place of residence are outside the United States and its Territories (“International Player”). The League’s election in any one season shall not determine or affect its election in any subsequent season