Dan Bazuin to get cut?

Da Bears 88

While it's difficult to imagine general manager Jerry Angelo cutting a second-round pick after one year, Bazuin still isn't fully recovered from a knee injury he suffered in rookie minicamp. It swells up from time to time. Complicating matters for him is the need for depth inside at tackle, where the Bears were overrun by injuries last season. If it comes down to keeping an extra interior lineman or an end, the Bears are going to look inside, and Idonije provides roster flexibility.

Bazuin spent all of last season on injured reserve and is in a situation where he may need to perform well in the next two games to make a case for himself.

Link

only first 3 rounds and starting in 1997 (number before the name is the overall draft pick selection)

overall name

1997- 38 John Allred

69 Bob Sapp

1998- 5 Curtis Enis

1999- 12 Cade McNown

48 Russell Davis

71 D'Wayne Bates

Maybe even Rex Tucker

2000- 69 Dez White

87 Dustin Lyman

2001- 8 David Terrell

68 Mike Gandy

Lucky "The Train" had a good rookie yr

2002- 29 Mark Colombo

72 Roosevelt Williams

93 Terrance Metcalf

2003- 14 Michael Haynes

22 Rex Grossman (still plays like a rookie)

2004- 47 Terry Johnson

2005- 4 Cedric Benson

39 Mark Bradley

2006- 42 Danieal Manning

73 Dusty Dvoracek (has he ever been off the PUP)

2007- 62 Dan Bazuin

94 Michael Okwo (still has time to prosper)

2008- 14 Chris Williams

Can they IR him again?

Yes. I read the article and thought they were absolute idiots for suggesting we'd cut him. The article even states that we don't really know what he can do because he's not fully rehabilitated yet. Why the hell would you cut a 2nd round draft pick his 2nd year just because he's hurt??? Stupid.

Yes. I read the article and thought they were absolute idiots for suggesting we'd cut him. The article even states that we don't really know what he can do because he's not fully rehabilitated yet. Why the hell would you cut a 2nd round draft pick his 2nd year just because he's hurt??? Stupid.

I doubt we cut him also, I believe he signed a 7.65 million dollar contract over 4 years, so we probably still owe about 1-1/2 to 2 million in guarantees. It would sure be a shame to cut him loose before we can really see his talent. If anything, maybe he will go on the PUP list if that is at all possible.

I don't understand all the bashing of Bazuin who has played a total of about 4 quarters in the NFL.

Here's some preseason stats for comparison:

tackles/solo sacks

Mark AndersonCHI DE 0 0 0 0.0

Dan Bazuin CHI DE 5 5 0 0.0 (missed sack when he overran QB in endzone)

Alex Brown CHI DE 2 2 0 1.0

Adewale OgunleyeCHI DE 2 2 0 1.0

Israel Idonije CHI DE 2 2 0 1.0

I keep hearing Bazuin has done nothing yet he has more tackles than Mark Anderson and both are backup DEs. For sure Bazuin is getting more time late in the games than either of the top 3 but Anderson is getting time against backups too. Isn't he supposed to shine then? Sure he had one nice outside/inside move and got pressure on the QB against KC yet Bazuin has done the same. I guess people want to cut Bazuin so we can keep the great Israel Idonije at DE who did this last year:

G TCKLS SOLO AST SACKS INT YDS AVG LG TD

16 20 14 6 0 0 0 0.0 0 0

Idonije is going to get a look at DE tomorrow; with his added 30lbs but I suspect he won't be as fast or agile turning the corner as he was last year, and he wasn't good at it last year. We need 4 DEs on our roster because we must have 3 who can rotate within a game. I'll be the one wild card and say that Idonije is getting time at DE because he can be active for game days and still fill in there in case of injury during a game. I don't think it's the coaches intention to use him as the primary DE backup as they did last year.

I think Bazuin has been far from awful, as many suggest, and I expect he'll show more progress this game as he did against Seattle. JA won't be too quick to give up on a 2nd Rd pick after 6-8 quarters of football.

I want to add that in the last game Idonije showed more at DT with his new physique than I've seen from him in 4 years at either DE or DT. I want to see him repeat that again tomorrow but remember San Fran will be playing backup OG/OT as their starters. DT may be the right spot for him and the combo of Harris, Dusty, Adams, Harrison, and Idonije is looking pretty good to me right now.

I'll stick with DE of Brown, Anderson, Bazuin, Ogun

Harrison and Bazuin will be inactive on game days until there's an injury.

name='AZ54' date='Aug 20 2008, 10:08 PM' post='44584']

I want to add that in the last game Idonije showed more at DT with his new physique than I've seen from him in 4 years at either DE or DT. I want to see him repeat that again tomorrow but remember San Fran will be playing backup OG/OT as their starters. DT may be the right spot for him and the combo of Harris, Dusty, Adams, Harrison, and Idonije is looking pretty good to me right now.

I have to eat a little crow on Idonije. He has looked pretty good so far.

Bazuin sucked last night. San Fran often lined up the LT and a TE over him and then the TE just blocked down. Sometimes the LT doubled him and others he would pull back to the outside. Not once did I see Bazuin follow the LT and get upfield.

Jerry really needs to stop picking guys coming off injury problems in college. See Mark Bradley, Dusty Davorewhatever (is he alive? I dont even know.) Airease Curie, and now this guy..

You must not have watched the game against SF, if you had you would definately know Dusty is alive and well!

How much have things changed? Back in 1985 it was common for day-one draft picks to wait their turn for 1-2, sometimes 3 years before getting on the field. Free agency changed that. Now after Dusty gets IR'd by JA for a minimal issue he gets hurt the next year blocking on a KR and now he's a bust.

HE PLAYED? Haha well good.. I didn't get to see the game unfortunately :( I heard Orton played really well and Kevin Jones had a nice run.

He was very good, this guy is going to make an outstanding DT. Great motor, strong, good technique, put next to Tommie, will remind us of Hampton/McMichael combo.